Any Advice On A Good Divider?

Hatter is being over zealous in so many ways with the other fish that I've decided a divider is a good idea. I bought a top fin divider made for 29 to 55 gallon tanks. It didn't work at all. There was a two inch gap on both sides or a four inch gap on the top. Has anybody either DIY'd a good divider or bought a good divider? I would love any advice. Thanks!

I did a DIY for my fighter barracks once by having an thick, non bendable plastic sheet cut to size at the hardwear store (.5cm gap between plastic and tank walls), and then another peice of plastic on the bottom for stability, and heavy duty suction cups along the edges to hold it steady. drill holes for water and done! I don't know how durable something like this would be for goldfish though.

The DIY option might be worth looking into. I have top fin in my tank and they work fine, but they'll be too small for my bigger tank, so I am looking for an option, too. I tried the plastic grid you get at the craft store for needle work, but found it not stiff enough and again, not big enough. I wish I could find those "report binder" long plastic strips that the topfin dividers use in a bigger size. I looked online wthout success. But if you can find that,or something that works the same way (the manufacturer must have come up with other applications for that--I just don't know what/where to look for longer strips?) then you could easily put together several top fin dividers or even those needlework grids.

For keeping goldfish out of places they shouldn't be (for me it's the filter in my pond.....:rolleyes: ) I used eggcrate that you can get at Loews or Home Depot for like $10 (looks like this) and cut it to size. Then you just have to anchor it with some rocks, or even suction cups should work!

I like using it because you can get so many uses out of one sheet! I am toying with the idea of using one to make a wall of java moss too...