Large Pimple Like On The Side Of My Orange/white Oranda

dnalex

I have noticed that the last few days that my favorite oranda hasn't been acting normally during feeding time, and he has been keeping to himself. Today, during the morning feeding, I noticed that he lists slightly to the right, so I looked at him a lot more carefully than normal. I found that he has a large pimple like bump on his right abdomen. It has raised the scales in that area, and there is a slight redness. I couldn't be sure, but he may have lost a scale. I tried to take some pics, but they were not very good. Nevertheless, I will try to upload something when I get home.

From the above information, can anyone give me an idea what it might be and what I should do? I will go ahead and do a WC today and move him to a makeshift quarantine. Other than that, what do you suggest? My water parameters have been fine, and the other fish in the tank do not seem to have any problems. However, when I get home I will do a thorough check on all of them.

Thank you.

Hi. I can't really be of much help but it would help if you filled out the entire form above :)

I will posts some pics and fill out the form when I get home in a couple of hours. Thanks!

I managed to get a pretty good video showing the large bump, and the oranda was being very cooperative! Help, please!

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/tigglex/Sick%20Oranda/

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 15

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? N/A

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master drop tests

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g; 5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 HOB filters; 450gph total

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? weekly; 75%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 - 1 5 inches, the other 2-3 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime; salt (1 teaspoon/5 gallons)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x/day, NLS pellets, peas 1-2x/week

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? 1, over a week ago

[*]Any medications added to the tank? none

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? large pimple like bump (see video, please)

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? hides behind large ornament a lot, still eats but not as much, lists to the side of bump

It looks like it may be a cyst of some kind. I don't have experience with these, but from what I've read on here I am pretty sure you'll want to move the affected fish into a 10 gallon QT tank with a filter that has cycled media from your main tank. If the cyst bursts in the main tank it will expose your other fish to any nasties that are in the cyst, so it will be important to isolate this fish. By the time you get his QT set up, I bet someone will come along who has had experience with these type of cysts.

Secondly, I just want to make a few remarks about your set-up. These are suggestions that can help you avoid issues in the future:

1. Am I reading it correctly that you have seven goldfish in a 55g tank? If so, that's not enough space for those fish. The maximum amount of fish you can keep in that tank is 5, so be on the lookout for another tank or a larger tank for them.

2. Your pH is slightly on the low side. It's best to have it 7.2 or above. As long as you monitor it closely and you know that it never slips below 7.0, it should be fine. But at exactly 7.0 there is absolutely no wiggle room, because as soon as it drops below 7.0 the water will be toxic to the fish. So just keep a close eye on it.

3. Your filtration is pretty good, but still not quite sufficient. You'll want to either add another filter or replace one of your filters for a larger one so that the total GPH is at or above 550.

4. Salt. Was this just added because of the cyst issue you just noticed? Because it's not good to leave any concentration of salt in the water all the time with goldfish. This use of salt can cause parasites to become resistant to salt treatments, and can also be stressful on the fish.

That's all I got! :)

hi dnalex,

can not see the video only all black screen.

noted that yur fish is new only one week. that is a big danger signal for parasite.

look cosely at the "pimple" and see if thereis any red in it. or if any thing stringy is hanging out of the bump? then go look at pictures of most common parasites in cepepoda common names such as anchor worms. hope yu are lucky asthey are easy to get rid of.

Yup I agree with Sakura on everything.

I believe adding epson is beneficial to help 'suck out' the cyst and once it bursts you do a couple huge water changes to get the epson out and replace it with salt to disinfect :) (all in a QT)

Another remark is that, I find that these sort of things are mainly caused by a build up of organics/bacteria in the tank. I see that you have lots of gravel and rocks. Most of the members here have barebottom tanks for this reason. If you have gravel you really have to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and get any nasty gases that could be stuck under there out. Same reason why hollow ornaments should be avoided. These things can cause serious illnesses like dropsy etc. So make sure you give the tank and thorough cleaning. (If lots of gunk comes out you might have to remove the fish while you do it)

Hello,

Thank you for all the very useful advice so far. Yes, I agree that my tank is overstocked, and I am working on getting another tank. In the meantime however, I will do what I can to make sure they have a clean (non-toxic) home.

In response to the suggestions, I have done the following:

1. I have removed some of the gravel from the tank. I will need to remove more, and I will do it at the next water change since I understand that wholesale gravel removal might not be good for the tank.

2. I did an 80% WC and moved the oranda to a QT (with some media from old tank).

3. I need to add epsom salt to the tank as suggested. How much should I dose in?

I added the salt because my fantail as a rip in the tail (not infected). I will phase it out in the next couple of weeks.

I will be buy an AquaClear 70 in the next couple of weeks. This should raise the gph to 600+

Is there anything else I can do for the hurt fish?

Thank you in advance for your time and help :)

Since you already moved it not much you can do but just a tip for later I never remove a sick fish. I treat the whole tank just in case someone else has the same issue but not showing any sytems yet.

So I would treat the 55 gallon and the QT tank. Also I am sure you know this but you need to start looking for a second 55 gallon or a 75 gallon or larger tank cause you are over stocked.

Good luck.

