Sign in to follow this  
tarynator

Caught In Filter, Shredded Tail.. Sigh

Well I come home today only to find poor Mr Poh caught by the tail in the intake tube... both fish are sluggish lately because the temp of the aquarium water is much cooler (from my earlier topic). I don't know how long he was stuck there, but I managed to unplug it and he got free, his tail is shredded a little bit and can still swim but he doesn't seem too happy. The filter isn't very strong, but I definitely don't want this to happen again while I'm away but I don't want to keep the filter off. I was thinking about putting nylons or something around the intake tube just so nobody can get caught? I don't know.. any ideas?

That should work. What is your water testing at? Only very weak and sickly fish are likely to get caught in a filter.

yes, sounds like a neat plan.. please try to get a heater or move the aquarium into a heated area..

Im sorry about Mr Poh! More tank and water details would be great.

I agree the filter current shouldnt be sucking a strong fish in. You can def. add nylons with rubberbands meanwhile.

Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates normally around 10ish, pH reads at 7.5. I think he got caught because of his slow metabolism because the water is pretty cold, he doesn't seem sickly so I really hope that's not the case... he seems okay right now and not in any distress so I don't think a treatment would be necessary would it? His dorsal fin is erect and is swimming around slowly. I'll put the nylon around the tube now, I had a feeling I had to come check on them tonight. Weird, I could sense a disturbance, lol. I hope he'll be okay.

EDIT: The cooler temps are because I've been away recently from uni and the heat is off in my apartment to conserve energy, I come in from time to time to check in, they've both been faring well until this little incident. I will be back for good next Friday

Edited by Tarynator

Just keep a close eye on him. As said above, fish do not normally get stuck on the filter intake.

Hopefully, the nylons work. Watch out for any soap if they are not new. :)

Must say I'm pretty glad to have you guys here! The nylon is on.. looks pretty silly but as long as it helps.

I tried to get some pics and after looking at them I've come to the conclusion that it's a minor injury after all. His tail is frayed, not shredded so he probably wasn't caught for too long. I'm sure everyone at the New Years party is going to love the reason why I'm late!

You can see a little bit of frayage...

3448mrp.jpg

And now he's been staring at me sort of like "momma, why me?"

24y7234.jpg

Sorry to hear that this happened. I would get a heater. I like the submersible Stealth heaters myself. I use them in my tanks to keep the temps at a constant level.

I think a heater is a good idea in this case. Poor cute Mr. Poh.

I bought a pre-filter sponge (I think it's made by Fluval) just for this very reason, as I had a little fantail get her tail ripped off by the filter several years ago (poor little Callie) and I wasn't about to let that happen again with my 2 new babies.

It clogs some, but I just rinse it in tankwater whenever I do a water change. So it's extra filtering, it's a home for BBs, and best of all -

it provides peace of mind! I highly recommend this little product, and it's cheap, too! It also looks better than hose!

I too say a heater is a great idea. It doesn't use much power. I think it probably is better to have two medium to large size heaters than one large one as - from my experience in my tropical tank - it heats the water more evenly and in case one decides to quit, you got the other one that keeps the temperature from dropping too far.

There's also less strain on a single heater. It also is good to have larger size heaters so they burn out slower. And on a low setting for goldfish - lets even say 68 which is the lowest setting on my heaters - they won't consume much energy and will last a while.

Only thing I gotta say is I read and saw bad things about the marineland stealth heater.

Melafix is a mild treatment for varoius things including split and frayed fins. I use it myself with great success. It wouldnt hurt to try that to spead up the healing process.