Feeding Time

What lovely big fish you have! They are very enthusiastic about their food, aren't they?

I do love single tails :) They do look like sharks feeding!

Do the two who were swimming round and round each other half way through the video - (were they dancing? - or "shoving" each other) - often go through this ritual - or only at feeding time?

The big Common is a male and started the pushing and shoving routine. The 2 Comets are female, and the big one, which is our original 25cent feeder fish, dishes it right back, as you can see. It was worse when I was feeding them twice a day.

I'm not really happy about it and actually removed the big Common a couple months ago. That test failed miserably because he wasn't out of the tank one minute and the big Comet start relentlessly chasing the little Comet around. I actually had to put the big guy back in the tank to stop the fracas between the 2 Comets.

It stops as soon as the food is gone, and they spend the next 23hrs and 57min swimming and sleeping together, loving and rubbing on each other, and if I break out a camera, the 2 big fish put up a body-block that the little fish hides behind.

They also don't do it if I'm feeding them pieces of fruit or avocado in chunks that I drop into the tank, or if I clip a slice of something like lemon, lime, orange, or cucumber to the tank.

Edited by austinado16

The big Common is a male and started the pushing and shoving routine. The 2 Comets are female, and the big one, which is our original 25cent feeder fish, dishes it right back, as you can see. It was worse when I was feeding them twice a day.

hmmmm..... I'd think that if they were fed more than once a day, it would lessen any competition ---- or is it that any feeding time is fighting time? - they are like little sharks......;)

Your tank looks really nice:)

Edited by Seymoura

Nope, less food seems to cure it. Had I put in more than that for the video, they would have started chasing each other the full length of the tank, and then tag teaming the small Comet. And had I fed less, they would have barely done anything at all....they would have briefly eaten what was circulating and then got straight to the gravel to search for scraps.