Mama Got To Buy Her First Fish!

I got to go shopping for myself today! We went to our LFS and had a big time! I saw so many different types of fancies, I couldn't make up my mind! I was about to leave, and then I right before I left...I spotted this little friend:

Winter2010214.jpg

Bad photo, I know. Here's a couple more:

Winter2010213.jpg

Winter2010218.jpg

Winter2010221.jpg

Winter2010223.jpg

So, a couple questions....

What sort of oranda would you call this?

I paid $12, good deal? LOL

I tested the water from the bag:

0 nitrites

0.5 ammonia

pH 6.0!!!!!!

off the charts nitrates!!!!

I've got her (I'm feeling like it's a girl...but I'm waiting to look at his/her vent until after he/she's not so stressed and happy in her QT tank) floating in the bag, pouring a cup of water (cycled media at 7.6) in every hour or so.

Is this a good idea? I know she needs to be slowly acclimated, but that's quite a damned jump!

Thanks you guys! I'm very stoked!

She's so purdy! (Or he's so handsome....too soon to tell!)

So, a couple questions....

What sort of oranda would you call this?I'd call it a chocolate Oranda...looks like it's chocolate brown to me.

I paid $12, good deal? That's a great price for a chocolate Oranda! You did good!

I tested the water from the bag:

0 nitrites

0.5 ammonia

pH 6.0!!!!!!

off the charts nitrates!!!!

I've got her (I'm feeling like it's a girl...but I'm waiting to look at his/her vent until after he/she's not so stressed and happy in her QT tank) floating in the bag, pouring a cup of water (cycled media at 7.6) in every hour or so.

Is this a good idea? Lola you're fine adding a higher pH water to lower. It's adding lower ph to high pH that you have to gradually to avoid shocking them.

So...it's OK to add your 7.6 pH water to what you have now. If temperature is matched you can add your fish now....don't wait too long to get him into your tank.

She seems to be a Chocolate Oranda, although I do see some Orange wash already. As far as the acclimating goes, I do believe the goldie should just be immediatley transferred to it's aquarium with as little bag water as possible going into the aquarium. Just float the bag enough to stabilize the temp. and release her. When the aquarium pH is higher than the current bag pH, a goldie can be added immediatley. The reverse, though, would prove deadly. (Correct me fellow Kokonuts if I'm wrong, as this is my understanding.) Adding higher pH water to lower pH water can make the present Ammonia more toxic to the fish. Good luck and lets see what others have to say! ;)

Edited by Kateana

Thanks so much you guys! I didn't know that about the different directions of pH. I swear I really do learn something new every day here!

This is my first fish choice and I am so excited! It's funny, taking care of Herman this whole time was fun, but he's not mine.....so it wasn't AS fun as watching this new one.

I really like the chocolate color. But I'm thinking it won't last too long. Better get a lot of photos! :)

Thanks you guys!

I'm glad I didn't make it too long with the little thing in the bag before I posted here! Whew!

I'm thinking Talulah.

Mr. Petty Officer likes Vernon or Mocha Jean. I'm sure she won't stay mocha for too long, so I'm thinking no.

I also like Evangeline. : )

Me, three! And such a pretty chocolate color with a bit of orange starting to peek out.

I just coated my hands in Stress Coat and checked, the vent is definitley not sunken in, with a bit of dark covering....so I'm thinking girl.

Telulah it is!

Awesome, I'm so happy for you and your new fish! I love the name too. Looks like she is a chocolate for now, but I see some orange creeping up her belly! Looks like you'll probably get to watch her go through a color change :) I bet Herman will be so excited to meet his new "roommate" after her QT period is up :bounce