Best Month To Receive Mail Order Goldfish In Northeast Usa?.

Erica Stolte

Actually summer would not be ideal because it could get quite hot in the shipping box. The warmer the water, the less oxygen and the more toxic ammonia is.

So I would say early in spring when it's still fairly cool, or late in fall when it starts getting cooler would be ideal times for shipping.

I recommend Spring and early Fall. Stay away from Winter period. I'm speaking from experience with my RG's. If you're going to purchase them in cold weather try to have Steve use next day air but I don't recommend it.

• Admin

I agree, just got to look at the temp of where the fish is coming from and where its going to.... If lets say its nice and warm in HI and snowing where you are its just going to make it really hard on the fish....

I remember Steve saying cool weather was preferable, but not sure how cool. My tele arrived I believe in Spring when it was pretty cool, and the water he was in was pretty frigid upon arrival, but he did really well and to date is the healthiest fish I've ever had. I will never purchase a fish anywhere other than Raingarden again! He's got some beautiful ones too...I remember how amazed I was at my tele, he was so much prettier than I was expecting. :)

Agreed with above posters. If possible try to pick up at location instead of having it door delivered. Less handling of the box and it wont get stuck on a delivery truck all day.

I wanted to follow to the good point that Jody made. I really don't think Steve ships next day air, so we have to go with 2nd day. Next time I go to RG I'll make arrangements to pick them up right at the FedEx facility rather than have them delivered to my home address. I did this last year in February and by the time they arrived at my door the water was definitely frigid. It took quite a while to get them acclimated to my tank. Definitely a stressful time for RG fish.

I don't think it's physically possible for goldfish to arrive in the mail in one day from HI to VT. Maybe if I took the plane myself to HI and packed them under my seat it might happen. Then they'd be awfully expensive goldfish.