Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Keeping Nitrates Low In Unplanted Tank

I have heard that some people's goldfish even destroy java ferns and anubias. I haven't tried those plants in my tank myself yet but I am sure my goldis would destroy the plant, even if they don't eat it.

So to keep the nitrates low in my tank I stuck a semi aquatic plant into the partly opened lid of my HOB filter.

Ever since that, my nitrate in the slightly overstocked goldfish tank (6 fish in 55g, two of them single tails) don't exceed 10ppm, and it kind of looks neat how the plant sticks out of the filter.

Not sure how this works with other types of filters, but for HOB it works really well. :)

I bet that would work great with a bamboo plant. I have seen some really nice set ups with a rubber maid bin full of house plants to do the same thing. And of course you can just put them in the tank. lol

Yep! But I didn't have a bamboo, just some wrong labeled LFS plants that were sold as aquatic, but turned out to not like being fully submerged. :D

Ya they sell a lot of bog plants that like water but not being in the water. lol Those would make wonderful HOB filter plants.

So just having roots in the water is helpful?

So just having roots in the water is helpful?

Yes, that is how most plants absorb nutrients. But you have to make sure they don't leech toxics into the tank as some plants go for biological war-faire. ;)

So if my anacharis isn't rooted does it do any good?

So if my anacharis isn't rooted does it do any good?

Anacharis and some other 'real' waterplants (plants that have to be fully submerged all the time) like elodea also absorb nutrients trough their leaves so It should help lower nitrate even when it does not have roots.

I like the idea of putting a plant in the HOB where the Certain Individuals cannot eat it!

I like the idea of putting a plant in the HOB where the Certain Individuals cannot eat it!

That was my thought too. And these two plants are only about 3 inches tall, still they absorb lots of nitrate. I got 6 medium to large fish in my 55g tank and now on day 4 after the last water change the water params are still 0/0/5

ditto the photo request! :)

ETA: :please

Edited by Seymoura

I think I have a plant that would work for this, how do you know if the plant will leach toxins or not? Maybe I can post a picture of the plant?

I think I have a plant that would work for this, how do you know if the plant will leach toxins or not? Maybe I can post a picture of the plant?

Looking them up and seeing if they are toxic to pets. :)

Sure post it :)

Have to try this with my aquaclear until I get some more media! It looks all empty.

man this is awesome, thanks for posting this. will try soon!

Hey Fang, you had another thread long ago about using Pothos plant (leaving it grow roots in the water). That is what i did and it works out great (Nitrates are kept very low and no algae). My goldfish actually tried to spawn on the roots(!) so i had to make a spawning mop :P and remove Pothos plant. I will add it back again as i am getting Nitrates even from tub water.

I also have several Anubias and the goldfish don't eat the old leaves BUT i left them 3 days without food (left my mom to feed them when i was away for 3 days and she forgot) and when i came back i saw the new branches/fresh leaves of the Anubia were eaten. They never ate Anubia leaves before, so i guess they eat the plants when they are hungry hahaha :P

Cool article Shakaho, too bad i don't have a pond.

Edited by Spyromon

It's for an aquarium, Spyromon. I will move it inside when I have some fish I want to put in an indoor tank.

Fang, I really don't know what a sump setup is. I'm too lazy to look up something that I'm not going to use. Isn't it under your tank? Do you have the pump down there? Don't you need a drilled tank? If so, it's easy to put the water through a bog instead of another filter. I designed this so anyone could use it without any specialized equipment. Just a regular tank, a pump/powerhead, some tubing, pipes and fittings, a bog container, and a bag of pea gravel.

If you have good lighting and choose a pretty container, this can be gorgeous.

Elodea, cabomba, Ceratophylum, Myriophylum like nitrate but seems to prefer ammonium (NH4+), that's a good thing if the Ph is low (more ammonium than ammonia). They begin to "eat" nitrates when there is no more ammonium.

The plants that seem to trully prefer nitrates to ammonium are Echinodorus, Litorella (rare), Lobelia.

The "holly grail" of aquatic plant would be an ammonia/nitrite eater.....Taking the issue to the root (without play on words!).