Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

Broken Jaw?

My Fantail, Firefly, has been ailing in health for some time. I just lost my other fantail, Feather, last year. It was pretty sad. I cam home after a brief visit with my folks over Christmas to find Firefly lying on her side on the bottom of the tank. I wasn't about to give up on her though, and after some hard work, I got her up and swimming about again. Yay!

She was still not in perfect health, but doing so much better. But tonight when I went to go feed the fish, I noticed she was having trouble eating. On closer look, I noticed that one side of her jaw was poked inwards!! It was like the joints had gotten reversed. I was able to catch her and gently move the joints back, and that seemed to work for a minute, but then they just popped back in again.

She is having a lot of trouble eating, of course, and I just feel awful. How would this have happened, and can it be fixed?

Sarah,can you answer the ?s at the top of the page? It will help a lotsmile.gif

This exact same thing happened to my fish once before. This is a fish I no longer have, but here is her picture. Does the mouth of your fish look like this?

t008-1.jpg

In my fish's case, I think it was a genetic issue that became worse as she grew. She was still able to eat at this point, and I had tried gently pulling her mouth back into position with the tip of a small plastic syringe, but it didn't work. Her mouth would always just snap back into the deformed position. So I just left her be. I suspect that if she was still around today and still growing, that the mouth issue would continue to get worse and worse until she couldn't eat anymore :(

I agree with Susan, please answer all the questions above so we can get a clear idea of what's going on. Also try to get a photo of the mouth.

Sarah,can you answer the ?s at the top of the page? It will help a lotsmile.gif

What do water params have to do with a broken jaw? I don't have all of those answers right now, and it would take some time to get all that info. I do know that at last check a week ago nitrates and ammonia were at zero, nitrates were at around 20, and pH, Kh, and hard water were all high (always have been). I have been treating the tank with Melafix because of Firefly's health problems (she had some fin rot from sitting on the bottom of the tank, but it getting much better).

There is one other fish in the tank, and Red Cap Oranda names Fatty. He can be a little bully around food (hence the name), but not so much that I have seen him actually try to hurt Firefly, and I only feed them once a day, and she was just fine earlier today.

Sakura, YES!! That is exactly what it looks like! But Firefly is four years old and has never had this problem before. I don't think it would just suddenly happen like that if it were genetic, would it?

I did see her eating earlier, but it was hard for her. She just nibbled at a pellet until it broke and she was able to get the one half in her mouth. But Fatty swooped in and ate the rest. Meany.

YES, it could just suddenly happen. That's how it was with my fish too, she had always been normal, but one day I noticed her mouth was sucked in at the corner like that. I think it's somehow related to stunting, because the fish's proportions are all thrown off, so things don't quite grow properly. Peach was on the smaller side, at about 4.5 inches including her tail. Also, Daniel (another member here) had a fish who always stayed small and never grew properly, and her mouth was pretty messed up too. I believe in that case the mouth became worse as the fish grew as well.

I still think you should try to fill out all the information. It's really not that hard, and something just might stand out to someone and let them be able to help you better :)

I would tentatively recommend that you could try to use something small and not sharp to gently poke inside the fish's mouth and see if you can get the mouth to pop back into place. It might work, but it also might just pop right back into the deformed position. When I did this, I used a really tiny plastic syringe. It was just the right size and not sharp at all. But I would really like to see you post all the info before you go ahead and try something like this. Especially since the fish was ill so recently.

It's just what we do here-a mod will require the infobingo.gif

Yep...the questions help us know what sort of help to provide. BTW, you don't happen to be a Firefly fan? Just wondering because of your name choice for your fish.

Since the fish is/was laying on its side there is more going on then a broken jaw so the answers would be very helpful. In the mean time super huge water change and then add some salt may help.

@Sakura - Yes, Firefly has always had stunted growth. I could never figure out why. Feather had the same problem. I have had my new fish, Fatty, for only a couple of months. He started out at about a little over half of Firefly's size, and now he has almost caught up with her! It's crazy. But the growth stunt seems to make sense. I think that could be a reason my fish have always had so many health problems, especially SWD.

@amynmitchell - Yup, we are big Firefly fans:-) Actually, we are big Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion fans. One of these days you may see me with a fish named Fillion:-)

@Everyone - I will get some of those water params soon. I do them every time I change the tank water, and it is about due for that.

Another huge Joss Whedon fan here! Just finished Dollhouse, but Buffy will always be my favorite. Hope your fish are hanging in there!

I wanted to hop on real quick and share the news. Firefly has passed away:-( I went out of town last week for a photography convention. My hubby was in charge of caring for the fish. I left very specific instructions, but he forgot anyway. She didn't get fed for nearly 48 hrs, and in her weak state, that was enough. She passed away just before I got home.

I am so sad she is gone! She was such a beautiful fish. She was sick when I got her, and had fish lice, but with a lot of care and attention I kept her for over four years. I wanted it to be so many more. I think she was feeling a little sad after losing her tankmate, Feather, last year. She was never quite the same after he passed, even when I got a new mate for her. They were great friends, and now they are together again.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you lost your Firefly. She was a lucky little soul to be so cared for, and your good caretaking gave her time she probably would not have had otherwise. It's nice to think of her finding her best bud again, and I am sure she has.