Sign in to follow this  
Jesi

Why Hasn't Anyone Invented This?

Or maybe they have, but I've never heard of it... Wouldn't it be cool to have some type of machine that did water changes for you? Like you could have it just hooked up with a couple of small tubes and have it suck out a certain amount and then replace it with dechlorinated same temperature water. Obviously you should still do water testing but it sure would be awesome to have some type of machine that just did that water changes for you! I think I might be onto something! LOL

I know that some rich people install something like that in their huge built in tank.

Yeah I guess the question wouldn't be why isn't it been invented, but rather, why isn't it more common or easily accessible for commonfolk like us?! I've always wondered how they did water changes in those big tanks, I can't picture people hauling buckets around...

I know some hobbyists already do this. I read on another forum how someone has or is planning to make a more or less automatic system that drains the water and refills it, more or less on the press of a button. Or the turn of a valve to be more accurate.

the next best thing is the python..

python no spill

i purchased one recently with another member "migaloo".. after a few teething problems, i've never carried another bucket again!... i have infact been "pythonated" LOL

Some people also have continuous water exchange systems, where a little water is always going out and coming in. Then you just need to do periodic cleaning on the tank, rather than big water changes. There was a topic on it a few years back.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/66252-continuous-water-exchange/

Neat idea, but I'm not sure I'm technical enough to figure it out, or if it is really feasible on a smaller tank.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, rather than a large water change, just have it continuously remove a bit and add a bit... Would make life so much easier!

They do that in Japan with their large farms, China as well. To have one for a common household tank would make no sense. The cost of it would be incredibly ridiculous for a regular tank. Plus they change the water daily so imagine your water bill.

Yeah but if you had it so it was a really small amount, it might not get too bad. For some reason where I live the more water you use the less your bill is...it's bizarre.

Continuous exchange systems are actually really common for people with more than just a few tanks. I know that Daryl has a couple CWE systems, and she talked me through setting one up. It's not that difficult actually, but you have to have a reservoir that can hold the right amount of water. For me that would mean another 200g reservoir...but she has well water, so she doesn't pay for most of her water (lucky her!) so she doesn't have to worry about a reservoir, she just hooks it right up to her well.