Rena 400 Vs. Tetra Whisper 60

About 10 months ago I scored a brand new Tetra Whisper 60 on Craigslist for $10. Runs great, moves a ton of air, even through my 46" of Marineland Bubble Wand. However, it's got a hum that I just don't like. Doesn't matter if I'm holding it in my hand, or it's sitting on it's rubber feet, IMO, it's noisy. At the time, they were closed to $30 new, but currently, they are $15-$22 with a quick google search.

Based on comments here, the Rena 400 is supposed to be completely silent, and move a lot of air. I'd put off buying one, because they're $50+ online and $65 plus tax locally.

I asked for a Rena 400 for Christmas and am very disappointed. I've tried 2 different pumps. Both are as noisy as the Tetra, and they move less air, even adjusted for wide-open flow. Needless to say, I'm keeping my cheap Tetra and might try a Coralife Luft next.

Edited by austinado16

I just ordered a Rena 400. Hoping it's quieter than the whisper. Urch. This is a challenge!

I don't get this. After reading the comments here, I went looking for the 400's at the local pet box store. The one I normally shop at didn't have the 400, but they did have the 300. (note: the repair kit for the 300 and 400 is the same, so they have the same guts). So I asked if I could take a 300 out of the box and plug it in. It was dead silent.....silent as in I put it up to my ear to see it was even running. So I figured if the 300 is that quiet, and basically has the same guts, the 400, with it's much large housing must be just as good.

Nope. The 400 has that normal old hum, just like any other air pump I've ever heard, including my Whisper 60. And I've tried 2 of them now, both have been tested not hooked up, and hooked up.

That seems to be the case...in my experience with the Tetra Whisper pumps. My 60's are very quiet but when I purchased a 100 it's very loud. The larger you go the louder they get for some reason. ;)

Well, I had a $50 gift card at Amazon, so I just purchased a Coralife Luft just a few minutes ago. It was $60.38 shipped. So I'll report back on what I think of it vs. the Tetra vs. the Rena 400.

If anyone wants the Rena 400, email me at: austinado16 at cs dot com

I'll make you a deal on it because I purchased it on ebay and can't just take it back.

I have a maxima dual air pump (but I believe its got another name now). That is so quiet you can't hear it even when standing next to it. It is also powerful enough for my 56 inch bubble wall. Best pump ever. I recently saw it in a magazine under its new name so ill have to look it up.

Oh, the pump you got instead is very good.

Edited by ashlee18

Yes, please look up the name!

Looking forward to trying the Coralife Luft. It was actually my first choice because air flow output is controlled by limiting volage to the electric motor, rather than just blocking off the air passage like the Rena and others do, and then letting the pump diaphrams work harder against that blockage.

The Tetra Whisper 60 probably has such good output because it has no flow control at all. It's just running wide open all the time. Perfect for my bubble stick which is burried under the gravel at the base of the 3D background.