New Filter

Hello again! I just installed my Bio-Wheel 350 filter in my 20 gallon tank, it is about 13 days old, will this filter change do anything drastic to my cycling? And should I be ready to do emergency water changes?

Also: Does the water normally get cloudy when you install a new filter?

Edited by xMrBaconx

Your old filter contained media (I assume) that had beneficial bacteria growing in it, which aids in the nitrogen cycle. Removing the filter would cause a major bump in your cycle. BB grows on everything in your tank, gravel, ornaments etc. So you may have not removed it all. You may be going through a bacteria bloom now while the bacteria propagates, which causes cloudy water. Fill your filter with as much media as possible for the bateria to grow on and keep up with daily water changes to aid in cycling. A water test of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates will tell more of the story to be sure.

Okay I will do that, I figured that by removing my old filter, It would cause some issues, I could see some of the BB buildup on the bio wheel of my old one.

I also have two biowheels now and a lot more room in the filter, so wouldn't that theoretically boost the speed of my cycling?

Edited by xMrBaconx

Yep I would say you caused a huge bump in your cycle. You want to keep your ammonia and nitrites as low as possible (some is required for the tank to cycle). But ammonia and nitrites are toxic to the fish. So that means daily water changes. The goal is to end up with just nitrates which means the cycle is complete. I use Nutrifin Cycle which contains BB when I am cycling to speed up the process. I think Seachem makes a similar product.

If you have fish in the tank you want to keep it below .25, .50 is manageable but pushing it.

If no fish, then above 1 to get it cycled faster. 2 works fine as well :)

Eta: nitrites above 0 are toxic and you want to get it to as close to 0 as possible.

Edited by ashlee18

Thank you so so much! I was very concerned that my levels might be too high! I will keep them at around .25, I can't wait for my python syhphon to come in, that will make my daily lugging of water up and down two flights of stairs about 30 times each way less of a pain!

If the bio-wheel of your old filter fits in the slot of one of the two in your new filter, could you have put it in there? It may be too late now, since you've already made the change.

If the bio-wheel of your old filter fits in the slot of one of the two in your new filter, could you have put it in there? It may be too late now, since you've already made the change.

The bio-wheel from my old filter is about an inch too short to fit in the new one, that was the first thing I tried when I got it.

You could cut the old bio wheel and put it in the filter part to let the BB's soak into the filter media :)

That is a super awesome idea! I will go do that now, thank you! =]