Sign in to follow this  
Guest jayhawks

Can Goldfish See Through The Glass

Guest jayhawks

i have alway wondered this, but can they see through the tank at all? do they know when you are looking at them? i remember one of my fish would always come up to the front of the tank and swim around like he wanted me to notice him.

Yep, they can. That's how they can tell which side of the tank to beg on :)

they sure can.. they're like us.. they can see, some not very well, some as sharp as a tac..

and it all depends too.. if there is more light in the tank than out, they see out the glass less. if the light in the room and in the tank match in brightness, they see quite well when i walk into the room.. they all hurry to the glass which is closest to me and beg.. lol..

Oh yeah some can see very well. I have one who goes and hides whenever anybody goes near his tank. But if my mom goes to see him, he will swim right up to the front for her. :rolleyes:

Oh that is so sweet Edith!

I have some who will stare at me walking down the hallway to them!

Mine can see me coming down the hall which ALWAYS causes a STAMPEED to that end of the tank. THEN the "FEED ME, I'M STARVING MORE THAN HIM" dance begins!!

And when I am sitting on my computer (like now) I often look over and see SEVERAL sets of beady lil' eyes watching ME!! (Probably trying to WILL me to feed them AGAIN!!!!)

Yes, they can see through the tank. After all it is glass and glass is clear. Not just for humans.

But yes, I also think they can tell when we are looking at them. Most animals recognize eyes as eyes are usually a sign of a predator. That is why many animals like for example moths have fake eye pattern (on their wings); predators see those and think that there is no moth/butterfly, but another large animal.

When Hercules (my fantail) was in his other tank, before I upgraded and had to move the position of the tank, he used to watch us doing the ironing! I am not sure if it was the silver sole plate (on the iron) catching the light that amused him! :D

I remember Mrs. Mohr once reporting that her guys like to watch the TV!!! :theater:

Edited by U.K. Becs

Yep, they can. That's how they can tell which side of the tank to beg on :)

so true

. Most animals recognize eyes as eyes are usually a sign of a predator. That is why many animals like for example moths have fake eye pattern (on their wings); predators see those and think that there is no moth/butterfly, but another large animal.

ooh, nice little chunk of animal trivia, that was interesting :hi5

It would really freak me out to find all my fish facing the wrong way in the morning at feeding time...:o Im sure mine make direct eye contact through the glass, (especially Ella who really knows how to give the evil eye :scared).

It would really freak me out to find all my fish facing the wrong way in the morning at feeding time...:o Im sure mine make direct eye contact through the glass, (especially Ella who really knows how to give the evil eye :scared).

So my Godzilla is not the only fish with that kind of look :rofl

Yes!....Ella and Godzilla :rofl Ella sends me into a blind panic every morning as I fumble round with the food and he (turned out he) prepares for the big splash...if I cant get the food in as fast as he would like...REALLY.

And when I am sitting on my computer (like now) I often look over and see SEVERAL sets of beady lil' eyes watching ME!! (Probably trying to WILL me to feed them AGAIN!!!!)

:rofl I just wanted to note that I don't USUALLY sit ON my computer, I USUALLY sit AT my computer!!! :rofl I can't believe nobody ZINGED me on that one!! :doh11:

:D I saw it Jeanna, I thought it was an expression...like "playing on" or some trendy-speak lol. ...Online?

LOL. Please dont really sit ON it :rofl

yes whenver i put my finger to the glass or even walk past ,shadow is there wanting my attention, its very cute .xx

When I was really into cichlids, I had a large pair of convicts that could recognize the difference between myself and my bother. When they would spawn, I could look into the tank and they would go about their business as my face was the one the always saw. If my brother would look in, they would attack the glass in an effort to keep him away. People tell us it is obvious we are brothers but the fish knew the difference. None of my other cichlids, convicts or not, ever reacted this way. Everyone was a threat.

My two new telescopes already come to the front of the tank when they see movement in the room.

I could look into the tank and they would go about their business as my face was the one the always saw. If my brother would look in, they would attack the glass in an effort to keep him away. People tell us it is obvious we are brothers but the fish knew the difference.

My goldfish and angels know the difference too. When myy bf sticks his head in front of the glass they just stare back. As if they are saying, "sigh...its only him." But when I stick my face near their tank they do their dance and are probably screaming, "oh loooook! Its the love of our liiives!" No reaction of my parents either when they come to visit. The goldfish are smart and probably heard what my mom really thinks of them.

I was up in the middle of the night puttering around, and Fluffy was right there watching me...I think he was hoping I was preparing a delicious treat for him!

My Girls and guy often go up to my finger when i tap the glass and try and give it a nibble hoping for a delicious treat, and they often come up to me when i stare at them and do thier special "feed me naaawwwwwww, me hungrieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!" dance.

They sure can everytime I walk up to the tank they get all ready to be fed meanwhile im only showing them off.

Yup they can definitely see through it! Sometimes when I come home, they're waiting on the side closest to the door and get all excited when I walk by. It's really cute! Begging at its finest.

I've read that Goldfish have "face recognition" and I'd definately agree with that.

Our tank is right next to the kitchen sink and counter top, and kitchen table. So they are at the hub of all the action in the house. They are very interactive with us, especially me since I'm the head golfish keeper. But if someone is at the closest table position, the GF's will hover around them at that end of the tank. The other night, they were at the front, looking down and watching our 2 Australian Cattle Dogs play in front of the tank. That was pretty funny. All 3 are also very adept at scooping up a tail full of water and hucking it out (usually at me) over the top fo the tank....and they are very accurate.

Over the summer, by brother took some photos from inside the tank and you get a good idea of how good the view for them is!

IntankPhotobresized.jpg

IntankPhotoaresized.jpg

IntankPhotoresized.jpg

Wow, those are really cool pictures!

My Oranda, Bubba, plops himself right down in the corner of the tank facing my bed when he goes to sleep. When I wake up in the morning, I can still see him hovering there, watching and waiting for me to move. When I sit up, he darts to the top of the tank and immediately starts begging. It's very sweet. :)

To me (a dog owner and lover) GF's are very similar to dogs. It's one of the things that I enjoy about having them.