Sign in to follow this  
us4298

Flaring Betta

Yesterday I noticed that my Betta would constantly spread out all of his fins to get bigegr and would constantly flare and attack the back of the tank, I geuss he's trying to attack his reflection. I also noticed that this habit seems to die down in te afternoon when there is not that much light. Will the constant flaring stress him out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Eedq4a5IA

No it's showing he's a healthy guy :yeah: Mine does it all the time too.

It is a common myth that Betta's shouldn't be next to each other because they will be stressed. What else do they have to think about trapped in their bowls, not the weather or predators...

I don't believe he would get "stressed" per say, at best it could help keep his finnage spread in tip-top condition due to his constant flexing. At worst, his beard my get a bit stuck and have one or both sides slightly or fully extended from the flaring. This happened to my Edgar (a Multi CT). He would also flare often at his reflection at the back of the aquarium. One day I noticed that his left beard and operculum was slightly distended in the flaring position. About a week of "no flaring" containment fixed the problem and the stressed area went back to normal all folded up. So long as that doesn't happen to your little guy he should be fine. Besides, it gives him something to do; stimulates him physically and mentally. :)

I used to make mine do it sometimes with a mirror, it was kind of funny! LOL He wouldn't so much attack, but just flare out and swim around a little bit faster for a minute. I thought it was good exercise for him because he was kind of a chill little bum. Haha!