Possible Infection?

Orchid

Hello everyone!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level - not sure; the test strips I use don't test for it.

[*]Nitrite Level - 0

[*]Nitrate level - 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank - 7.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap - not sure

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops - Mardel 5-in-1 Test Strips

[*]Water temperature - not sure; the temperature in the rest of the house is about 70 degrees F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running - 10 gallons, and has been set up & running for about four months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s) - Tetra Top Fin 10; it does about 80 gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much - 40%-50% change every week.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size - One, about 2.5 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use API Tap Water Conditioner and API Stress-Zyme

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often - Homemade gel food consisting of mashed up peas, carrots, tomatoes, and bloodwoorms 5 days a week, a single pea once a week, and then a day of fasting. However, since I've been away for a week, I gave her a three-day feeder for last Thursday-Saturday, until someone could be here to feed her the food she usually eats. Sunday through Tuesday she was fed her regular food, on Wednesday she was given a pea, Thursday was a fasting day, and then I was here to feed her her regular food today. I know this is a lot of information, but I'm not sure if maybe the three-day feeder messed up her system.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank - Nope.

[*]Any medications added to the tank - Not yet.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish - The only strange thing I noticed was that she had a long, white-ish poo

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc - No, she seems to be acting normal.

I'm concerned about her poo; at first I thought the color of it might have been caused by the weekend feeder (which was white), but she hasn't eaten that since Saturday. I looked on Koko's website, and it said that white/clear poo was caused by an infection. I went to the local pet store chain, and unfortunately they didn't have any antibiotic foods and had a poor medicine selection. I did buy something, though - Tetra Lifeguard All-In-One treatment, but I'm hesitant to put it in her tank because I don't think it'll do much good. She seems to be acting fine, but if she does have an infection, I'd like to treat it soon before it gets any worse. Any advice?

Don't put it in her tank. I would do a large water change and get a drop test kit to test your ammonia and things like that. She could possibly be stressed or that feeder messed her up. Start with a nice big 70% water change and then feed her a pea and monitor her poop. :)

White poop can also be caused by stress or constipation. You did well by not using any meds yet. :) Personally I would make sure the water is perfect and I would wait to see how the fish acts in the next few days. Maybe feed her some peas to make sure her system is flushed out. The automatic feeder probably did mess with her digestion.

*Tay beat me to it! :D

Edited by caitie