Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Dragon Bubbler

I've had my big Dragon Bubbler awhile now & he is turning quite green in most areas. I really notice it now that I have added the new smaller Dragon Bubbler. It is mostly white....tho' I do notice the scales are definitely "outlined" now by algae.

What do ya'll do....let nature take it's course.....or scrub it clean now & then?

Also if you have these decorations (or similar) post pics!!!!!

I love those dragon bubblers!

I have some caves etc in my turtle tanks and I let algae grow on it - it is nice soft and green. Love it. In the goldie tanks I scrub like mad because it is icky brown algae!

I always leave any green algae alone. :yeah: I find it looks nice and natural in the tank and the goldies love grazing on it throughout the day. :)

Are you sure the green stuff is algae? After reading your post, I was interested in

possibly getting one of these Dragons and did a search. I found these reviews on the

nnnn site:

Pros: beautiful, unusual

Cons: not for fish tank, fish get stuck when not used as bubbler, absorbs funk from your tank, not easily cleaned

"let me say i am a dragon freak, and naturally HAD to have this guy in my tank. and he is stunning, he's been in my 75 tall for about 5 months now . however, 3 months ago my tank developed a green haze. not algae, not copper imbalance, nada. spent tons of time, money, etc. instead, it turns out that my lovely dragon has become a stinkfest of vulgar proportions! his being, whatever it may be made of, is not really fish tank material. it absorbs too much (whatever) and is not easily cleaned with non harmful cleaners; water and mild detergent aint gonna cut it. just bleach him out and set him up in the corner of the room and look at him, just get it out of the tank before you spend too much money trying to clear the water. we have always had tanks and never encountered this problem with a piece of decoration before. im thinking of painting mine :)"

Pros: looks nice

Cons: ruins your tank

"I got this 2 months ago, and a few weeks after it being in there, my water and glass had turned green. I took it out, and I'm still having problems from it."

So is it really algae or ???

It is an aquarium approved item, I have had my big one for quite awhile & have NEVER seen any of those awful things!! (I do rinse mine out now & again......except when the BN Plecos hole up in it!!! (They've decided it is a "CAVE")

Mine just has a nice layer of nice green algae growing on it. Just like algae grows on just about anything else that resides in a tank.

I am starting to get green algae on my aquarium back wall and other places, including the two dragon bubblers and eking out the brown algae :)

I've decided that for now, I will leave the algae alone since they can be of benefit to the goldies.

I mentioned it to my hubby & he said Don't clean it, it's cool looking with green algae! Ok I guess that makes it official Kokonuts & hubby vote GREEN DRAGON!!

Hubby thinks the same about an small statue that I use as bubbler. it has a nice green algea cover. A sunken city look :yeah: