Dr.house's Mouth Is Locked Shut!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not looking - the lights are off because she is already under enough stress. I will check tomorrow morning most likely. Also not feeding her until tomorrow.

For now just hoping she gets through the bath okay.

She is clamping a bit now. :( Do you guys think it would be okey for me to move her back in like 30mins if she doesn't look better then?

It is now 8.00pm - I would be moving her at 8.30 instead of 10.30...??? 8hr bath instead of 10.

It was the current. I blocked the airtube a bit more and moved them to the other side of the tank. Her dorsal is back up and she is back to her position near her pot. Took a look at the gill and it seems less different than the other - but both seem to be opening quite a lot. :(

Won't move her just yet then. It is difficult to give her the needed air tho without current. :doh11: It will be good once she is back in the main tank there is lots of oxygen there!

I am afraid I don't have very good news... :(

I just moved her back and took a quick look at her while she was in the moving bowl and the scales behind her gills are starting to lift :'(

Now, anyone have any idea if this could be caused by the Baytril or that it just confirms that she has some sort of infection going on???

The tank is salted at 0.2%. Should I switch to epson??? Her slime is in pretty bad shape tho because of the 2 scrapes taken...

I will email the vet.

Thanx Becs, this really sucks :(

I tried to feed her a few Saki Hikari into crumbs and she seems interested but just can't suck them up :(

Okey trying to make a call here. could the baytril be hard on kidneys?????? I am not wondering if I should empty the hospital tank - fill it with water and epson and move her in there + slowly raise the heat. Would the shock from 0.2% to no salt be too much??? I hate always having to move her back and forth! But it might help...?

I've never heard of Baytril being hard on kidneys, it's what my vet has prescribed for every dropsy case I've brought to her, so I don't think so. It's the Kanamycin that's hard on kidneys.

Sorry she's not doing better yet :( Hopefully the vet has some ideas. I would leave her for now and wait and see what he says.

He isn't usually very fast at answering emails - more a weekly thing so far. So I sort of have to decide what to do myself...

That's it. I filled up the hospital tank with some aged water. Waiting for the temp to match and I will move her back in. Before I go to bed I will add the espon. It worked the past 2 times so I am keeping my fingers crossed. But the not being able to eat is really worrying me at this point... (will also warm up the water slowly.)

It is also possible that this is a reaction to the salt - she has always been a bit sensitive to it. So it is a possibility.

edit: okey she is in the tank with only fresh water/prime/air and heater

she is active enough to sit straight and sometimes races to top for attempt at gulping. What could be causing this???

Ugh,Fedeundecided.gif I'm afraid I do not know whats causing it-I've been following along and sending you and DH good vibessmile.gifI just wanted to tell you that my fish,Macy,who has p/coned 2x like DH-also p/c'd again this week-he is in a qt w/ epsom and getting a/b food-and he's doing fine,good,in fact. I thought that might just give you a little encouragementwink.gifAlso,do you have any garlic juice that you might break the food into small(tiny)pieces and soak a little to help her?

hey Susan. I am just a little overwhelmed with all that is going on with her. If it was just one thing i could deal with it. But the gill, the mouth, and now the dropsy are freaking me out. I am not sure what the best step to treat her is. She looks so sad. And the not being able to eat is really really worrying me.

I don't know if the gill caused the mouth to be stuck. If they are not at all related. If a parasite that didn't show up in the scrape caused this. I don't have any clue.

For now I have her in the hospital tank slowly raising the temp. Should I add the epson? I might. I also have Metro in liquid form. Do you know anything about this? What always worked for my dropsies was the Jungle AP. But if she isn't eating, and is too small to get a shot... :(

I wonder if all is somehow linked to the dropsy....

The Baytril I don't think did anything except further stress her.

I am just really down about this. I don't know why it is always our favorite fish who get sick...

I don't know about the liquid meds-do you put it on food or add it to the water? Do you have any garlic juice you can soak the a/b food to entice her? It seems if you could get her to eat,and add epsom for the p/c-you could worry about the rest laterohmy.gif

The enticing isn't the issue :( she tries to eat but her mouth just won't open anymore. Both her gills are not pretty swollen with the raised scales :(

It is 2am here. I will try again tomorrow morning. Should I add the epson overnight? It could irritate possible soars in the gill or something?

The liquid would be in the water like the Baytril :( I just don't think water meds work too well for such things, but it is the only option I have left if she won't manage to eat...

Poor Fede,you need to get some sleepundecided.gif I don't know if it will irritate her gillsad.gifI only know about it's relaxing properties-I don't know about the salinity-sorrysad.gifThis is going to have to be Mom's call-what would allow you to sleep better ? And can you leave a couple of tee-tiny bits of food in the bottom for her?

It's not the only option. You can always consider injections if she refuses to eat and antibiotics are necessary. Just something to keep in mind. I know she is really small, but it may still work. Your vet will know for sure. Hang in there Federica and Dr. House :heart

I will add it. Last time she got dropsy it was gone just with epson and heat.

I am just wondering if you guys know if there could be parasites in her gills causing this that wouldn't have shown up on the scrape?

Yea I am really worried about her. She NEVER bottom sat like this even when she was 3x her size in the first dropsy. I think all these things happening to her at the same time are really overwhelming her :(

@ Sakura, I really don't trust my vet enough. At this point he didn't even manage to come up with a sure diagnosis, all his visit did was stress her even more :( As for the shots he also said she was too small. She is about the size of my pinky (and I have tiny hands). If at least we knew what was the root cause of this it would be much easier to pin point the treatment.

It is for sure a domino effect-just 1 thing after the other-my heart bleeds for both of youheartpump.gifI think adding the epsom will be fine-and maybe help her while you get some sleep. I would leave a couple of pieces of food toowink.gif