Marine Ich

caitie

One of my mollies in the reef tank has been sick for the last little while. Apparently the green chromis I didn't qt did have something catchy and she got it. So I have been treating her for a bacterial infection by the way of medicated dips. She seemed to be doing much better but then I noticed that the other two mollies were attacking her constantly so I set up the qt tank and I isolated her so she could rest. That's when I saw the dreaded white nodule. She only had one 2 days ago so I convinced myself it was something else, then last night she had at least 10 of the nodules. I hate treating salt water fish, it is totally different from freshwater.

So here are my treatment options:

Copper - bad choice because it is harsh on the organs and she is already weakened from the infection.

Formalin - Same as above

Hyposalinity - This is funny. Every 12 hours you change 1/5 of the water volume by dechlorinated freshwater. 36 hours later the specific gravity should be down to 1.010 whereas usually it is 1.025 in my tanks. You need to keep the affected fish for 6-8 weeks at that salinity level which should eventually rid her of the parasite. The disadvantage of this method is that it is long 8 weeks! And the PH could crash which can kill a fish quickly.

Daily 50% water changes and cleaning of the tank every single day. - This is the method I decided to try.

So far she is not showing any signs of illness, she is active and eating very well so I hope she'll pull through this. I really hope I isolated her in time so that there is no ich in the main tank. If the other fish get it I'll need to get all of the fish out of the tank somehow and the main tank would need to stay fishless for at least a month for the parasite to die off.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure is Koko. :( But so far so good the other two don't seem to have any spots so I'm hopeful I took her out in time. But the one in qt is getting more and more spots even though I'm doing daily vacuming and wiping down all the surfaces in the tank. :undecided: I have the temp in the qt tank set at 79 degrees but I think I'll raise it slowly to 82 and see if that helps. She is still acting perfectly normal for now.

Here is a pic taken a few days ago when she had only a few spots on her side. Now she has quite a few more spots.

ick012.jpg

Ok! So the stores around me are all out of the Nox Ich but one of them says he'll do a rush order from another store, but it will take a couple of days maybe not before the week end.

Here's my problem, I think she has something else going on. She is still active and eating very well but she is getting skinny. :unsure: I don't think the ich would make her skinny? Another thing is that she looks like she has dry skin, which I have never seen before. I tried getting a pic but it doesn't show up. I'm not sure if I should try feeding some jungle antibiotic food, since I have no idea what is going on here. :undecided:

As for water quality well the qt tank is showing some ammonia 0.25. But I'm doing 2 50% wc every day to get it down. I thought I would be okay because I used a cycled AC filter taken off the main tank.

• Admin

Do you have fish food with Garlic in it... or a Garlic type food/ spray.. i know that garlic is good for salt water fish and can make them more healthier inside :)

I find some information on how to do a ich treatment.... with out IchNox till you can get some...

Therapeutics: saltwater fish have a number of natural defenses against ich, and if the fish are healthy enough and the outbreak mild enough, sometimes the fish may cure themselves, just as they would in nature. We can assist them to some degree by maintaining good water quality and providing a nourishing diet. Raising the water temperature shortens the disease cycle and may add vigor to the fish's defense system. Lowering the salinity to about 1.015 seems to inhibit the breeding cycle of the parasites. Giving the fish a two minute freshwater dip may eradicate parasites from the outer layers of skin and gills. Keeping only a few fish in a large aquarium (as in the currently popular "reef" type tanks) can make it harder for each parasite to be successful in finding a host, and the disease may die out.

http://www.bestfish.com/saltich.html

Thanks Koko. :) I feed them home made gel food so I will make a new batch with some pureed garlic in it.

I raised the temp to 82 degrees so I have that covered. I had also read about the freshwater dip but I was nervous to try it, I guess at this point it is worth trying. I will try it tonight. And during tomorrows wc I will start to lower the salinity very slowly.

I'll let you know how she does. :)

• Admin

Make sure when doing the Dip hun keep a very close eye, if you see her not breathing well get her out hun :) I have only done that once with a fish :)

I'll watch her well. I've done the opposite a few times, very high salt dips on freshwater fish. Hopefully this will go as well. When you did a freshwater dip did you have to do anything to the ph? The ph in my qt tank is 8.4 but the fresh water is closer to 8.0? Can this cause her any problems? :undecided:

• Admin

For a fast dip it shouldnt do anything hun, if you were to leave her in there for more than 2 mins it could.... i had the same problem with my ph too cause of the coral in my tank...I just kept an eye out and once I see any problems with the fish I put it back even if it wasnt for the full 2 mins.. :)

I just finished the dip. It went well she stayed in there for the whole 2 minutes but when I took her out she was just starting to fall on her side, so 2 minutes seems to be her maximum.

Here is a pic of her in the freshwater:

marinemollyfreshwaterdip022.jpg

I took a little video of her in the freshwater dip.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid634.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu70%2Fcaitie_bucket%2Fmarinemollyfreshwaterdip016.mp4">

And here she is back in her qt tank and she is not happy:

marinemollyfreshwaterdip027.jpg

Should I do a dip every day until she has no spots left? Or is once enough?

Okay, she is really miffed right now. :rolleyes: Still swimming but when I approach her tank she dives to the bottom. Poor sweetie really didn't like her bath. :D I have her tank covered with a towel right now so that she can relax. I'll post back in the morning to report how she's doing.

Thanks for all your help Koko. :heart

Thank you Helen. :) She is very sluggish this morning and rather pale. I think I'll have to just let her rest today and see what happens. :undecided:

Oh poor thing :( Hope she pulls through.

I also heard of the garlic thing. An angel breeder here uses that to control internal worms. :)

Thank you Federica. :) She is not a happy camper right now. :ill I'm letting her rest, with lights off and no treatments except her wc later. I fed her a piece of shrimp soaked in some garlic juice, she ate some but not all. I guess now it is just a waiting game. :undecided:

• Admin

Keep me posted hun... if shes sluggish I would let her be and see how she is tomorrow hun... slow steps :) and make sure you feed her that garlic :)

I will Koko. I've just looked in on her. She is still sluggish and pale but her slime coat seems better, her skin doesn't look dry anymore. She still has some white spots but not as much. Her tummy and sides are very sunken in though. I don't know why she is getting so skinny. :(

Here's the daily update: She still has most of her spots, she is more active though. I think I should do another freshwater dip today.

My main problem right now is that the ammonia is really getting high. This morning it was 1. I immediately did a 70% wc but the ammonia goes right back up. I am starting to get some nitrites but it is very slight. The nitrates are just a trace. I've been adding Nutrafin Cycle because I've had succes in the past with it but it doesn't seem to help in the salt water. :undecided:

I won't be able to get out until tomorrow but when I do I was wondering if there is anything else I should pickup with the nox ich?