Sign in to follow this  
CatfishSoup

Otto Cat + Killifish

i bought 2 otto cats because i have a hair algae issue and those are really my only soultion. Siamese or siemensis, or whtatever they are called would eat my beard algae, but my lfs doesnt have any. but for my hair algae, they only had otto cats.

so i got 2 for like 6 bucks to test out how they go. three days later, found one stuck in the intake pipe dead, and the other one is missing :S i looked everywhere but no luck. so now i am assuming..

KILLIFISH !

i own 2 , pretty much fully grown killifish, male and female combo and last time i bought small fish, BAM, eaten, but flower shrimp.. those dissapeared, so did my small vampire shrimp, and so did my algae eating shrimp. and now i have a feeling, that they have eaten at least one of the almost fully grown otto cats. :( i bought a red clawed shrimp btw. its HUGE almost the size of a killifish, so he should survive hopefully.

anyways do you think they ate the one otto cat? they arent really fast swimmers especially after it getting stuck from the intake flow. so now what? i need to get rid of hair algae, one curious fish got stuck and died, the other , dissapered, and i have a hair algae problem and i dont want to use chemicals...

D:

ideas?

i also need a quick reply because my lfs has a return policy for dead fish within the first 5 days of purchase. it has been 2-3 already so i need to know if its worth going back and getting more, or just not waste more money.

I don't think the Killifish would eat the Otto's. I had the 2 mixed in a tropical tank before and never had any issues.

Sorry about your ottos :(

I dont know anything about ottos, or Killfish for that matter, but after reading Sakura's thread (in this section) about her new ottos, I hear they are VERY difficult to keep alive (Im assuming they're the same fish you're talking about?? :undecided: )

Edited by Migaloo

Sorry about your ottos :(

I dont know anything about ottos, or Killfish for that matter, but after reading Sakura's thread (in this section) about her new ottos, I hear they are VERY difficult to keep alive (Im assuming they're the same fish you're talking about?? :undecided: )

i havent seen her thread.. or maybe i have im going to check. but i have heard that for the first month they are hard to keep because of their stress of shipping and what not, but if they can last a month then they are hardy fish. ... though i dunno about hardy enough to go against my filter it seems :P

Yes, otos are very sensitive to changes in water quality, temperature etc. I doubt it was the other fish.

Yes, otos are very sensitive to changes in water quality, temperature etc. I doubt it was the other fish.

well issue is. if the last of the two is dead.. i cant find it.. not good D:

on boxing day/week my lfs will have really good discounts on live stock, and otto cats are the only ones that eat hair algae. would it be worth buying a group of em?

Well I guess if you dont buy them, someone else will... ;)

Good luck with them if you decide to get a few! :)

Did you ever find the missing one?

Well I guess if you dont buy them, someone else will... ;)

Good luck with them if you decide to get a few! :)

Did you ever find the missing one?

im going to return the dead one, and depending whos there, i shall either get it replaced, or get a full credit.

as for the missing one.. nope. D: i cant find it. you would be surprised how many shrimp i have lost and 2 ruby sharks which disappeared. literally like this, never saw them again.

I never had any trouble keeping Otto's, if I remember corecttly they do need a higher PH than some tropicals.

Otos will not eat hair algae. Stick with the siamese algae eater. Learn to ID the differences between them and chinese algae eaters because pet stores usually can't.

What kind of killies?. If you have a predatory species such as golden wonder...maybe they did eat your other fish. Are the killies looking like tiny pikes?.