What Is Your New Fish Routine?

When Little B brought Herman home, I was unschooled in all things goldfish tinfoilhat.png, and he became sick pretty quickly. I (thankfully) found you wonderful folks here at Koko's who helped me with his salt treatments and he has since been fine. 2sgn030thanks.gif

Now, with the purchase of Talulah, I've been searching through past threads looking for the right way to quarantine her. The water quality of the bag she came in was so terrible, I wanted to give here a few days in fresh water. She's so much more relaxed and appears to be one happy little gal. My usual tendency is to stay away from unnecessary chemicals if I can. (I even make my own natural household cleaners if that gives you an idea of how I operate! bigsmile.gif)

So this leads me to my "poll" as it were:

What is your routine?

Do you Prazi every time?

Do you salt?

What is your technique?

And what is your length of quarantine? (My plan is at least a month if she remains symptom free.)

Thanks! thdance.gif

When I first started out my qt procedure was a whole month with salt at 0.02%. Now I usually do a whole month with prazi and salt at 0.02%. :)

Time: A month

Salt: 0.3%

Prazi: Only unless it's from an unknown source. I don't quarantine Ken's fish. I only have them in their own tub for observation for a few days. His fish are quarantined for 2 months and all those medications for nothing are stressful.

As for House of Tropicals I would definitely do the whole 0.3% salt, prazi, and jungle anti parasite. Ming Chao was riddled with them. In a week or two the salt usually does the trick and then you can observe your new one for a week or two.

Depends where my fish comes from; I qt'd my feeders for extra time b/c feeder tanks tend to not be as healthy. When I buy from my favorite store, I've done as short as 3 weeks b/c I know they've already been treated. Prazi and salt for me :)

99% of my fish come from GFC,and each one gets 2 weeks in qt w/ a/b food and 2 weeks of Prazi and Nitro Green. The remaining 1% of my fish come from Tommy,and get 1 mo. qt w/ a/b food and 2 weeks of Prazi and Nitro green. The reason for the diff in qt times is just that I have dealt w/ Ken for a couple of years,and only just started getting fish from Tommy-I've never had trouble w/ his fish and MIGHT be able to convince myself to cut that to 2 weeks alsodoh11.gif. I had some problems in my tanks and putting them into qt for that long gives them a chance to get used to my water,while not being exposed to anything. It also makes me feel I have got more of a handle on the situation health-wise. I used to feel SO helpless when I would just add them right in and have any kind of health issue kick inkrazy.gifI feel like I have MUCH more control nowbingo.gif

I'm more aggressive with QT then a lot of people as I've had things slip past me before. Thankfully minor things, but they still got through. Costia was one that slipped through as it is one of the few things that can be immune to salt. Raising the temp killed it off easily, but since then I've realised although salt and prazi gets most things, things can still slip through and not be caught until weeks later after they have infected a tank.

I like to use natural and gentle meds where I can though.

I inspect my fish for obvious parasites and remove them if present (lice, etc). Scrapings of gills and body are taken and checked. Any obvious disease is also treated at this point. Upon looking healthy I treat with the regime below. Fish also receive a parasite/worming tab at this stage to clear out any worms or internal parasites they may be carrying (Most domestic fish do have a parasite load of some sort, this just helps keep it as low as possible) Fish are supervised and watched for any signs of disease closely through QT

One week of -Salt and -Prazi (to treat all the basics)

Followed by

One week of -Melafix and Pimafix (as a gentle antibacterial and antifungal, it can be hit and miss though as it does not do all species of bacteria, but it is gentle. And if you've ever treated fighting fish with it or been on the fightingfish.com.au board you will see some of great results it can produce)

Followed by

A day of -Chloramine T run through (Kills off Trichodina, skin flukes, gill flukes, bacterial gill disease, and pretty much anything else that the previous treatments miss)

Fish then relax for another week in QT for further observation. Should they clear, they move into the tanks. The whole process takes a month provided the fish had no immediate issues to be dealt with.

If your ever buying meds like Mela and Pima, get the pond bottles. Twice the price, but four times as much liquid at 10x the concentration- its extremely affordable at that price. Same for prazi, tabs intended for ponds are the way to go for value.

BDG and other issues often enter the system through a seemingly healthy fish that has passed QT. It can take months for such things to be noticeable in an animal, by which time it has spread throughout the whole system. I'd rather nuke them for everything in case they do have it and stress them some then risk the even small chance it may spread into the system unnoticed.

