Google Near The End

jody

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

7.0 (Use PH stabalizer and crushed coral to maintain 7.6)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Hagen, API - drops

[*]Water temperature?

76F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

27 gallon running two years or so, cycled

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

2 AQ 50 (400gph)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

Usually change 80% weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

2 Telescopes - 4 -5 inches (Peepers) and 5-6 inches (Google)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Prime, Nutrifin PH stabalizer

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

Feed twice a day, fast once a week. Feed gel food, pellets, peas and frozen brine shrimp/blood worms.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

No

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

maracyn 2

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

pineconed

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

On bottom, on her side, twitching gasping for air.

This is the end for poor google. She is suffering from dropsy and it is really bad now. I think I am just going to hunt down some clove oil

Did you end up adding the Maracyn to the water or not?

I would wait with the Clove oil if she is eating?

Did you start her on the MMs?

Did you PM Imo? I am not sure if you should try epson salt, normal salt at 0.3% for parasites or Prazi???

Do you have a picture of the pineconing? Is it located all over the body? Or just mostly behind the gills?

I put her to sleep. I know in my heart it was the right thing to do. She was pineconed all over and suffering, she was kinked to one side and gasping and sometimes twitching. I think she a little white around her gills and some of the scales on one side were kind of white edges as well. Part of me thinks did I do the right thing. it was so hard to do. You know all these things going through my head but I couldnt watch her suffer.

Do you have another thread on Google I can read up on? I've dealt with dropsy a few times, mostly with success and epsom salt and heat really make a difference. Your nitrates are a shade high for a dropsied fish, is that from your tapwater or can you get it lower by doing more frequent water changes? I recommend you quarentine her if you haven't already and try the epsom salt if that's not been given a go. Some of the maracyn meds can be quite harsh and they're not really recommended as a first port of call (no meds but salt and epsom are). If she's been like this a while and is still eating you could try metromeds but I really recommend trying epsom and slowly warming a QT tank to 80'F first. I've had a lot of success with that method.

EDIT: Just saw your newest post, I'm really sorry :( C-curving is never a good sign and it does sound like it was her time :(:hug

Edited by devilduck

Jody I'm so sorry for your lost. :cry1 It is a very hard thing you had to do but you did it to end her suffering. She was lucky to have you to care for her. :hug:heart

RIP Beautiful Google.

Thanks for all your kind words :)

I am feeling a bit better now.

I will post an obituary later on and update Peepers status later as well, he is doing well, eating the MM.

Google was two years old, I had her since December 2008

I am so sorry about Google. She was one of my two favorite telescopes on here. May she RIP. You made the right decision for her. She's probably thanking you too in fishy heaven. May the pretty little lady RIP.

Thank you all :) It is so nice to hear your words :heart Only the Koko nuts know what I am going through, well my wife as well. It's kind of hard to tell people at work that you are upset because you had to put a goldfish to sleep. But you all are so kind, Thanks again :)

And I am happy to hear Google was a favorite :D