Heater With Fancy Goldfish?

Hi all

I am posting this here instead of in the goldfish section because it says i cannot start a new topic??

Anyway i have 2 lionheads and a b moor in a 30 gallon long with an aquaclear 70 (300 gph) filter. they have grown very little in the 6 mos that i have them. I feed them a variety of foods (pro gold, homemade flakes, hikari lionhead pellets, gel foods, saki hikari fancy goldfish pellets, and peas) and keep excellent water quality, ammonia and nitrite always zero and nitrates never over 20 ppm, mostly never over 15 ppm, pH 7.4, gH 5dGh, kh 2 dKh,. I have 2 elodea plants in the tank that are growing well. Would a heater in the tank speed up the meatbolism enough to get them to grow? Water is room temp about 70F. If so what temp should i bring it up to? Thanks in advance :)

I don't know if a heater would help speed up their metabolism enough to get them to grow faster. I have 4 that were in a 55 with 600 gph filtration and they have grown very little as well. Two are now in my 180 and I don't expect much growth. They were from Pet$mart. I think 70 is fine for them, as long as it is stable. I only use my heaters to keep the temp stable since the tank is in a basement.

i think i will try to bring temp up to mid 70s and increase feedings as well. I will also have to increase wc as well. I am gonna try this for a few weeks and see if i notice any growth at all. Thank you for the replies. I will keep ya posted

Yup multiple small feedings a day have an excellent effect. If they're lionheads feed some bloodworms a few times a day to improve wen growth. Bloodworms have excellent protein for wen.

• Admin

I keep mine between 72=78F once it starts to stay at the 78 mark i will unplug my heater :)

As for not being able to post in the general, I think you might have been trying to post in the FAQ section :o cant start new topics in that one :(

I keep mine between 72=78F once it starts to stay at the 78 mark i will unplug my heater :)

As for not being able to post in the general, I think you might have been trying to post in the FAQ section :o cant start new topics in that one :(

yes that is where i was trying to post. i now know for the future :)

• 2 weeks later...