Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

How I Almost Lost A Fry

This took place last week.

I have a plastic thermometer that sticks to the side of the tank with a suction cup. I am sure a lot of people may have these types of thermometers.

Mine was stuck to the side of the tank, I did my water change, checked the temp to make sure it was ok, and left the fish room.

I came back a few hours later to syphon and re-feed, and I noticed the suction cup on the thermometer must have come loose, because the suction cup was at least an inch above the water! (it must have come loose and bobbed quickly to the surface and then stuck loosely to the glass an inch above the water line)

And there stuck between the suction cup and the glass OUT OF THE WATER was one of my baby fish :(

I was horrified until I saw the fry wiggling. Holy Cow it's alive. The suction had trapped a tiny pocket of water between the cup and the glass thank doG.

I freed him and he just floated on the surface. So I took a margarine container, put half and inch of tank water and some food in it, and put the little guy in there for 20 minutes. Then I put him back in the tank.

I was sure he was a goner....

but nope, he's still swimming :lol

So I just thought I'd share, so anyone with those types of thermometers in a fry tank, can double check them, and make sure they are indeed stuck to the glass securely.

Jessica

Thank goodness you noticed it in time, Jess!! I have those thermometers all the time, and they get loose a lot, so I gave up suctioning them to the glass, I just let them bob on the water surface....Unfortunately, some of my fish think its a toy, which is mostly okay, unless they get that thought in the middle of the night!!

Did you have a look at those thermometers that you can stick on the OUTSIDE Of the tank? I don't know how reliable they are though.... :)

Yes I have one of those that sticks on the outside. It totally lies though :P I think that you can get better brands of those though, mine is so low budget. I will try to find another one that sticks on the outside, but a bit better quality.

I usually just let the thermometer bob around, but I thought it would be better to stick it, when it is in the fry tank.

Well it's stuck on there good now!!

Jessica

Dang what a lucky and strong fish.......You should call him lucky :lol

Black Oranda I know! It was probably the weirdest fish related thing I have ever had happen to me. I could not believe my eyes when I saw him wiggling!

You never know what these fish are going to get themselves into! sheesh :lol Good thing they are so cute!

I think he was floating because he was weak and hungry. His belly was empty, which is why I put him in shallow water with food. Poor thing. All the fry basically look the same, except this one and the whiter one. This one, that trapped himself is the ugliest :wub: so I can actually tell him apart. Of 11 fry, so far I can only tell the difference between 3.

Jessica

Im so happy that it worked out for you. I think that lucky will be an excellent name for him/her

Guest Rudolf

Fry can be pretty hardy!.Two of mine are experienced in what I call "white water rafting". They have had the dubious thrill of travelling through the vacuum syphon and into a bucket. Luckily they were not hurt and a thriving to this day!

Guest OzzMosiz

One of my fry was gobbled up by its parents. I flicked the glass and the parent spat him out, I scooped him up and he lived for a while. He may still be alive! I have had 40 fry pass away so no idea if he is alive. I also had a fry with severe fungus, he/she overcame it and I think he/she is still alive too.