Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Dr.house's Mouth Is Locked Shut!

I swear, this fish will be the end of me! :krazy:

After the wacko gill, she now has managed to lock her mouth shut!

This happened last night, I think from eating krill. :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: It now looks like her bottom lip/jaw is locked into the upper one - like a vacuum. She seems to be able to breathe perfectly fine like this - but she cannot eat. I tried feeding her and she races over to the food but the mouth wont open.

So I need to 'operate'. Any ideas how I can unlock a TINY mouth of a TINY fish! This is ridiculous!

I was thinking of placing her in shallow water in a bowl and trying to open the little mouth with a toothpick - too dangerous???

Edit: she is breathing and swimming around fine. So I am wondering if maybe I should wait and see? She has such a tiny mouth I am afraid to hurt her.

You know those toothpicks that have one blunt end? You should try the blunt end rather than the pointy one. Otherwise, if you can get your hand on a small plastic syringe, sometimes the end of the syringe is the right size to fit in their mouths. I'm thinking maybe you should leave her be for a day or two though to see if it will work itself out before you try anything. Also I'm wondering if it might just snap back this way even if you manage to get it back to normal. When Peach's mouth collapsed in on itself, I used a small syringe to get it back to normal, but it just snapped back into the collapsed position immediately. :( Luckily with her it was still open enough so she could get small pieces of food.

It doesn't look like Peace's did. It is like it has been vacuumed shut - I think that with a larger piece of krill she must have done a wrong movement? hmmm...

She is moving the mouth for the breathing but the bottom lip doesn't unseal from the top.

I also think I will wait for now - unless I come up with a good plan. I don't have the rounded toothpicks unfortunately. I would need something really thin to go in and 'depressurize' the mouth.... oh boy... :doh11:

Maybe you can just cut the end off of a toothpick and then kind of sand it down with something. That way it won't be sharp. But I still think you should wait a day or two and see if it resolves itself.

I will wait :) Unless she starts to look unhappy. Adding 0.1 salt to help her breathe.

WHat a nuthead!

Oh my Gosh this sounds horrable :( Sorry I cant offer any advise :( I hope it worksout soon :) keep us posted please...

Oh my Gosh this sounds horrable :( Sorry I cant offer any advise :( I hope it worksout soon :) keep us posted please...

^ Same here, I can't offer any advise/tips, but I do hope Dr.House's mouth gets, uh, opened! :)

thanx Shell :)

I hope this resolves itself! I have no idea how I would fix it. I don't know how delicate the bones in the mouth are. I am pretty good with my hands, but if she jerks while I have something in her mouth I think that could do some damage. :(

Thanx Dawn! Yea, everyone hope for a mouth devacuuming!!!

ooh i hope dr house ggets her mouth to open soon, sorry but i cant be of any more help x

Hello again. XD

I wonder if this topic might help you... :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/74326-fish-unable-to-open-mouth/

I'm not sure as the guy with this problem might have had bad water quality and such.

Once again, good luck to you and Dr House! :)

ETA: Googled 'what to do if your goldfish's mouth is clamped shut' lol.

Edited by Dawn

the poor little thing. I hope she gets better soon. :heart

Goldfish are a danger for themselves, That is why I only give soft foods ;)

will a cotton swab "qt" fit in mouth ? it can also be cut down a little.

No the cotton swab is about as big as her mouth when she opens it usually. So it wouldn't fit in the crease to pry the mouth open :(

She is still swimming happy - mouth shut.

Can anyone enlighten me how they can breathe with their mouth closed???

That is very strange, I've heard of this happening before in cichlids sometimes. :( I know what you mean by the vacuumed position, Zelda's mouth is stuck downward like that a little but but she can open it. Are there any koi people or any vets in your area if it doesn't improve?

There is a koi vet - the one who came to do the scrapes. But he seems to be a bit of a PEEP after when I have heard from Koi experts :(

How is it fixed in cichlids?

Uh oh. :( Any friends you can call at all? That's a shame!

Usually the fish get their mouth's stuck in an open position apparently, sometimes they leave the fish alone and it rectifies itself, but I worry about Dr. House since it's closed. I'd try the toothpick like Sakura said just to be careful, and maybe anesthetize her?

I will wait until tomorrow and see. I am afraid to maybe snap a bone or something. I don't know how to anesthetize - and it is risky on such a small fish :( Luckily she is pretty hand tame.

Pulling for Dr. House and sending calming vibes your way Federica!

This does happen with cichlids and is usually caused by flukes. It happened with one of my angels. I freaked out and netted her. The net caused her to "flinch" and her mouth popped back into place. I don't know if you have tried that yet though. Hope she gets better.

still no change. I am getting a little nervous.

What if I use a Q-Tip and gently push the top lip up? Would the bottom one then get released? This way seems a little easier than having to go in through the crease and pry the under lip out...

thanx Ashlee. I tried lifting her out this morning and holding her head down - no change. :(

she has had so much prazi - I don't think she could still have flukes.

Try not to be too nervous. When I did this with Peach's mouth she wasn't hurt at all. I think they are a lot tougher than we think ;) I think the sanded down toothpick is the way to go. But certainly you could try pushing on the top lip first and see if that works.

I will give it a better look. Because looking closely you see the 2 bones on the 'nose' area as the top lip seems to be out already. So I am not sure I can push it up anymore. It seems that the top lip was out whilst the under closed and the top closed over it.... I have to check.... I tried making her WANT to open it with food but it doesn't work :'(

Edit: yea so she is still swimming around totally fine. My boyfriend wants to wait and see if she can fix it herself. :( I feel so bad for her tho.

Hey,doesn't epsom have a relaxing effect on them? I wonder if that might help her to 'unclamp'? Or what about very gently massaging/lightly squeezing the sides of her mouth to see if you can get it open?