Sign in to follow this  
mikroll

Brine Shrimp Hatch Problems

Have had problems with Ocean Nutrition artemia eggs ,450 gram can, poor hatchs of brine shrimp for the baby goldfish. The out put was so poor that I just put the eggs aside and used other foods.

At first thought that I had done something wrong like wrong temps or salt or something like not cleaning the hatchery properly ? But now purchased eggs from another source supply and those hatches are just fine with high % hatches and water remains clean and clear.

Details are that these eggs from Ocean Nutrition just do not hatch and water becomes cloudy and stinks ( bad rot smell)within few hours. very very few eggs hatched.

I have used the eggs in small size box (50gram) from this supply before with good results. Now have switched to a German (Hobby and Sera) supply and note that the color of the eggs are different, Ocean Nutrition are a dark sand and gray color and Hobby are a lighter tan color sand.

I have contacted the Company and will post the comments they provide.

Now as have new babys I need eggs again and can and will not buy from this company until problem is resolved.

Have any of you had this problem and how did you solve it?

Well there are two things that might have happened. 1. You received an old packet. Or did you buy it in advance and not use it for a while? 2. Eggs should be stored in the freezer and taken out only 12 hours before use and only as much as you need for the next hatch. Also some brands are just worse than others, same goes for lots.

hi ashlee18 and thank you for you comments.

1." packet "is a one pound can of eggs and was ordered in Oct Date of ex had at least 11 months on it remaining when delivered. used from Christmas hatchs with zero results.

2. all eggs are always kept in cold storage and dispensed as needed.

Are you using heat when hatching the eggs?

temperature and salt % directions are being respected. Also tried some other temps and salts levels before giving up and getting more eggs. thing is that at 90 euro a pop eggs must be OK . also makes it rough on the new hatchs fry as many are lost if i can not keep up with food requirements. I think that tomorrow I will have to buy more eggs. those sold in the little packs do not last too long at all.

here are directions on two different suppliers

P1070905.jpg

Edited by mikroll

Have had problems with Ocean Nutrition artemia eggs ,450 gram can, poor hatchs of brine shrimp for the baby goldfish.

I have contacted the Company and will post the comments they provide.

Now as have new babys I need eggs again and can and will not buy from this company until problem is resolved.

Have any of you had this problem and how did you solve it?

Ocean Nutrition was provide a sample of the eggs and reported that they tested hatch very poor and inconsistant. they believe that poor handling /storage conditions produced these terrible results.

Today arrived their replacement sample which I shall now test as I have many little mouths to feed and the dinky 15gram vials( which is all i could find ) sold in shops have not lasted long. note new packageing and the ex date is 30 months.

P1080087.jpg

UPDATE: Ocean Nutrition artemia cysts 250 000 npg test hatch excellent. these are by far the best eggs I have ever had( tried several other brands). Super hatch rate and fast too with shrimps in less that 18 hour. I am pleased to report that problem is resolved.