Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jesi

Uv Curiousity

Recommended Posts

I have never really heard about UV sterilizers until I saw them in a pet store a couple nights ago. I may have seen them before and just not given much thought to them. I am interested in having the healthiest tank possible though, so I think I might give it a whirl. BUT... Will the UV fade my silk or plastic plants much like the sun? Will it be good or bad for live plants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uv sterilizers are like filters. Not actually a light but the water passes through a column that houses the uv light. I have one but only since I had serious problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one. Love it. Cleared up my green water. It is just a small submersible unit though, so doubt it does much in the way of killing anything else(parasites, etc)

Better ones do I think...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. mine is a 36 watt monster the size of my forearm lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is if you want live plants not to have one. But I think someone here has live plants and uses one. I just wouldn't.

And it can never replace the need for water changes or help with an over crowded tank. Still need to stick to the 10 gallon rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, does not replace water changes. I still do 50% once/week. But before getting the UV I was doing 50% twice/week, to stay ahead of green water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I don't know that much about them-just the basics, I suppose. There are UV clarifiers and UV sterilizers (and probably combos). Clarifiers take care of green water problems and sterilizers are supposed to kill bacteria and parasites. My personal choice is to disregard them completely, considering I have no green water problems in my tanks (and I believe it to be highly beneficial to goldies anyway) and I believe sterilizers aren't good for goldies in the long run. It's like keeping your kid in a bubble all his life, and then when he comes into contact with even the most common cold, he gets severely sick. I think it's best to let your fish build immmunity to most bacteria/parasites in your water. There will be casualties, yes, but I think it's better than trying to keep your fish in a pretty much sterile environment. Just my :twocents .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got mine since I lost 5 fish in six months. November and december were the first two months where I didn't lose any fish. Its been their lifesaver.

And I personally see it as if you never intend to introduce them to anything bad then you won't have a problem. That's IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I knew it wouldn't replace water changes but for some odd reason, especially in my 20 gallon tank I cannot seem to get rid of algae. I have to bleach my silk plants almost monthly so anything more I can do to try and prevent that hassle... Ugh! I always hate doing that because I know I'm washing away all the beneficial bacteria but I like a little bit of plants in the tank for the fish to hide in they all love the plants. I've even tried having NOTHING in there and the algae just starts on the glass! Grr!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UV does not impede surface algae, just suspended algae in the water. I still get green algae (mostly green dust algae, which is not the healthy green algae we all want...not harmful either, but a nuisance, it only goes on the glass sides/bottom)And I have a little good green algae growing ON the UV filter. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well poo. I've tried plecos and snails and they just can't or won't keep up with it so I just stopped using them. Is there any other solution to the stupid algae?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, no other solutions. You can safely let the green algae grow on tank surfaces though, it doesn't hurt the fish at all. A nice carpet of green algae is a sign of a healthy tank. The fish can actually nibble on it through the day, and it also provides a soft covering over the hard surfaces that they often bump into. No need to scrub it off.

But I always recommend a good UV anyways, to help maintain the health of the fish. I have the 25 watt powerhouse UV from Goldfish Connection. It is ENORMOUS and it kills 99% of bacteria, viruses, parasites, and green water algae. Most small UVs on the market only clear up green water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I don't mind it so much on the glass, it does bother me though. I really hate when it's on my plants though just because they are vibrant colors... I tend to go for pink and purple and blue plants, not the common green ones just to be unique so when they get covered in algae I get mad. LOL I have watched to see if the fish would eat the algae and I've never seen any of them ever do it unfortunately.

I will look into the UV thing, I'm definitely going to get a quality one if I get one, not just any old UV. Even if it helps prevent anything in the future I'm happy. Less maintenence for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take my plants out when I do water changes and clean them up put them back in. Very simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but it's a pain in the you know what for me to do that. Plus like I said, I'm washing away beneficial bacteria doing that also. I'd rather just have them in there, left alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the nuisance of cleaning the plants so often but there is very little if any bb on plants, most is in the filter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not so much that I hate cleaning them, but bleaching them takes forever and I have to get them situated JUST SO because if I don't they float up to the top and it's aggravating! LOL That's good to know though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...