Why I Had To Get The Huge Red Oranda

Guest jayhawks

Guest jayhawks

well its a very sad story.

as you all know, pet$mart only wants the money, they dont really care about the fish and what type of life they will have. a week ago when the fish shipment arrived, my poor red oranda was in with a bunch of barbs completely stressed out with fins clamped and a not moving at all. the employee said that he had just arrived about two hours ago in the last fish shipment. i told my parents about this huge fish and my dad said he would meet me over at the store the following day. the very next day i went over there again. while my dad was searching the dog food area, there was another customer who wanted to buy the large red oranda to feed to his piranah tank. he said "thats the ugliest fish i have ever seen. i want to put it out of its misery and use it as food for my fish." he asked to buy the fish and when the employee said it was $30 he said "cost ain't an issue. give me the fish now." so a few moments later the employee netted the oranda into a bucket and labeled it. just about when the fish was being handed over to the customer, i said that i wanted the fish as well. another employee (later found out she was the manager) said that only one of us could take the fish. when the employee was told that the fish was going to be used as food for other fish, she handed the fish to me. i said "that oranda is a living creature. feeding it to other fish for food would be considered animal cruelty." i just had to save him so my dad bought him for me and he is doing very well with my lemonhead.

here is a picture of the oranda i saved

IMG_0511.jpg?t=1294943934

Guest jayhawks

I thought you said before that your dad bought you this fish as a surprise, and you didn't know about it until he brought it home to you?

no, that was the lemonhead that was the suprise. i may have confused the things up a little before.

I thought you said before that your dad bought you this fish as a surprise, and you didn't know about it until he brought it home to you?

no, that was the lemonhead that was the suprise. i may have confused the things up a little before.

I thought the lemon head was a surprise from your mom?

Thread title: "My Daddy bought me another large Oranda"

First post:

well well, i wasn't expecting this. my dad never bought me a major christmas present, so he decided to bring me another fish :P its a large red oranda, about .5 inches larger than the lemonhead. he is in the tub with the other fish since the tank is still cycling. i will post a few pictures of him later.

Are you sure you confused that?

Even though I'm a little confused at the story (I also thought this one was a surprise, maybe I missed something), I'm glad you were able to bring a happy ending to your red oranda. :) Some people just get their kicks doing this kind of stuff. I guess they think the irony is funny; buying an expensive ornate fish just to be used as food. glare.gif

But congrats on your oranda--actually on both your orandas. I hope you guys have many happy years together. :)

Guest jayhawks

it was a surprise because i didn't know that he was going to let me buy the fish. that is what surprised me. its tough to get things out of my dad but he said it was a late christmas gift to me.

here are a couple pictures of him from earlier today

IMG_0526.jpg?t=1295042168

IMG_0525.jpg?t=1295042177

Edited by jayhawks

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BeavisMom, this thread is defunct. There was quite a bit of concern over the veracity of this person's stories. Eventually, he was banned from the board.

well its a very sad story.

as you all know, pet$mart only wants the money, they dont really care about the fish and what type of life they will have. a week ago when the fish shipment arrived, my poor red oranda was in with a bunch of barbs completely stressed out with fins clamped and a not moving at all. the employee said that he had just arrived about two hours ago in the last fish shipment. i told my parents about this huge fish and my dad said he would meet me over at the store the following day. the very next day i went over there again. while my dad was searching the dog food area, there was another customer who wanted to buy the large red oranda to feed to his piranah tank. he said "thats the ugliest fish i have ever seen. i want to put it out of its misery and use it as food for my fish." he asked to buy the fish and when the employee said it was $30 he said "cost ain't an issue. give me the fish now." so a few moments later the employee netted the oranda into a bucket and labeled it. just about when the fish was being handed over to the customer, i said that i wanted the fish as well. another employee (later found out she was the manager) said that only one of us could take the fish. when the employee was told that the fish was going to be used as food for other fish, she handed the fish to me. i said "that oranda is a living creature. feeding it to other fish for food would be considered animal cruelty." i just had to save him so my dad bought him for me and he is doing very well with my lemonhead.

here is a picture of the oranda i saved

IMG_0511.jpg?t=1294943934

Sweetness! Good one. He/she's a keeper!!! :)So glad you saved it.

• 5 weeks later...