Dr.house's Mouth Is Locked Shut!

I will do that then. At least if I can get the dropsy down, and manage to find a way to feed her. the gill I can work on. I am still not sure what caused it. I should have been way more worried when I saw it happen at first instead of thinking it was a curl.... poor thing... I hope she isn't suffering too much. I feel terrible

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you are stressing about her and worried about doing nothing, but I think that maybe if you give her a day in clean water before putting her back in the baytril that will help her calm down.

Remember that dropsy is not a disease, it is merely a symptom. And often it is a first warning sign.

I have heard of fish who start to pinecone as an equivalent of our goosebumps! So I think that especially because it's localized, it may be minor.

I'll look in my books (I got Fancy Goldfish for Christmas and still have the Noga book!) and I will get back to you soon.

:heart to you, my dear. :)

thanx Sarah. I do think the dropsy could be a warning, especially since she is so prone to it. But I have talked to so many people (read the fancy goldfish tons of times) and I really have no clue what could be causing this.

I do think that the gill is what we need to focus on - it was the first symptom (gulping and twitching). I just don't know if this could still be a parasite that just don't show up on body scrapes? And that wouldn't cause extra slime??? Otherwise the gill is infected and it is spreading. No clue.

The Baytril the vet prescribes is only to be done day 1,3 and 5. So for sure tomorrow nobody is going anywhere near Dr.House!

Okey really off to bed now! Night girls.

I'm so sorry all this is happening hun. :hug Try to have a good rest and see how she is tomorrow. You really have done all that you could for her. I agree with Sarah some fish react by pineconing every time they are uncomfortable. So maybe the baytril even if it is helping ,might have stressed her out and she reacted. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be a bit better and you'll be able to figure out all the other stuff.

I'll be thinking of you and dear little Dr House. :heart

Hey everyone :)

She is still hanging in there - resting on the floor with her dorsal up.

The vet answered with not much information, just that if I wanted to start the liquid metro I needed to stop the baytril. And to try that if it had worked in the past - but what had worked was the food, I never used the liquid version...

I will have a look at her scales later. Main goal to day is to get her to eat something. Might just make a type of baby food and just put the 'soup' in the water?

Last time she ate a few bloodworms was sunday :(

I guess that if I manage to get her to suck it up I could somehow mix in the metro in there. oh boy.

Oh great idea mikroll! I have those frozen - otherwise they sell the hatcheries at my LFS, how long until those things hatch? Mirkoll, do you have any idea what could be causing all this?

okey update on the scales:

the are still prickly but nothing too dramatic. She no longer looks swollen behind the gills from what I can see. The scares are now mostly prickly near the butt area. But she doesn't have a swollen look thankfully.

Also something else I noticed is that she hasn't pooped for a while - at least since sunday/monday - this is because of the lack of food right?

Unfreezing the daphnia and will try those. fingers crossed guys!

I have been doing a bit of research on the gill: 2 main symptoms: pale and swollen. This is what I found

Just-pale gills are essentially normal insofar as they aren't missing chunks of tissue as above. The edge of the gill is usually homogenous with the rest of the gill, but the whole gill is simply pale. This is ALMOST ALWAYS the way gills look when there is poor water quality with concurrent gill infestation with parasites. I rarely see pale gills without a solid, dense population of gill flukes. The reason the gills are pale is because the gills are bleeding through thousands of tiny microvascular lesions created by the parasites. For this, expect to lose more fish, but bring it under control with SupaVerm, Salt and Medicated food. The real "edge" goes to those who can kick off the whole regimen with an injection of antibiotics for the affected fish.
When you see a fish with swollen gill covers, you can almost assume that Flukes are chronically present in the case. Examine the gills and see what they look like. Compare the condition of the gills to the cases above. If they gills are crimson and healthy, then it would be an odd case. A microscope biopsy would also shed light on the case. If you discover that Flukes are the actual trouble, consider their clearance using either Fluke Tabs or SupaVerm.

The vet in Geneve which is the one who QTs all new fish told me right away it was flukes... He also said that prazi wouldn't always get rid of all...

I am wondering if flukes DID start all of this. My vet had told me that the PraziPro is quite a weak dose. I would have to do 2-3x the dose. When I had done that on House she had bottom sat and clamped... COULD it be that there are still flukes present? And that they didn't come up on the scrape? Then all the other problems came off of that? Mouth shut from painful gills? Dropsy from spreading infection?

What do you guys think???

oh this is breaking my heart...

She got so excited for the daphnia and started swimming around trying to get it but her mouth just won't open... At a certain point she even lost her balance.... :(

I am not sure she will make it this time... How can she fight if she can't even eat?

I am starting to consider having to put her down... :( But my boyfriend is totally against it as she could have a chance of survival. I think I will see if I can get her to eat by the weekend. Otherwise... :'( I am also not comfortable putting her to sleep if she is willing to eat. There is still some fight in there and I want to give her a chance.

I think that the best option for her now is: either a broad range parasite killer (which also does crustaceans - as let's not forget the white balls) or bathing her in the metro... Question is - is the root problem parasitic or bacterial? Because if the fin flicking I remember and the looking for oxygen I almost want to say parasitic...

Please anyone with their opinion let me know.

oh this is breaking my heart...

She got so excited for the daphnia and started swimming around trying to get it but her mouth just won't open... At a certain point she even lost her balance.... :(

I am not sure she will make it this time... How can she fight if she can't even eat?

The poor little one. :(

• Supporter

frederica.. i have a thought.. okay.. i have never encountered this at all so this is just a stab in the dark.. something similar i had to do for sir loyn but he has a gob that can fit a watermellon in..

what i did is i mashed peas, then i added epsom drew in some tank water to dilute the mixture and shook it to blend (this was his treatment) then i fed him with a syringe.. if you can go down to the chemist (drug store) and purchase a butterfly needle (the ones with the fine tubing that attach to a needle at one and and a syringe at the other), chop the needle off perhaps you can force her mouth open a little to squirt some diluted food into it? like drip feed if you will..

thanx helen, I did think of the syringe but the issue is that her mouth is 'vacuumed' in if you will. So there is no hole for me to put the siring into. :(