Feeder Fish Other Than Goldfish?

Over 3 years ago, I built some ponds in my backyard to experiment with water gardening. In an effort to keep mosquitoes under control I purchased a number of "Feeder" goldfish from the LFS to place in them .....

Having had aquariums many times throughout my life ... goldfish were way down on my list of desirable fish ..... very early on I found that goldfish are a very endearing and facinating fish .. now the water gardening is secondary and the fish are my primary focus!!!!because the fish I purchased were "feeder fish" and they have turned out to be so dear to me ... It started to make me wonder if there might be a better

"Feeder fish" out there in the world ... one that cannot be so easiley keep by us Aquarium Enthusiasts ... one that maybe, due to it's adult size, prohibits it from being kept by aquaium enthusiests .... Shad come to mind to me!! There has to be others ... has this subject been discussed on this forum in the past? ... as you all know .... I am a newbee .... !!! There is a fish called Gambusia Punchata (sp) that is sort of like a Guppy ... but not really very colorfull or interestesting that could be another .... I am starting to believe that Goldfish need more support! if you know what I mean ...... I would be interested in hearing from you all ..... on this subject .... the Oregonian Newpaper had an artical last week about "Goldfish Racing" that , frankly , made me sick!!!! apparrently it is catching on in Bars across the country .... really bad stuff ......

washingtongoldfish

tom

A lot of people use rosy red minnows as feeders, otherwise known as fathead minnows. Pet/smart sells them for 13 cents each. I like them just to keep as pets myself and currently have a small school of them in with my new "feeder" gf. They both have the same requirements as far as feeding and water temp, etc. and get along fine together. If the gf were bigger they may try to eat some of the smaller rosies though, I suppose! By the way my new feeders also came from Pet/smart for 28 cents each and they are dropdead gorgeous comets with huge fins--can't believe such beautiful fish being sold as nothing more than "lunch" to some other predator. :o The sales people there did tell me that many of the feeders are sold as pond fish however and I think that's true. I know those guppies you're talking about--they are just a drab grey and are referred to as "mosquito fish". I heard they are quite the fin nippers if housed with other fish but I don't know firsthand. And yes, they are used as feeders also. Goldfish racing was discussed awhile ago and it is very sickening--nothing a few drinks can't cure, right?? It's just plain stupid. :doh11: Goldies definitely need more support as they are indeed a wonderful and endearing fish. Glad to hear you are so attached to yours--it's easy to get that way. :heart

Welcome to Koko's from another Pacific NW person--I live about 1/2 hour from Portland--not all that far from you. :)

A lot of people use rosy red minnows as feeders, otherwise known as fathead minnows. Pet/smart sells them for 13 cents each. I like them just to keep as pets myself and currently have a small school of them in with my new "feeder" gf. They both have the same requirements as far as feeding and water temp, etc. and get along fine together. If the gf were bigger they may try to eat some of the smaller rosies though, I suppose! By the way my new feeders also came from Pet/smart for 28 cents each and they are dropdead gorgeous comets with huge fins--can't believe such beautiful fish being sold as nothing more than "lunch" to some other predator. :o The sales people there did tell me that many of the feeders are sold as pond fish however and I think that's true. I know those guppies you're talking about--they are just a drab grey and are referred to as "mosquito fish". I heard they are quite the fin nippers if housed with other fish but I don't know firsthand. And yes, they are used as feeders also. Goldfish racing was discussed awhile ago and it is very sickening--nothing a few drinks can't cure, right?? It's just plain stupid. :doh11: Goldies definitely need more support as they are indeed a wonderful and endearing fish. Glad to hear you are so attached to yours--it's easy to get that way. :heart

Welcome to Koko's from another Pacific NW person--I live about 1/2 hour from Portland--not all that far from you. :)

As I mentioned .. I had a very dim view of GF untill recently ... my viewpoint has changed sooo much !!! when I was a kid there were alot of small baby fish I caught in streams and back waters that would not be good as an aquarium fish or even a pond fish but would be very good as a "feeder fish" ... I wish the powers that be would consider them before Goldfish! As a 60 yr old enthusiest ... I may make that a focus of my retirement ... who know's ... maybe I could make some money out of that and save the goldfish in the process .... thanks so much for responding ... !!! my 12 cent goldfish are so important to me and all you good folks are Kokos have really helped my save my 3 year olds .... thanks again ....

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g376/backyard11/

Tom

I will look up flathead minnows but do not believe I have seen them anywhere in Longview .... either at nnnn or the other local fish store .... too bad .... At times I wish I would not have started this

"Water garden" hobby as I am now so inammorred (sp) with goldfish that I do not want to see them at "carnivals" or Bar fish races ... or as feeder fish ..... my fish have personalities! .. my two fish never leave each others side and they know me from my "eye glasses" ... they go crazy when then see me ... wanting food etc ...they are so animated! ....again .. thanks Kristi ... do you have any pics of your fish ?