Edit- I used to keep koi and had fish from even fantastic sources arrived riddled with issues. For fish from more trusted sources I do the above minus the Chloramine T.

Edited by Amber

My QT procedure is different for different fish and my one for fish from questionable sources is really agressive. I'm not really sure I reccomend, but I lost a whole tank to a parasite that got missed, so I'm a bit nutty after that.

What is your routine? For questionable fish, I do a formalin dip a bucket before they ever go into the QT tank. This is incredibly strong so you have to be willing to possibly lose the fish to protect your original fish and you have to watch them the entire time. I haven't had a problem with it, but you have to be beyond extra careful. Once the dip is over they go in the Qt tank in just fresh water for a day or two. I do a full month qt and feed Anti-parasite food three days of each week. I run them at .03% salt and prazi for three weeks with daily water changes (the daily water changes help flush things out). The last week I slowly get them back to freshwater and the last few days I use water from the main tank. I completely rearrange or buy something new for the main tank the day I add the new fish. A few days after they are in the main tank, I prazi the main tank once or twice.

For fish that come from Raingarden or DO, I still like to do four weeks but I don't dip them and don't feed them AP food. I give them a week or so of just quiet and fresh water before going into prazi and salt.

I have 2 different ways.

-For my Ryukins from Holland I do more of an 'observing' Qt. I know that they have been Qt with much more aggressive meds (shots etc) that anything I could ever do. So I try and first relax them - since they are bigger/older fish, they take longer to settle in that the babies I get from local stores. They are usually sulking the first entire week.

Week 1 - Clean water and frequent water changes (in this phase some are just really detoxifying from the long trip - I had one fish even give out a strange salty smell during this). Oh and I do not feed the first 2 days.

Week 2 - salt is started and upped to 0.3%. I was thinking of not doing this with these fish but besides making sure they have 'no' parasites it really seems to help them relax and settle in better (I think because they are used to being in salt back home). They are all kept 10-14days in salt unless I see a need to do it a little longer. One of the fish developed a little fin inflammation so I just kept it in longer. At this point I am still doing frequent water changes.

Week 3 - I start the Prazi. I do this even if my skin scrapes come back negative for gill flukes. I will keep doing it until the day that I can successfully look into the gills and be 100% sure. I usually do 2 treatments only tho. More if they keep showing 'signs' of them.

Then once all the meds are done i remove everything and just keep a close eye on them. I like to watch them for an extra month before moving them with other fish. Usually 2 months should allow for any nasties to show. :)

-For my store fish I do a similar routine but I keep the 0.3% salt for an entire month. And I do at least 5rounds of Prazi. I used to feed Jungle AP to the petstore fish but since reading a bit more on that and the damage those do to the organs (and my many cases of dropsy) + how inactive the become over time I stopped using them. (unless I have a real medical reason)

I think the key things are : WATCH them like a hawk. Don't take any weird symptom as a 'funky personality thing' until you have ruled out all possible medical causes. Do very frequent water changes - you have so much less to treat if you already take out anything water born. NEVER cut the QT short - this is about the most important :) (I learned that with having to treat ich for like a month in my healthy main tank just because the fish 'looked healthy')

Thank you so much everyone! This really is very interesting!

Taylor, your experience is very helpful. I'll be more aggressive to be sure!

I'll start salt today with her water change. Mr. Petty Officer will pick us up some Prazi today.

I've looked at the info sheets for both Prazi and Jungle AP. Seems the pathogen lists are very similar. Is there a reason so many choose both products to go after the same parasites? Is it related to mode of ingestion (water vs. food?)

Related to Prazi, what is everyone's usual schedule? I've seen many varying routines (days on, days off).

You guys are the best! I'm learning so much! les11.gif

I do Prazi all new fish, regardless of where they came from. Lola, I just do 3 days on/2 days off for the entire QT period -- it's easier to keep track of. (Prazi de-activates after 3 days, so basically I add Prazi to the tank every 6 days.)

I used to do really lengthy QTs on all new fish with .3% salt. But my last few goldfish came from Tommy, and I opted not to salt them. I've had fish with bad reactions to salt in the past (I lost a lovely little white and red butterfly telescope who was salt-sensitive and died in QT) and now, I only salt if I see something that merits it (ich, etc.).

