Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Can Someone Enlighten Me On The Female Egg Cycle?

I have had Grace and Ingrid since August/September and I have had no sign of eggs yet. THey are both 20cm so I guess they are in breeding age (the male are full of breeding stars). I always thought that the releasing of eggs only happened once in the spring. But it seems that it should happen various times a year. Is there a problem with my girls? Can they decide when to produce eggs etc?

If this is helpful they are both in their own tanks for now while I get the 200Gal ready.

goldfish are on two cycles one is annual and over this is the lunar cycle plus tmeperature and weather have influence.

for our fish inside where temperature is maintained at Spring or Summer they are able to breed sooner (now) and are only affected by lunar (full and new moon) plus the baro pressure when weather pattern passes. So we help them by give them lots of good food, change water and play with temperature to kick them into spawn mood also give them some nest material in which to deposit eggs is very helpful. if that donot work put theminto a bag throw theminthe car anddrive around for acouple hours that is sure fire way to get some action started.(like being shipped in the mail )

But this is only if I want them to have eggs right? Will they be okay not having eggs? Are they not even making them now?

I am a little confused at the entire 'cycle'...

But this is only if I want them to have eggs right? Will they be okay not having eggs? Are they not even making them now?

I am a little confused at the entire 'cycle'...

actual fact is that you do not have a whole lot to say about if they make or do not make the eggs. and the are making them only not yet laying the eggs. I think that if you do not want eggs then you get all males and send those gorgus females to me.

okey so they make eggs every how much?

So for now they are just storing them? Is this unhealthy?

No, what I mean about the not wanting them to lay eggs is that I am not trying to breed them or anything. For me it makes no difference if they release them or not - I am just worried about the health side of it.

yours are inside and adults so they could spawn a little every two weeks and any timein between that they feel like it. next good date is is two or three day before full and new moon so on or about 16 Jan and end of month would be very good dates to look for heightend activity . they lay the eggs and then begin imediate recycle program (eat the eggs) to clen it all up.

Okey then. Do you think that once I add them with the males it will go better?

I emailed my friend in Holland where I got the fish and he says that non of the females left at the shops released eggs - and non of the customers with the other females said anything to him. He asked his vet and he apparently said that it is much harder for goldfish this size to lay eggs by themselves - that they usually get reabsorbed and that it isn't a problem. I am a little confused.

When must I be worried about egg impaction?

I emailed my friend in Holland where I got the fish and he says that non of the females left at the shops released eggs - and non of the customers with the other females said anything to him. He asked his vet and he apparently said that it is much harder for goldfish this size to lay eggs by themselves - that they usually get reabsorbed and that it isn't a problem. I am a little confused.

When she is not feeling well and is bloated (the egg kind).

Keep your water temperature as much at the same temp as possible and they often do not get into the mood. A cold shower does not work for goldies ;)

Avoid 90 or 100% waterchanges. It gives the effect of a (rain)storm and brings them in the mood.

non of the females left at the shops released eggs - and non of the customers with the other females said anything to him.

Yes with males.

we always worry about egg problems. I think there might be something to the thoughts about not feeding a few days before spawn time. We know how crowded it is inside our fancy fish with the giant bellys.

interesting about the entire group. I think it would be nice to know where these fish were bred and when they arrive in Europe. that could help explain what kind of cycle they are on. Maybe they are pond fish waiting to Spring equinox?

They are fish bloodlines from Japan but bred in China. For sure they are outside/pond fish. Maybe once they are in the tank with the males and spring comes they will be fine :) It is strange tho because I keep them in 24temps - unlike what a pond in winer would be.

Oh and they came over July-August.

My friend also said this "I understand your worries, but don't think it will be a problem. When the ryukin's tummy gets really hard then it will be a problem because the eggs get like stone, but the vet explained that that is very rare. So we think it will be alright."