Nasty Stuff In Joint Of Filter, Seems Like Glue

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

In the time I posted the problem in the status update until now the junk in the joint has hardened and is like glue! I was GOING to ask if it would be worth it to clean it up and keep it or just exchange it but I think now I don't have a choice! The lever will NOT go down in the locking position now. Unless I want to break it. WHY would there be GLUE in there?? Could it have leaked out from somewhere? At FIRST I thought it was gum :0 LOL. When I first saw it the joint rotated slowly like it WAS glue but now it won't move at all. The stuff is very greasy. Any ideas???

gross1-1.jpg

gross2.jpg

looks like greese though not glue :S to lube up the bending process . but maybe there was too much and its stuck? wiggle the part around maybe? or open it up if you can.. orrr go back to where you got it and be like " HEY ! FIX THIS OR GHIMME A NEW ONE !" and hopefully they shall listen.

Guest Halloween

is this a new filter? looks gross!

Yeah, brand new.

----------------------------------------

I'll be taking it back on the 31st to exchange it. not even gonna ask if it's normal. Obviously it isn't. I already have a Rena Filstar 3. That's what this one is and the old one didn't have anything like this in it.

• Admin

Yeah one reason if I buy anything like a filter, i will make sure its sealed up, or if it doesnt have a wrap on it I will open the top to make sure it looks brand new :)

Looks like someone smeared white lithium grease in that area. I don't see why that's needed since a) we're not talking about a part that sees a lot of motion, and b) during it's motion, there's not much loading that would cause wear/damage.

Take that filter back and adhear to the comment above about only buying a filter from a sealed up box.

I went through this learning curve myself. I think I went through 3 filters at the local pet-box store before I finally just had them order me one. On one of the Fluvals I purchased, someone had cut the corrogated intake and outlet hoses, and then spliced them together internally with short pieces of car radiator hose. It's now pretty rare that I buy anything from them other than water treatment or bulbs, but if I do, I always examine the contents of the box/package.

Guest Halloween

I will be taking it back but it was an xmas present and it came from Pets-Mart. None of their Filstars have plastic around them. They're just sold in sturdy cardboard boxes.

Guest Halloween

Oh, so that's a Rena XP, huh? You might ask other Rena XP owners if their locking levers have grease in that location.

I'm a Fluval 405 guy, so can't help you with the details of a Rena.

Never had a Fluval myself.

I already have a Rena. The exact same one actually (I wanted a second one to supplement the first) and the icky grease stuff is definitely not right. Probably just a manufacture error. That happened with my gaming computer last year around this time (also a gift lol). The motherboard was fried even though the computer was brand new.

All kinds of lame stuff like this happens to me! I just accept it. hahaha.

Well, if you've got some paint thinner, or Goof Off around the house, that grease should just wipe off. Then wash with soap and hot water, and you're back in business.

Yeah, but if you buy a brand new filter you shouldn't have to use paint thinner on it first before you can use it. I'd take it back and exchange it for another one that does not have this stuff on them.

• Admin

After looking at that pic and you said it wont move. It looks like its cocking, does it feel when you touch it like rubber?

That stuff shouldnt be on there at all, that is strange...

When you take it back, look at the new box, open the top and make sure it looks like no one has ever moved anything like it looks all new, if not get a different one. :)

Guest Halloween

After looking at that pic and you said it wont move. It looks like its cocking, does it feel when you touch it like rubber?

That stuff shouldnt be on there at all, that is strange...

When you take it back, look at the new box, open the top and make sure it looks like no one has ever moved anything like it looks all new, if not get a different one. :)

No, it's very greasy, and sticky. Not rubbery at all. Has the consistency of Desitin.

My dad and I are going to take it back tomorrow (first chance since xmas!) and get a new one.

Well, from what others are saying, it's just a lubricant (lithium grease) used to help that latching mechanism move smoother. It's not exposed to the tank water, so I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if that's how it was purposely built.