Dr.house's Mouth Is Locked Shut!

You guys will NEVER believe it!!! :blink:

Ok full story:

So the vet (who was really very nice to her) used a special anaesthetizer for fish. He doesn't like clove oil because it takes about 10 -15 mins for the fish to sleep and this stresses the fish. He used a special drug (forgot the name!) which USUALLY gets the fish sleeping in 1-2mins. OBVIOUSLY the good doctor took FIVE mins!!! :krazy: She could never be like others, as if she would start now! She was just staring up at us like - 'hey guys'

Then once she was letting herself be turned over and not fighting against his fingers he took little tweezers and opened her mouth - it opened PERFECTLY well and there was NOTHING inside. :ignore (I was on flashlight duty! Pics will follow hehehe) Then he took the tweezers and looked into her little gills :heart OMG so awesome how they opened. You can see all the way to the white bones who connect to the mouth! They were both in PERFECT conditions - nice and red and perfectly symmetrical with the little filaments in perfect condition too! (it seems like the terrible water of my pre-koko days didn't harm her at all!) The only thing was that the swollen one has slightly more mucus - but he said TINY more. By then we understood that the good Doctor was messing with all of us! :rofl The only thing slightly wrong was a mini curl in the bottom of the swollen gill (talking about the outside, right near the bones of the mouth), you see that it forms a little bump/curl of bones.

Then he placed her in fresh water to wake up and took a syringe (which was previously filled with fish food/water mush) with a tiny catheter on it and squeezed it in her mouth (only about 2mm in the mouth) :) The first time he did it she spit a little out through the gills, but the 2nd time she def ate it :D I was like a radiating mommy! :heart :heart :heart He says that this way she can choose if she wants to eat or not - we are not forcing her :D I like that idea.

Then he helped her keep her balance by holding her dorsal until she started to be her normal self :) She then was just returned to her tank. :)

Plan is to just keep her in clean water with some epson for the scales. Since she has NO parasites and NO fungus then there are no meds to be used. I will try feeding her various foods the normal way over the next few days. Otherwise I will have to get her used to me feeding her via the tube every 2-3 days. :) Dr.House knows how to make her little self the center of attention!!! :whatjust:

The only 'diagnosis' is that she is possibly upset by the curl. Not opening the mouth isn't allowing her to get enough oxygen to swim/ hence the lethargy. Other option is that she remained too small that her organs are now growing into a body too small for their size. :( Only time will tell.

This is me on flashlight duty, the fish vet, and my brother sneaking a peak!

thefishdoc.jpg

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Susan. For now no change. I think it will take a while for her to relax a little and we will see! WHat a wacko! I have literally aged 30 years these past 3 days!

There is nothing wrong except the curl of the gill! It is bothering her enough that she thinks she can't eat! Cause when I fed her this morning she was racing into the food looking starved - but her mouth wouldn't come out. She still isn't using it to breathe. I think it is because the curl is right near the mouth bones - it might hurt her. Because the mouth comes out perfectly when he pulled it.

I am happy she ate when she could have decided to spit it out. :) I am also really relived that it wasn't some funky parasite that required harsh drugs and would maybe have spread in the other tanks etc!

Bizarre behavior for my bizarre fish :)

She just thought you were spending ENTIRELY too much time on that big,new tank AND those big,new fish

:rofl :rofl :rofl That's what the vet said! She is no longer satisfied with her set up and wants the 200Gal all for herself!!!!!! :bath

Oh good thing you mentioned Lola. He actually gave me the name of some natural thing (will post it later) which is naturally found in lakes and turns the water brown and helps with sensitive slime/ against fungus etc. Will try it :D

edit:

name: Humic Acid.

For this, expect to lose more fish, but bring it under control with SupaVerm, Salt and Medicated food.

If you discover that Flukes are the actual trouble, consider their clearance using either Fluke Tabs or SupaVerm.

What do you guys think???

I think you should go read what they have to say at doc Johnsons where they sell the supraverm too. It will KILL all goldfish dead in 10 days after treatment. So I think that who wrote this is either misquoted, or means only koi or is maybe not knowing what he is talking about.(I can not confirm this as I have never administered this drug to any fish)

here is link to article ref. http://www.koivet.com/a_supaverm_closantel_mebendazole_flukes_koi.html

What a little nut!!! :rofl She just wants all your attention doesn't she? ;) I was so glad to read that she has nothing serious tho. Hopefully whatever is causing her to keep her mouth closed will heal and she'll be back to normal soon. :heart

Thanx Edith! It was cool to be able to look into her little mouth and gills tho :) I am happy the vet did a good job :angelstaf: Proves that medicating isn't always a good idea :)

wow! Dr House is an amazingly tough little fish. I hope she's eating normally again soon.

You look so nervous holding that flashlight, but you did an amazing job!

I was sooo stressed! I kept telling him 'can we put her in the fresh water yet?', 'are we done yet'? :rofl

She seems a little bit more energetic now - she scurried around the tank a bit before.