Sign in to follow this  
Jesi

Hikari - Is That The Best?

I've always kind of just bought the common brands of food like Tetra, and whatever you can find at chain stores. I hear a lot about Hikari brand and wanted to get some bloodworms so my orandas wens would puff up a little as they are all kind of flat and boring. I got Hikari brand dried, was going to get frozen but frankly, they skeeve me out. I searched for Hikari food for goldfish and could only find stuff for other kinds of fish... Anyone got any tips as to what I can feed them or other brands that are excellent? I hear a lot about gel food, but I am really busy with my 2 small kids that I really don't have the brain to keep up with that, plus people put weird things in there like dog vitamins and whatnot, and I'm just not sure what's ok for fish, so I just buy the stuff that's already made because I'm a lazy butt. Any tips would be super helpful! Also I think I heard about spirulina? I thought that was a pasta or something, haha! Then when I was looking at the nasty frozen bloodworms I saw that it was shrimp...so that's good for them too? I think I saw some of that dried as well.

Thanks guys!

Actually if you are willing to shell a bit of cash, Mazuri gel food can be bought from Goldfish Utopia online. Ask Ed about it there. You may use it by itself or combine with homemade gel foods. You just need to use 50:50 ratio. A cup of Mazuri gel powder to a cup of water will produce you enough to last at least 4-6 weeks for 2-3 goldfish with size ranging from 2 to 5 inches. I'd give that a shot.

You may try baby foods with sardines/mackerel/tuna and then multivitamins and acidophilus with Knox gelatin (2-3 sachets only). It'll take only 15 minutes to combine both. Keep them frozen all the time. When it's time to feed, slice what is enough for your fish to eat and replace the rest immediately in the fridge. Do not allow your surplus foods to thaw out or the quality will quickly deteriorate.

I also use Hikari Lionhead. Sinking pellets and have absolutely no issues using that with my own goldfish.

I heard a lot of people use Hikari Lionhead for all their wenned fish, no matter if lionhead, ranchu or oranda. The Hikari Lionhead contains a higher amount of protein which is what is needed for the wen to grow, that is basically the only difference between this and the other Hikari goldfish foods.

I for example use the Saki Hikari Fancy Color Enhancing type for almost all my goldfish, even for the two single tails. The only ones who don't get it is my black and my white telescope because I don't want them to get a yellow tinge.

Gel food is also easily prepared, even if you do it all yourself. Like get a can of tuna (in water), open it, rinse it to get the salt out, get a couple jars of baby food vegetables such as peas, carrots, green beans, get the acidophilus and vitamins, mix it all together (either by hand and have some larger junks of tuna in it, or in a blender), stir in the gelatin, let it cool and get firm in the fridge - done. Takes about 15 minutes. :)

One question to Lupin though: What kind of multivitamins, and how much? I never put any in my gelfood since I feed it to my fish only once or twice a week. I'm just curious!

Centrum is what is often used. I've always used this for snails and goldfish. Even discus enthusiasts use them. A tablet for 3-4 cups of gel foods will be fine. Actually, any multivitamins will work as long as the iron is not high enough that could cause problems to your fish but Centrum never is so it's totally fine. Try the vitamins intended for men. They will have less or no iron at all.

Edit: I feed my goldfish with gel food daily.

Edited by Lupin

i put crushed garlic and multi vits but with no iron, in my gel food

peas green beans carrots and shadow loves it.x

oh and gelatine of course lol

Edited by sumer

Thanks, Lupin! I always wondered about that. Since I rarely feed the gel food I didn't worry about it, but I would like to increase the gel food amount fed to them :)

Some top Thai ranchu and oranda breeders will grab several boxes of Hikari Lionhead when they visit Singapore.