Very Nice Fish At Pet Store

Guest jayhawks

Guest jayhawks

its too bad that i can't buy him right away. he looks so nice that i had to take pictures of him. according to the store the tank label reads "assorted fancy goldfish" i think he is a lionhead or a fantail of sorts.

IMG_0449.jpg?t=1293157066

Guest jayhawks

Looks like it's in a pet$mart? Beautiful fish! My local pet$mart had a lemonhead oranda recently, but it was nowhere near as nice (or it would have been snatched! ;) )

thats exactly correct.. thats where he is. sadly, they don't take very good care of the large goldfish as they move them around the tropical tanks to have them eat snails. they are handled alot. (poor fish)

i dont have a tank quite yet (hoping for one this christmas) and was going to only have him in there since he is about 5 inches long. but i must get some cheap fantails or comets to speed the cycling process. hopefully he doesn't sell since he is 28 dollars and i can get him about a week or so after the purchase of the cheapies.

Guest jayhawks

Wow, he's gorgeous! Does your local store usually carry that quality and size?

BuggyBear...yes they do. but its very sad how they treat the poor fish. i am in the process of finding someone with a fish tank who would be willing to house him for awhile until my tank is cycled (if i get one) here's why:

1. my local pet$mart here has a terrible staff. they handle the large fancy goldfish (like he is) and use them as scavengers in the tropical tanks to eat snails. i notice smaller fish such as guppies, mollies and danios pick on the poor fish's tail all the time.

2. he arrived at the store in their latest shipment (wednesday) he was in a section all by himself in the warmer waters being used as a sail scavenger. although there were no other fish in there with him, the water temperature is pretty high for a goldfish.

3. i asked if the manager of the store was on duty. they asked why i wanted to talk to him/her. i said that i wanted to buy the fish and put it on hold until my tank is set up. they said no. they don't hold any living creatures. i offered to pay the 28 dollars cash right then and there.

4. nobody knows what will happen to him if i don't get him. my store is notoriously known for selling snall orandas, ryukins and fantails as feed for reptiles, other fish, etc... they don't care about the fish's life, they just want the money.

if you know anyone who lives in the west side of madison, wisconsin who has an established aquarium, let me know. i was going to ask them if they could house the fish for awhile while my tank cycles. i will pay for this.

WHat a doll!

It is horrible they use them as snail vacuums!

As for the Zeolite - I do indeed use it in my QT/temporary tubs. All my large ryukins have been in a tub with it since about 5months until I set up their 200Gal. It works very well, you just have to make sure you change and recharge it often so it doesn't leak the ammonia back in the water. The only setback is that you cannot use it with salt or any meds as the salt reverses its effect (how you recharge it) and it absorbs part of the meds.

Good luck!

Well what I do is just take a small bucket and put about 2-3% salt in there. Then I just dump the zeolite in and let it soak overnight. Sometimes the water already smells after a few hrs so I just take out the zeolite - rinse it in warm water and put some fresh salty water in the bucket. Depending on how long it has been used - the smells is more or less intense.

Usually I recharge it every 2 days. I did make a test once and it lasted 2 weeks without leaking any ammonia. Not sure what the maximum time is.

It says this can be done for about 6months. I however change it more often.

Guest jayhawks

it is indeed sad how they treat the large goldfish. the small/medium ones are all together. for a 28 dollar fish, he should be healthy and they should put him on hold, but its horrid and i mean just horrid customer service.

I've been reading some of the other posts by you and I can't hold it in any longer. BUY THE FISH :) You have been given lots of good advice so far and I think you will make a great goldfish owner .

I too say get him. You can use zeolite to keep the ammonia under control. Or extra water changes. Or both. Just keep testing the water so the ammonia doesn't go up high, that surely is better for the fish than ending up as reptile food and being moved back and forth from cold to warm water. I am sure you can give him a better live during CYCLING than the petstore does in the established tanks.

And we are all here for you to help and give you tips and ideas to make sure everything will be alright :)

Guest jayhawks

i just set up a tub with water and the topfin 30 filter that was included with the starter kit. since i will be getting a more powerful filter for the tank, the topfin does 150 gph.