Dr.house's Mouth Is Locked Shut!

Oh great idea the epson! Maybe the bottom lip has also become a little swollen, so it def should help. Good thing I didn't add the salt yet.

I will add 1/4 teaspoon every 10Gal correct? 30Gal tank not fully filled I will add a bit more than a half?

As for the massaging that is what I originally thought - but because of her enormous eyes I cannot access the mouth from the sides, just the top and bottom, which I am not sure would help... :(

Raising temp?

She is literally swimming around begging for food right now :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: Exactly what I needed on Christmas eve.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okey added the epson. I will leave her a few hrs and see. Maybe overnight since she isn't distressed (unlike me!)

Then tomorrow morning I will do your tweezer idea and try and massage the side of the mouth.

I hope this gets resolved!

Oh Boy!!! Dr.House will not stop even for the holidays. :rolleyes: You can try to massage her under her chin, apparently if you apply a little bit of pressure there it might release her jaw. Hope she'll soon be back to 'normal'. :yeah:

Hey Edith! I know!!! She looks so happy even with her mutilated jaw!!! I am the one getting grey hair here!!!

I love the idea of massaging the chin - sounds fairly simple. Will try all this tomorrow morning as I dare not do these things at midnight. :doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

I hope Santa would help Dr . House out too... :)

Too bad about your hair! :rofl

Btw did the link help? o.0

UPDATE!!!

So I couldn't enjoy my Christmas seeing House like this.

So I tried your way Edith - she rested in my hand partly in the water while I massaged her chin with a Q-TIP. HER MOUTH OPENED while I massaged - various big breathes she took.

BUT

As soon as I put her back in the water it is in the locked position again!!! She cannot open it :( I did see a few air bubbled come out of the mouth tho...

So, what do I do now??? My boyfriend thinks it is broken... But would she have been able to move it if it was broken?!?!

Oh Dr.House... :wall

So I tried again - massaging and pushing down slightly on the top. And she again opened her mouth fully various times while I was cupping her in my hand. But again when I let her go she is breathing with her mouth fully closed...

If this continues it will become a thing that I have to lift her up everyday to feed her?!

OMG YOU GUYS SHE JUST ATE

okey so I put in a few micro blood worms in the tank and she sucked them up with the closed lips!!! Omg she is so precious... SO now what do I do? Should I let her be and see if it resolves itself? I figure - 1. she isn't acting stressed 2. she somehow manages to eat (a HUGE concern of mine since she is so small)...

I will just have to make all the food VERY tiny. And maybe tiny portions too?

Does anyone know if there could be a correlation with the funky gill and the mouth issue? Maybe I should take a scrape for flukes?

I think a scrape wouldn't hurt, would it? If she manages to eat tiny stuff, she can probably suck on soft gel food and eat it. She's in the tank together with Steve Urkel and no one else, right? Then I think that even if this is going to be a permanent condition, she should be fine if fed with gel food. I hope :)

yea just with Little Urkel :)

I took a video of her earlier because she was doing a funky thing with her fins - you can also see her closed mouth breathing.

My link

Edit: Now she isn't doing it anymore. But I thought it strange... (also excuse the bubbles on her little face, she lost slime with the face massage so they all get stuck)

Could it be flukes?!?! I will do a scrape tomorrow morning. I stressed her enough today - even if she was SO good about it all.

Aw,what a sweetiewub.gifEating is the important thing-now you can afford to wait and see if it resolves itself-it's not as critical. A scrape would eliminate something you can treat and certainly won't hurt. Hey,something just occurred to me-I was trying to think what could make a fishes jaw lock-and the only time I've heard of it getting stuck is getting stuck OPEN w/ food caught in their mouths/throats-do you think she could possibly have that? Just a thought. BTW,she and Urkel make quite the pairtongue.gifI think it sounds like this could still resolve itself..........

Hey Susan! Yea they are too funny together! It would be funny if Urkel turns out to be a boy :rofl Imagine the mutant babies then!!! :ignore

I DO think this is linked to a large krill she got in her mouth the other day. How it got stuck shut I am not sure. Unless she hurt herself and doesn't want to do the mouth breathing thing because it hurts??? I will stick to the mini blood worms as food for the next few days as she can eat those well. Then tomorrow I will call my goldfish friend here and see if he has experienced anything similar.

I am really relieved she can eat tho!

- Susan, do you have any ideas about the fin twitching?

yup you can see it in the video - doesn't it look strange?

Tomorrow I will take a scrape. It could be possible that it is all linked...

This is the video I had taken of the funky gill. Curled gill or flukes?

My link

Could the gill be a gill infection???

Right now I am thinking of doing a large water change and adding Prazi overnight. The gill inside does look nice and red from what I can see tho.

I also sent the 2 videos to my friend in Holland. I have no idea about bacterial gill infection...

It just seems suspicious that everything is happening at the same time. Maybe she cannot open her mouth because her gill is so swollen!!!

I don't think it could be a bacterial infection of the gills otherwise she would be lethargic and she wouldn't want to eat. Especially if it was swollen enough to affect her mouth. It has to be something else but what? About the fin twitching I'm not sure it means anything other than being funky. I've seen my blackmoor do that occasionally too and he isn't sick. The big water change won't hurt but I'm worried if she isn't too comfortable with her mouth shut like that then the prazi might not be a good idea. :undecided:

It does sound like it could be related,but I don't even have any other guesses as to what it could beundecided.gifI hope your friend has an answer for you so you can get this mystery solvedidd.gifI'll be interested to see what he saysheadscratch.gif

So I just did a huge water change. I will do another one later to make sure all the Epson is out and then I go ahead with some salt?

Edith - I really don't know. The more I look at her gill the more it looks swollen and not curled. I have been looking back on some old threads and various cases of one sided swollen gill turned out to be bacterial. :( Would salt help this or would antibiotics be better? The only fresh medicated food I have left is Jungle Anti BACTERIAL.

Susan - yea I hope he answers quick. I am at a total loss.

So do you guys think I should wait with the Prazi? Maybe after I attempt to do the scrape? All the scrapes I ever looked at where 'cleared' by my friend as we looked at his fish together. So I am not sure how good I can be at identifying problems in them. I guess anything that moves.... :o

Maybe add prazi after you do the scrape just so you're sure. If she were to react badly to the prazi that wouldn't be good :( Doesn't it reduce oxygen in the tank? That would be bad with her breathing hindered.

Yes I'm worried about the oxygen too if you add prazi. :undecided: I'm just doing some research too see what all these things could be so I'll be back eventually to let you know what I find. :)

I think I would just offer her more to eat-to keep up her strength-until you can get some confirmation of what it may be. Tomorrow is just a few hours away,and the less meds,the better IMO,until you know. Didn't you say you can take scrapes and email the pics to your Koi Dr?

I took a scrape. I even took off a scale!!! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

I don't see anything. But there is some movement - which I am not sure but could be from the air coming in... adding some water. brb.

So here's some info I found: Gills that are swollen open could be from flukes or caused by damages to the gills because he had flukes.

The reason I doubt it could be bacterial is that it usually means bad water quality or lack of dissolved oxygen. Which I know your fish have never been exposed to.

Here are the symptoms of bacterial gill disease: (Does Dr House have any of these?)

• Rapid gill movement
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Clamped fins
  • Decomposing gill arches
  • White streaks of gills
  • Gills look like ?hamburger meat?
  • White gill edges (pH)
  • Hanging out at surface (Low oxygen)
  • Mucus Hanging off Gills (flukes or pH)
  • Holes in Gill Covers (fish tb or flukes)
  • Pale Gill Covers (flukes or IHN virus)