I have the same Prazi schedule as RD. :) It is important you leave those 3 days with no prazi so the eggs will hatch and you can exterminate them :)

I would also do the same QT on Herman, maybe not the salt. But a few weeks of Prazi won't hurt.

The strange thing with Jungle AP is that the reasons I have used it wasn't for the parasites but because it has Metro inside - and this ingredient is very good in fighting bacteria which can cause dropsy (something I have had to deal a lot with unfortunately). So at a certain point I decided I would treat incoming fish with it - to make sure to hit that and possible intestinal worms (most which would be hit with the prazi I think tho). But now I have decided that that does more harm than good in a healthy fish since it strips him of it's natural defenses. (and the overuse of the Metro will eventually cause superbugs)

This is very interesting and clear information. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their stories.

I'm trying to think how I can ever qt a new fish if I decide to get a second one. I only have the original 3 gallon tank to use, and I don't know about keeping the params good enough in it for a whole month. I don't have any space for a Rubbermaid tub for a whole month.

I may have to buy from the most reputable source I can, and take my chances - which is probably a :badidea !

Oh well, we're not there yet. The tank is not yet cycled.

Thanks everyone! You are the best! :flowerss

I do Prazi all new fish, regardless of where they came from. Lola, I just do 3 days on/2 days off for the entire QT period -- it's easier to keep track of. (Prazi de-activates after 3 days, so basically I add Prazi to the tank every 6 days.)

I used to do really lengthy QTs on all new fish with .3% salt. But my last few goldfish came from Tommy, and I opted not to salt them. I've had fish with bad reactions to salt in the past (I lost a lovely little white and red butterfly telescope who was salt-sensitive and died in QT) and now, I only salt if I see something that merits it (ich, etc.).

I have the same Prazi schedule as RD. :) It is important you leave those 3 days with no prazi so the eggs will hatch and you can exterminate them :)

Do you guys add Prazi, wait 3 days, do a large WC, wait 2 days, do a large WC, add Prazi and repeat?

yup I like doing the water change after 3days because I feel like I can get 'cadavers' out! or eggs. :)

Maybe wait 3days without the prazi - even 4. so you add the prazi on the same day every week. that is how I do it.

When Little B brought Herman home, I was unschooled in all things goldfish tinfoilhat.png, and he became sick pretty quickly. I (thankfully) found you wonderful folks here at Koko's who helped me with his salt treatments and he has since been fine. 2sgn030thanks.gif

Now, with the purchase of Talulah, I've been searching through past threads looking for the right way to quarantine her. The water quality of the bag she came in was so terrible, I wanted to give here a few days in fresh water. She's so much more relaxed and appears to be one happy little gal. My usual tendency is to stay away from unnecessary chemicals if I can. (I even make my own natural household cleaners if that gives you an idea of how I operate! bigsmile.gif)

So this leads me to my "poll" as it were:

What is your routine?

Do you Prazi every time?

Do you salt?

What is your technique?

And what is your length of quarantine? (My plan is at least a month if she remains symptom free.)

Thanks! thdance.gif

I hope you realize how lucky we all are to have the expertise of; Captain Findus Goldfish, Amymitchell, and Kukana ... if you take thier advise you cannot go wrong ,...

Tom

I hope you realize how lucky we all are to have the expertise of; Captain Findus Goldfish, Amymitchell, and Kukana ... if you take thier advise you cannot go wrong ,...

Tom

I do realize this. That is why, with all of my questions, you'll always find a gracious thank you to all of my friends here who are so much more knowledgeable than I.

yup I like doing the water change after 3days because I feel like I can get 'cadavers' out! or eggs. :)

Maybe wait 3days without the prazi - even 4. so you add the prazi on the same day every week. that is how I do it.

Thanks Federica! That sounds like it will work perfectly for me! I've started a little calendar to help me keep track of things. Herman's memory is better than mine is! giggle.gif

Tom

I do realize this. That is why, with all of my questions, you'll always find a gracious thank you to all of my friends here who are so much more knowledgeable than I.

You are so sweet.

Thanks Federica! That sounds like it will work perfectly for me! I've started a little calendar to help me keep track of things. Herman's memory is better than mine is!

I would leave it in the hands of Little B! I am sure she has everything under control! :D

Thanks Federica! That sounds like it will work perfectly for me! I've started a little calendar to help me keep track of things. Herman's memory is better than mine is!

I would leave it in the hands of Little B! I am sure she has everything under control! :D

You are SO right there!!! She's good! mosking.gif