Marine Ich

caitie

Yeah she's happier but so darn thin. No the two white spots are not like fungus they are def like large ich. But they've been there since around Dec 28. I think if they were ich they would have fallen off by now. :idont

One thing tho the freshwater dip made all the other spots fall off so that is good, and I'm pretty sure they fell off in the freshwater not the qt tank. :rockon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing tho the freshwater dip made all the other spots fall off so that is good, and I'm pretty sure they fell off in the freshwater not the qt tank.

That's really cool. I wonder if it would work with goldies. Like it is the equivalent of a 1% salt dip? I was always too afraid of those things.

How are the others? Was she the only one to get it?

One thing tho the freshwater dip made all the other spots fall off so that is good, and I'm pretty sure they fell off in the freshwater not the qt tank.

That's really cool. I wonder if it would work with goldies. Like it is the equivalent of a 1% salt dip? I was always too afraid of those things.

How are the others? Was she the only one to get it?

Yes it is like a very high salt dip for freshwater fish but it can be very stressful for them. I find freshwater ich easier to get rid of anyways. I never had to dip any of the freshwater fish to get rid of it. So far she is the only one sick but I still have to watch for a few weeks. The others could still get it. But I think she was vulnerable because the other two always pick on her. I think if I can save her I will rehome her.

Is she scratching on anything?

Do you have jumpstart?

I don't see her scratching, and the tank is totally bare except for the heater and thermometer. But she isn't showing any signs of anything being wrong except her being so skinny. I don't have Jumpstart but here is the recipe of her gelfood:

Peas; mixed garden vegetables; sardines; multi vitamin; probiotic; and now garlic. She is also getting lots of antiparasite food soaked in garlic.

I've been feeding her 4 times a day now to try and build up her strength. She leaves no food in her tank. And to keep the ammonia down I do 2 50% wc a day.

Edited by caitie

• Admin

I would just for the next day or so keep up what your doing... now that the ick is off... see if the food will help....If not we will have to figure out something else... i will start looking at some of my fish books hun :)

Koko something else has appeared. :unsure: Tonight after I did her wc I was just looking at her and I noticed that she now has some red pinpricks on her body. Not a lot but still I thought I should mention this. Her side also has a whitish look to it that I don't like. And since things always happen in threes, her gills are very pale pink and they look like they are inflamed. :krazy: I'm including a few pics I just took, they aren't great but at least you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here you'll see one of the pinpricks and the whitish sheen. You can also see her gill is not normal here:

molluich3005-1.jpg

With this one you can see some redness on her back just under the dorsal fin. In real you can see that it is all little red pinpricks. You can also see her gill here:

molluich3010-1.jpg

She is still very happy and active. The ammonia is finally dropping too so that should also help. :)

Right now she hasn't had any meds except the anti parasite food, but I do have melafix and pimafix on hand and if necessary I can pick something up later today when I go out.

Edited by caitie

Another quick update: I just looked in on her this morning and she looks much worse. She is now a very pale yellow and she is hiding out in the top corner near the heater. She did eventually come out for breakfast but she spit out everything she ate. She is looking very very skinny, almost as though her sides are almost touching. :undecided:

I'm on my way out now for a few hours, I don't know if she'll still be here when I come back, but I will update as soon as I come home. :(

• Admin

Crap shes going down hill :( It looks like she got a bacterial infection now.....Dang... the only thing I can think of that would be gentle is Melafix but Im worried about the gills :o

What about an antibiotic bath like baytril? Can that be done with marine fish? Seems like the food isn't for the right bacterial strain. :( how is she edith?

Dr.House got pale gills like that in the end :( not sure what could give her a boost. And why is she getting so thin?!

Thanks for replying Federica and Koko. I just got in and she looks really bad guys. :( She is tail standing when she is resting, and when she swims it is totally disoriented. She is not interested in food at all now. I don't know how it is possible but she looks even thinner than last night.

I went to the store where they got the Nox Ich for me but the guy said not to use it if she is so bad. I can't add antibiotics in the water because of the ammonia and they didn't have any stuff like prime or ammo-lock.

I already added in some melafix and pimafix in her water this morning because it help her before.

Koko you mentioned Medigold - unfortunately I would have to order online and honestly I don't think she'll make it much longer. But the jungle ant parasite food has Metronidazole in it so maybe I can try to force feed her some. I'll see what I can do about that.

I'll let you guys know how she does a little later on.

Here is a pic and video from a few minutes ago: :(

mollyich4001.jpg

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid634.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu70%2Fcaitie_bucket%2Fmollyich4005.mp4">

I contacted my vet and he recommended that I try Kanaplex in her water. He doesn't hold much hope but he thinks this might help. So I just added the first dose a few minutes ago and now we need to wait and see. He said I should see improvement in the next 24 hours. If she doesn't react well then it means we still have the wrong meds. I hope this works. :please

Edited by caitie

Thanks for asking. She seemed a bit better when I went to bed but this morning she was gone. :cry1 Her little body looks like she had bruises on her so I think she might of had some hemorhaging inside.

Thank you both for trying to help me through this. :heart

Thanks Federica. :heart I'm really frustrated right now because I still don't know what she had. I lost Miss molly to a coral sting on the 15th December and now Betty but I don't know what took her. I just hope the other two don't come down with anything. :unsure: The reef tank seems pretty empty with just Fred and Ginger left. :(

Poor things. :( Maybe they are more fit to live in 'safe' fresh water. But the other two are fine yea?

As soon as you have a cool new QT you can get some new fish.

I saw a Gobi the other day and I swear he was staring at me! He had some pretty insane colors.

Actually they can live good lives in the reef but I think my corals are just too aggressive. I spoke with the vet again and even tho he isn't a fish expert (but he has marine fish himself), He is thinking she may of had costia. That would explain the red pinpricks and also the whitish sheen we saw. At least she was in Qt and I know what symptoms to watch in the others, vet says I'll have to keep an eye out for at least 3 or 4 weeks. Just long enough to qt some new fish. ;)

I'm currently looking for a 10 gallon tank to set up as a qt. :yeah:

I love those little Gobies, they are adorable and you are right Federica they do stare out at you. :D But gobies love to rest on things and I'm afraid that my ricordias would gobble one up. I have so many ricordias, that they seem to cover up most of my rock work. I think I'll need to prune some back before I can get a goby in there, maybe I could pick up a small clown instead. We'll see.

Thanks Koko, you gave me some very good advice to try and help her. It's funny I think I finally have a pretty good idea about what to do when my freshwater fish get sick, but I was lost with her. I think she had too many things wrong to fix her. I just wish I knew what the chromis brought in. But the vet I talked too said if the others don't get sick in the weeks to come then I can relax. So far the other two seem in good health. :)

Thanks MJbubbles. :)