My Tank Came With A Power Filter Already. Is It Any Good?

Guest jayhawks

Guest jayhawks

well, as i was expecting, the tank is a starter tank made by top fin. it came with a top fin 30 power filter. as i already know, goldfish are very filthy. i can't afford the new filter with my own money as of now. i only have 50 dollars in my checking account. i highly doubt it is powerful enough to get the tank up and running and to keep up with the fish waste. should i use the filter as a temporary filter until the next day when my mom will buy me a new filter? no matter what happens, i will keep this included filter as a backup because my upgraded filter (a penguin model) broke down and the fish died. it has to be better than having no filter on the tank. i will post pictures of the tank, filter and supplies i received today shortly. merry christmas everyone and thanks for the great advice. i should never trust the employees at my local pet store, they just lead me to trouble.

No, it won't be strong enough. The Top Fin 30 has only 150gph, but you are going to need 300gph (You got a 30gallon tank if I remember right?)

It will be alright for a couple days though, just do some extra water changes until you get the stronger filter to keep the ammonia under control. I haven't followed your other topics yet, so excuse me if I mention something that you already figured out :)

Fill the filter with as much filter material as possible. As you too use Pet$mart as source, get the Marineland Rite Size Undergravel filter media, it is a bag with some big blue foamy stuff in it. Cut it down and stuff your filter with it, and then just transfer it to the larger filter when you get it.

You can definitely keep the Top Fin 30 as backup filter or use it in a quarantine tank/tub if ever needed. A too small filter is always better than none at all, you're right. You can even have it run additionally with your new filter, that way you definitely have more than enough filtration and if you are going to need the smaller filter for a quarantine tank, then it is already cycled.

Merry Christmas to you too and feel free to ask as much as you need! :)

Guest jayhawks

No, it won't be strong enough. The Top Fin 30 has only 150gph, but you are going to need 300gph (You got a 30gallon tank if I remember right?)

It will be alright for a couple days though, just do some extra water changes until you get the stronger filter to keep the ammonia under control. I haven't followed your other topics yet, so excuse me if I mention something that you already figured out :)

Fill the filter with as much filter material as possible. As you too use Pet$mart as source, get the Marineland Rite Size Undergravel filter media, it is a bag with some big blue foamy stuff in it. Cut it down and stuff your filter with it, and then just transfer it to the larger filter when you get it.

You can definitely keep the Top Fin 30 as backup filter or use it in a quarantine tank/tub if ever needed. A too small filter is always better than none at all, you're right. You can even have it run additionally with your new filter, that way you definitely have more than enough filtration and if you are going to need the smaller filter for a quarantine tank, then it is already cycled.

Merry Christmas to you too and feel free to ask as much as you need! :)

album is updated.

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i449/purepl416/

You wanted to add one fish right? If so that filter should be fine for now, especially if your goldy is small. Just dont stock the tank to its max. Add the other filter when you can, when the fish gets bigger and the filter can't keep up. Try to extend the filter intake to the bottom of the tank for proper circulation.