Sign in to follow this  
stonedaffection

-Sigh- I Tried!

A girl on Tumblr posted a photograph of her new purchase;

tumblrlel7m7mcnu1qzhdl5.jpg

saying things alongside "Then I found a round bowl. Then I bought it for three dollars. Walked to the pet store, bought myself 2 gold fish (because they don?t need filters) and went on home with em! The fish look big in the photo because of the magnification. They are tiny, and were like 20 cents each."

I felt like I needed to say something to her, i get a bit stressed with people not starting fish off right, because years ago when I was inexperienced and young i killed a few fish by not knowing how to look after them properly. thankfully I know now !

so i sent her a message:

stonedaffection asked: babe! you posted a photo with new goldfish in a bowl,

sadly they do need filters, as they produce twice more waste than tropical fish :(

and a bowl will stunt them, they'll probably get v. ill and stressed.

try get a bigger space for them, even if its a plastic tub, and filters are reallly cheap these days !

x

Her response:

Nope, goldfish dont need filters. And i know they do, it also depends on how often they are fed. I have had fish my whole life nearly and my grandmas really into them. They are very tiny, i was told the bowl is fine for 2. And, the bowl is not too small, it magnifies the fish. But, thanks for the comment and care, but they are fine.

1 day ago on January 06, 2011 at 08:10am

---

I tried guys, there's a lot of things like this on Tumblr, and it really distresses me!

Sorry for the post, i just needed to rant somewhere i thought it might be appreciated.

Its sad hun when people wont listen, but you tried hun..... You can always send a link to this site to that person showing them they need alot more care than a silly bowl..

:)

Edit: :rofl Koko got here before me

I understand your frustration well. There are just too many people who don't know enough, and sadly don't care to educate themselves on how to properly care for these fish. At least you tried. I wish there was more we could do to help poor fish like this, but as long as there are stupid people out there, there will also be suffering animals :(

I have been involved with dogs for 30 years. I teach classes. People come to "learn" how to train. I tell them and show them what they need to do. At that point they have a choice. They can either follow through with the information that they have been given or not. Sadly, there are a lot of "nots" out there. Sigh- I tried.

Sadly, there are a lot of "nots" out there. Sigh- I tried.

So So True :(

:( Sorry she didn't listen. That's really frustrating when someone is so sure in the wrong way of doing things and don't bother to do a quick search; at that point cold experience will have to be the teacher. :( You were very polite, though, and hey, maybe you DID spark her interest and got her to google information! It can happen... right? :)

:( Poor fish

It's frustrating, I know. I have some relatives who keep (now stunted) commons in tiny bowls half filled with gravel. They insist that they're "not going to buy a big tank and spend money for one fish!" I'm curious why they got the fish at all, as they don't seem to care about them. *sigh*

Edited by EGJ

They're decorations.

They insist that they're "not going to buy a big tank and spend money for one fish!" I'm curious why they got the fish at all, as they don't seem to care about them. *sigh*

That's a humongous pet peeve of mine. And sadly, a very common attitude. :(

some ppl just cannot and will not be told.. she will not get very far in life.. and then one day she will sit down with all her failures and start to assess why.. sadly, it will be too late for the fish :(

i think i'll keep an eye on her page in case she decides to post about them in future.

ultimately these fish haven't got a chance. she bought the bowl then the fish on the same day and just dumped them in. it's so upsetting.

You tried ( as others said). You were polite and sadly in the end that's all that can done.

One analogy I like is when it comes to fish bowls and goldfish: Would you keep a kitten in a crate too small for the kitten to grow into a cat?...Then why would you do that to a pet fish?. I think most people realize that a kitten is going to grow into a cat and cannot be kept in the same amount of space.

As long as there is the conception that goldfish are cheap and easy starter pets, nothing is going to change. People eventually get it right or give up.

Don't want a dog or a cat for your child because they are too much work? Can't have a dog or a cat? Get a goldfish. After all they are cheap and you simply throw them in a bowl. People looking for a cheap pet are not going to be enticed by being told that their 20 cent Comet needs at least a 20 gallon tank and 10X filtration. Oh and for that time you don't want to spend, how about those water changes? And for testing your water...test kits. Don't worry, you can get a master kit for under 30 bucks. And don't forget the high quality pellets...and soak them.

But little Timmy just wants to throw some flakes in a bowl. So, when the fish gets sick and dies, it is cheaper to spend the 20 cents on another fish.

I spend more time on maintenance for my goldfish than on my dog.

I don't understand how anyone could think that keeping a living thing (let alone TWO living things) in such a space is the right thing to do. This just breaks my heart.

After thinking about this a bit and allowing the knee jerk reaction to subside, I suppose we could hope that this person will take an extra interest in their fish and upgrade into a more proper system......??? It could happen.

There are people all over that don't really care. They even "ask" for advice but then still do what they planned to do even is if it is wrong. I just want to tell them "If (insert crazy person here) jumps off a cliff and lives does that make it ok for you to do the same?"

Just what my mom use to say. lol

After thinking about this a bit and allowing the knee jerk reaction to subside, I suppose we could hope that this person will take an extra interest in their fish and upgrade into a more proper system......??? It could happen.

yes, or, give the hobby away.. i hate thoughtless stubborn ppl.