Tom

Oh yes, I have many pix of my fish! Here's a sneak preview of the 2 new comets as I haven't formally introduced them here yet--the small pink fish is a rosy red minnow--

HPIM9742.jpg

HPIM9744.jpg

Here's what looks like a common/comet cross--he's in another tank and I've had him for almost a year now--

HPIM9546.jpg

And here are my 2 fancies--also fairly new--they are a bit thin and I'm trying to fatten them up some--

HPIM9768.jpg

Here is a link to the best site on rosy reds/fatheads if you'd like more information--

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm

I have had many other gf over the years but these are my latest babies. They really are addictive! I went for awhile with just tropical fish and I love them too. But, I started to miss having goldies around and when I finally got a couple more then my fishy world felt complete. So, I know exactly how you feel about your gf! I don't know what else could be used as feeders but here is another website you may find interesting--they sell many different kinds of native freshwater fish including lots of minnows, shiners, darters, etc. and also the mosquito fish. You could get some breeding pairs and raise your own feeder type fish if that's your inclination. But don't be surprised if you get attached to them also!! :D

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/fwverts.html

Edited by Kristi

Your post was very very hard to read. So I am taking a guess at what you are asking. No I don't think there are any fish that no one keeps at a pet that can be a feeder fish.

And to be honest feeder fish are a very bad idea anyways. They still need to be QT'd. Most people that feel they have fish that need to eat other fish (I am sure there are a few monster fish like that but nothing I have ever seen in a pet shop needs feeder fish.) Keep breeder tanks and raise their own.

Your post was very very hard to read. So I am taking a guess at what you are asking. No I don't think there are any fish that no one keeps at a pet that can be a feeder fish.

And to be honest feeder fish are a very bad idea anyways. They still need to be QT'd. Most people that feel they have fish that need to eat other fish (I am sure there are a few monster fish like that but nothing I have ever seen in a pet shop needs feeder fish.) Keep breeder tanks and raise their own.

Sorry about my post! ... ... the "Just" of what I was trying to say was ....I wish the "Petshop" world would come up with a coldwater "food fish" other than Goldfish to use as "feeder fish"!!!!! Because goldfish have been bred over time as "Pets" not to feed large South American tropical fish! I can think of other fish to use such as Shad etc!!! ... am I making any sense now?

washingtongoldfish tom

Oh yes, I have many pix of my fish! Here's a sneak preview of the 2 new comets as I haven't formally introduced them here yet--the small pink fish is a rosy red minnow--

HPIM9742.jpg

HPIM9744.jpg

Here's what looks like a common/comet cross--he's in another tank and I've had him for almost a year now--

HPIM9546.jpg

And here are my 2 fancies--also fairly new--they are a bit thin and I'm trying to fatten them up some--

HPIM9768.jpg

Here is a link to the best site on rosy reds/fatheads if you'd like more information--

I have had many other gf over the years but these are my latest babies. They really are addictive! I went for awhile with just tropical fish and I love them too. But, I started to miss having goldies around and when I finally got a couple more then my fishy world felt complete. So, I know exactly how you feel about your gf! I don't know what else could be used as feeders but here is another website you may find interesting--they sell many different kinds of native freshwater fish including lots of minnows, shiners, darters, etc. and also the mosquito fish. You could get some breeding pairs and raise your own feeder type fish if that's your inclination. But don't be surprised if you get attached to them also!! :D

Kristi! thanks for responding ... WOW! look at the fins on two of your Comets! .... I am really interested in what they may look like in a year or two! ..... My two babies did not have fins even close to that!!!!!

Awesome! Merry Christmas , Happy Holidays and happy New years!!!

Tom

Other fish you could try besides the typical fish sold as feeder could be so called "pan fish". Pumkinseeds and others might work out. I say might because I don't know enough about them, I do know some people keep them as pond fish.

HPIM9742.jpg

HPIM9744.jpg

HPIM9546.jpg

HPIM9768.jpg

Kristi! thanks for responding ... WOW! look at the fins on two of your Comets! .... I am really interested in what they may look like in a year or two! ..... My two babies did not have fins even close to that!!!!!

Awesome! Merry Christmas , Happy Holidays and happy New years!!!

Tom

Thanks! I thought wow too when I saw those guys. There were more similar to these in the feeder tanks but I really don't even have room for what I got here. My bf says he will make me a patio pond this spring so hopefully the comets will be ok in my 40 gal until then.

I took a look at your link to your gardens and fish--beautiful! Whatever you are doing, keep it up. The fish are so cute--no wonder you fell in love with them--they are very fortunate to be in the care of someone who can truly appreciate their better qualities. :) Merry Christmas!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a breeding pir of convict cichlids ( Not that hard to get lol) and they breed like crazy. They prefer a heater but i keep mine at room temp and they give an endless suppily of fry. I am really shocked that this is not the feeder fish of choice and the goldfish is. Convicts practically spawn in the bag on the way home from the LFS hehe