Help! Need Home For Large Koi From Government Building In Toronto

daust

Hi,

I work at Scarborough Civic Centre in Toronto which contains quite a large indoor koi pond. I have kept fish of one sort or another for almost 25 years so I can recognize most diseases fish can acquire. One of the koi, which is probably at least 15 inches long, has pretty severe fin rot. I have spoken to the building supervisor regarding this and I contacted the metro Toronto zoo fish curator to come and assess the fish. She suggested quarantine and treatment to the building supervisor who told her that he doesn't have quarantine facilities for these fish nor does he have staff that are knowledgeable regarding treatment. The only other option suggested by the Toronto zoo expert was to euthanize the fish to stop the spread of the disease to other fish. This comes to my request. I have spoken to the building supervisor and have asked him if he would be open to the idea of someone taking this fish for treatment instead of euthanizing it. He seemed quite happy with the suggestion. Ofcourse whoever takes the fish would also be it's new owner! Please let me know if there is anyone among you willing to take this poor fish. It would be a nice Christmas present for him! Other than the fin rot, he looks very healthy, is active and is eating.

Please let me know asap! You can call me at (416) 396-8136 or email me at adaust@gtamail.com.

Thanks, Angela

Hopefully you find someone to care for the koi. It was very good of you to take the initiative to look out for this fish :hi5

Fin rot could be caused by poor water quality or improper diet. Maybe they should have the water tested to make sure everything is okay there or they might lose them all. It is in my opinion that if you are keeping koi and don't have the knowledge or facilities to care for these fish if they get sick then you shouldnt have them at all. Not too get all self righteous but just my opinion.

How long have they been keeping koi?

Hi,

This pond has been here since the building was built in the 1970's. I was surprised when I found out that they don't have a fish expert on staff! The lady from the zoo tested the water and told them what to do to correct it (a good pond cleaning I suspect! Probably high ammonia). I suggested they feed all of the fish some antibiotic food for a couple of weeks but I doubt they will. Sad state but I only work here, I don't have the authority to implement things regarding facility maintenance. If you know anyone up in this neck of the woods that would take this koi, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Angela

Its really to bad they don't have the ability to care for them when they get sick. If they have been keeping them since the 70s you would think they would have experience treating them. I am surprised as well they don't have someone who can treat them when needed.

Too bad you couldn't take that koi. I don't know the minimum requirements to quarantine a koi. Koi from what I know live about 60 years it would be a shame for this koi to be put down for such a treatable condition.

Maybe there is a local koi society or club?

Funny you should mention that! I did send this request to two local koi societies and I got 3 responses. Two said they were trying to find someone who had a quarantine tank large enough and were going to get back to me and one said he already had someone with a quarantine tank ready to take it. He'll be coming by to catch the koi next week! A happy ending! Thanks everyone. :thanks

Angela