Sign in to follow this  
spillie

Seasoned Driftwood With Holes For Plants

I just bought some seasoned driftwood from the LFS. It was in a tank so s soft, no rough edges. It has holes with some sort of material placed in there for plants to be rooted in. I like this idea as I do not have gravel. One came with a small anubias( (I think) already rooted in that material in one of the holes. Very pretty! But, do I need to worry about these holes and filler material re bad bacteria? If so, I can just tie the plants to driftwood instead. What is your experience?

Was it in a tank with fish or central filtration? If it was I would boil it. It can have brought back something unwanted from the store. Mainly germs :( boil the driftwood not the plant. I would also remove the plant and bleach it. Then tie it back onto the wood to get the roots going again.

How is it attatched?

I agree with ashlee, boil the thing to kill all germs and bacteria that might have come with it. And give the plants a bleach dip.

I gave everything a pp bath for about 30 minutes, but did not think about boiling the wood--that's a good idea. Will PP work for the plants? I heard that bleach will kill the anacharis (but I could bleach the anubias/java fern, I think. They were in a tank without fish, but with central filtration. Will definitely boil the wood!

The way it is attached is someone drilled a 1" shallow hole in to th wood, and filled it with something that looks kind of tlike thing, strawlike fibers. The plant then is stuck into that.

The PP should work. I know many people use it, although I do not.

If you can boil the wood without removing the plant then go for it. I don't know exactly how it is put together so I can't give specific directions. But of course, keep the plant out of the boiling water because I'm sure it will get killed in those temps.

Off topic, but Ashlee, I have an oranda that looked just like Ike for like 2 years...now his color randomly, and quite quickly pretty much disappeared and he looks like Stan. He's huge too so it's not like he was a baby, he's probably 4 or 5 inches long. Isn't that weird? LOL

I bought the same type, driftwood with an anubias on it, I did the PP treatment and have had no ill affects.

Thanks--good to know! I am debating getting rid of the "plug" that holds the plant in there, which on closer inspection looks kind of like blond peat moss of something, It was pped, but I did not take it out of the wood...(I worry about everything these days, I'll admit it, jeez...)

ive not had problems with small pieces of wood... like the ones people attached plants to, its the big ones that are hollow that Ive had problems with :(