Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel

I almost stepped and slipped over a little flyer at the checkout today when I got Lily. Pet$mart is gonna have an "amazing aquatics event" starting in a few days. What especially got my attention was the 20% off all Marineland powerfilters. I checked their website to see what they got. Thinking about getting the Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel 350, which costs regular 49.99.

Is that one any good? Is it QUIET??

Also, would 350gph be too much in my 20g tank? Can you adjust the flow rate if needed?

So far I really love my Whisper EX70's that I got, and they ARE quiet, but the Penguin is gonna be cheaper.

I believe Koko uses the Penguin Bio Wheel filters and she's used them for quite a while and recommends them highly. ;)

I know others have spoken highly about them as well...they are a good filter.

I have that filter on my 40 gallon (not quite 10x, I know.. :( ) Anyway, I have not had any problems with it whatsoever. The filter itself is quiet, but the splashing water can get irritating if the water level is too low. This can be fixed by making sure the level is high enough, and adjusting as necessary when the water begins to evaporate. Not too big a deal. I sleep very well with it in my bedroom :) (I am a heavy sleeper though ;) )

As far as if it is too much for a 20 gallon, I'm not sure... the current produced is pretty strong. And, as there are 2 outlets for water to flow out of, the current takes up a lot of space on the surface of the water (I hope that makes sense?). Also, you cannot adjust the flow rate, but you can adjust the length of the intake tube (a connector is included) as well as the "valve" covering another straining portion of the tube higher up if you want water to flow through there, too.

Hope this helped! :D

check a thread i have about filters or soemthing. ex70 vs bio wheels .. TONS of responses, heck, i think you may be in it as well .

a lot of people use both,

long story short,

ex70 is quiet, but messy if you move any of the cartridges. they have more GPH than the bio wheel. biowheel is a LOTTTTT better for BBs to live in, but apparently its louder. though people at my LFS dont agreee with that. they prefer the biowheel any day over the ex70 though apparently. also, the biowheel and ex70 seem to be good built, but also have their bad history.

non have flow control though i can for sure tell you that. biowheels have more space i believe for media. price should be roughly the same.

they are on par with pros and cons. the gph for a 20 gall.. they would support a 55 gallon, but their flow isnt like, tidal wave like, as they have breakers i believe.

so in other words, you would be fine with both, if noise isnt an issue, go with the biowheel. you can always try and if you dont like it. replace it.

ORRRR

check this out

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Filters_Canister-Filters_Rapids-Mini-Canister-C-80_9902081_82.html?tc=fish

pretty cool !

but yes , if anything give the biowheel a test run noise wise, but aside from that i would say it out performs the ex70 because , yes its less gph, you do have a 20 gall anyways, and it contains the BB a lot better, gives more space for custom filter media , so i have heard. if you want more GPH and less noise then the whisper, but then you lack in better BB containment.

Hands down Penguins are better than Wisper ex in terms of quality and maintence. My Penguin worked well for me but the biowheel drove me nuts. It would stop spinning altogether quite often, I was constantly fiddling with it. It is a rather noisy filter in my opinion as well, you can hear the constant trickling of water all the time. I switched to Aqua Clear last year and I will never go back. There has been many debates on these filters here before both with great points from all sides. If its on sale I would say buy it, try it out, see what you think. You might get hooked on them like many others.

I have that filter on my 40 gallon (not quite 10x, I know.. :( ) Anyway, I have not had any problems with it whatsoever. The filter itself is quiet, but the splashing water can get irritating if the water level is too low. This can be fixed by making sure the level is high enough, and adjusting as necessary when the water begins to evaporate. Not too big a deal. I sleep very well with it in my bedroom :) (I am a heavy sleeper though ;) )

As far as if it is too much for a 20 gallon, I'm not sure... the current produced is pretty strong. And, as there are 2 outlets for water to flow out of, the current takes up a lot of space on the surface of the water (I hope that makes sense?). Also, you cannot adjust the flow rate, but you can adjust the length of the intake tube (a connector is included) as well as the "valve" covering another straining portion of the tube higher up if you want water to flow through there, too.

Hope this helped! :D

Everything she said here is absolutely true, this was going to be my exact reply if I had not read this first. :D I have the exact same filter only mine is a tad old(given from a friend). I must say the filter works great, always leaves my water clear. When your water is up at the bottom of the filter it is perfectly quiet. Sometimes it gets loud, like I hear the little magnet thing spinning and rubbing against the plastic but I leave that to being because it is old. Plenty of room for media there as well. I find it to be a pretty good filter but at the same time its the only kind I have ever used so my opinion is a little biased. :P

I see. This topic really didn't help me at ALL LMAO

But from the description the Penguin 350 has 10gph more than the Whisper EX70. My main concern is the motor noise. Water trickling won't be a problem as I fill my goldfish tanks almost to the rim. But if the filter itself is rattling, it drives me insane.

I know that the EX70 rattles slightly the first few weeks until a little slime coat builds up on the magnet and propeller, then it is very very quiet.

And about the current, both fish are telescopes with big flowy fins, and in a 20g I wonder if this would be too much movement for them. Maybe I should just get a filter with around 200gph instead of 350, that should be sufficient for a 20g tank. My main reason for getting a stronger filter is my want for a future upgrade to a 125g tank where I could use this new filter too to get as close to the 10x as possible.

Ah, we'll just see. :D

Maybe I'll go with a smaller one so it doesn't bother the two babies. :)

I would say that filter would have to much power for your 20 gallon. From what I remember that filter has two outflows and is quite wide. I don't think your babies would have a place to rest. You would be better off with a smaller filter for now as you said.

I see. This topic really didn't help me at ALL LMAO

But from the description the Penguin 350 has 10gph more than the Whisper EX70. My main concern is the motor noise. Water trickling won't be a problem as I fill my goldfish tanks almost to the rim. But if the filter itself is rattling, it drives me insane.

I know that the EX70 rattles slightly the first few weeks until a little slime coat builds up on the magnet and propeller, then it is very very quiet.

And about the current, both fish are telescopes with big flowy fins, and in a 20g I wonder if this would be too much movement for them. Maybe I should just get a filter with around 200gph instead of 350, that should be sufficient for a 20g tank. My main reason for getting a stronger filter is my want for a future upgrade to a 125g tank where I could use this new filter too to get as close to the 10x as possible.

Ah, we'll just see. :D

Maybe I'll go with a smaller one so it doesn't bother the two babies. :)

haha sorry XD its just that these two filters give off such a great debate!

what other ones to you have in mind? and it would be good to have one that would work later in 125g. so i dunno up to you

Until recently, I had the 350 in my 20 gallon tank. It worked very very well. The current wasn't too much, and it didn't make that much noise other than the splashing water, which I found to be soothing. There wasn't a way to adjust flow rate. However, I highly recommend this filter.

I am now using the Marineland 350 + another (stronger) filter in my 55gal and so far so good! :)

• Admin

The only time my motor gets noisy is if I dont set it in right or i get floss or plant roots wrapped around the propeller. Other than that and the BioWheels splash noise its quiet to me :) I love the two i have and one is now about 5 years old :o