Is It Required To Fertlize Plants?

Jesi

I had a couple live plants in the past that died, when we move I am going to get some more now that one of those chain petstores has them for sale in little tubes. I always hated having to find an associate to get one out of a tank for me, plus they aren't contaminated by other fish because they grow in this gel stuff you just rinse off and plant, and they're pretty darn cheap too. I'm just wondering is it absolutely necessary to fertlize? I pretty much plan on it but I just wanted to know what it will do to my water parameters and whatnot, if anything.

I add ferts, because I noticed that my plants grow better and survive my goldfish grazing on them better. I use A liquid fert (with everything) and a CO2-fert. The last one makes my Anubias (and Cabomba) grow faster.

I do not see anything off during testing. Unless you count the lower nitrate levels, as the plants grow quicker ;)

Ok, sounds good!

I don't add ferts. But some plants don't do well in my planted tanks and some do great. If I was you I would try different plants next time. Something on the easy grow low light list. Adding ferts can get tricky and expensive.

I don't add ferts. But some plants don't do well in my planted tanks and some do great. If I was you I would try different plants next time. Something on the easy grow low light list. Adding ferts can get tricky and expensive.

When plants are cheap I advise to buy them and see what survives.

Anubias is expensive here (Belgium) and I want to keep them alive. One even grew so big I tried to split it. I'll see of it worked in a couple of weeks ;)

I don't use ferts on my plants and they all grow well, maybe a bit slower.

Regarding the "tube" plants, be careful, some of the ones in the tubes are not re aquatic plants and will die off quickly.

I don't use ferts on my plants and they all grow well, maybe a bit slower.

Regarding the "tube" plants, be careful, some of the ones in the tubes are not re aquatic plants and will die off quickly.

I have found that only 1 in the 20 or so types of plants they sell actually are semi-aquatic! Most are bog plants, and some are even terrarium plants!

Especially since true aquatic plants would die in that gel stuff because not only do their roots need to be submerged, but their leaves do, too!

Yep those are expensive here too and I have some that I have had for years. I still don't use ferts even on them.

You are lucky. Godzilla loves Anubias roots and eats leaves from time to time. If I don't give Anubias ferts it just passes away slowly.