• Supporter

when are you getting the new tank? is it possible to set your fish up in a suitable tub, like a rubbermaid of some sort? i went through a cyst stage with my fish and he needed to be qt'd for the best part of 2 months and i think more..

i treated with flagyl and salt. here is the link to rocky's scenario.. sorry, pictures are moved.. but the content is still there. rocky - cyst

when are you getting the new tank? is it possible to set your fish up in a suitable tub, like a rubbermaid of some sort? i went through a cyst stage with my fish and he needed to be qt'd for the best part of 2 months and i think more..

i treated with flagyl and salt. here is the link to rocky's scenario.. sorry, pictures are moved.. but the content is still there. rocky - cyst

I moved my fish to a quarantine tank, which I just set up today. The filter, however, came from the old tank and I bought an AC70 to replace the older filter I took for the QT.

• Supporter

okay.. that should do for now.. i know my link is long.. but if you can sift through all the member chat (and boy don't we know how to talk ;) ) you should be able to get some pretty good idea on what to do next and to keep maintaining until the cyst(s) burst..

do not be afraid to handle your fish in order to gain a good understanding of wether there is one or multiple. this will give you some indication of how long they will be in qt.. rocky had 5 or 6 cysts.. only one burst, the rest were reabsorbed by his body (like a pimple you never squeeze) treated with the meds.

other than the thread i have offered you, i have no more information to give. the key solution here is good daily waterchanges with salt once the wound opens if ever it does (personally i would not salt beforehand) and some antibiotics if required.

good luck.. you're oranda's a sweetheart :heart

• Supporter

I added salt, but I don't think I have access to flagyl. The LFS is closed today, so I will have to go tomorrow and look. I really hope he's going to be OK.

flagyl is the active ingredient in the meds.. we can't buy fish meds here (australia) so we have to harrass our doctors for a script for the active ingredient.. i thing you guys call it metro meds or somthing like that.. someone should stop by to either confirm or correct me,.

but handle the fish, bring him to the surface of the water with a torch and have a really good look at what might be under the scales.. how many "balls" do you see in that affected area.. there may be just the one, there could be several. the rest may not be visible as yet due to the swelling of the main one..

Thank you! I will as you suggest and take a really close look at him. He's actually very friendly, so the handling won't be difficult. So far, he is doing well in the QT. I will be reading through the thread you had referred to - that was exactly what I was asking for! :):thanks

• Supporter

Thank you! I will as you suggest and take a really close look at him. He's actually very friendly, so the handling won't be difficult. So far, he is doing well in the QT. I will be reading through the thread you had referred to - that was exactly what I was asking for! :):thanks

good work :) and whilst you have your fish at the surface and you do see more, take a couple of pics to share with us so we can see it too.. just incase it's something else that we can advise you on.

ciao for now.. i have to get some work done ;)

I just read the entire thread you had referred me to, and it seems like my poor oranda experienced the exact same problem as your Rocky. Although I am still very concerned, after reading the thread at least now I know what I can expect and what I should do (WCs, WCs, and more WCs). I don't have Metromeds readily available, and if the LFS does not have any, I will have to order some. I'm sure I will need this in the future, so it's good to get it now if I can.

MetroMeds you have to order from Goldfish Connection. But what you might find easier is the Jungle Anti Parasitic food. It has the same active ingredient inside. :)

Just another quick thing I noticed. You said you took the filter of the main tank for the hospital tank and put a new one on the main tank? Correct? Did you put some of the cycled media in the new filter? Otherwise it will not be cycled and you will have big problems in the main tank.

MetroMeds you have to order from Goldfish Connection. But what you might find easier is the Jungle Anti Parasitic food. It has the same active ingredient inside. :)

Just another quick thing I noticed. You said you took the filter of the main tank for the hospital tank and put a new one on the main tank? Correct? Did you put some of the cycled media in the new filter? Otherwise it will not be cycled and you will have big problems in the main tank.

I will go the LFS tomorrow and see what they have. If they have the Jungle food I will get that! :) (I'm hoping that they will have something!)

My main tank has two HOB filters (1 Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and 1 Marineland Biowheel 150). Together, they still don't add up to the 550+ gph as recommended. So, today I took the opportunity to correct that problem and had replaced the Marineland 150 with a Hagen AC70 (300gph). I moved the Marineland filter over to my QT. I figured this should be OK since I still had the cycled media in the larger Aqueon filter in my main tank. I also took the precaution to add some Nutrafin cycle to the main tank. I hope this was OK. :)

I plan on doing daily water parameter check on the main tank for the next week and probably daily parameter check/WC in my QT for some time.

Alright, I did a 90% WC today, and also went to LFS and bought medicated foods (anti-bacterial & anti-parasitic from Jungal). I tried to feed the Jungle anti-bacterial pellets to the fish, but those floating pellets just don't seem to want to sink, even after having been soaked for a really long time. My fish won't come up to the surface to eat the food. Any suggestions, please? :(

I think the anti-parasitic are better in this case. They contain the Metro which you need. Not the anti-bacterial.

What you need to do with those is soak them in tank water (like in a little cup) for about 10mins - just enough water to moisten them. THen after that you need to squeeze them (like you do with the peas) - bingo it will sink :) That is how I use them. (otherwise MAJOR constipation)