Krill Stuck In Mouth

jody

Sorry about not filling in all the required info for this section but I feel it will not help in this situatuion.

I thought I would try some frozen krill for my little guys. I never fed this stuff before and I was quite surprised how big they were, they look like little shrimp with eyes. I cut them up in bite size pieces and fed them. Well it took Google like 10 minutes to chew them down and I am afraid Peepers got one stuck in his mouth. He struggled with it for a couple hours until I went to bed and I figured it would be out by morning. Well 14 hours later and he is still trying to get it out.

He has a really tiny mouth. Any tweezers I have are too big to get in there. Poor little guy is being treated for dropsy at the moment and I feel really bad for him. I hate to pick him up and try to get this thing out. I guess I could get some stress coat and some tiny tweezers from the store maybe.

:help:

Aww poor baby! when mine get something stuck in their mouth I lift them up out of the water for a second or two and they usually spit out whatever they have in there. :undecided:

well 14 hours is kind of long. You sure he still got it stuck in his mouth? Pick him up carefully and try to look in his mouth. I can't think of anything else but that. Sometimes they manage to get rid of stuff stuck in their mouth when you take them out of the water for a few seconds. Other than that I can only think of trying to get tiny tweezers. :(

I just picked him up gently and he didnt spit it out. I lifted him out for a few seconds a couple of times and he doesnt really open his mouth much. How would I even open his mouth to get the tweezers in there? I would'nt want to squeeze his cheeks. I had a look inside (he has such a tiny mouth) and I can see something in there. He is struggling to get it out.

edit: just tried surfacing him a few more times, he tried to spit it out once but it didn come out. I'll try some more later

I have no personal experience with something like this, but if he doesn't choke. I wonder if the piece will be digested enough to eventually go down on its own?

With the tweezers, I'd just gently "force" them in through his lips. In the worst case I wonder if a light dose of clove oil as anesthetic would be a good idea to keep him limp while you carefully try to get it out with tweezers.

Can you pick him up using a small container that restricts his movement? That would be a little less stressful.

If someone could help you, you could get them to gently pry his mouth open with the bigger tweezers, then use smaller ones to get the food out yourself.

Poor little guy. When you took him out of the water did you keep him head down so that the krill could sort of fall out? Did you feed them anything else this morning? And if you did, did he try to eat anything else? I'm thinking if he tried eating something else it might dislodge the krill? But I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do since I've never seen this before. 14 hours is a long time to be stuck like that. :undecided:

Crissy: I can do that yes. We are working with like a 5mm mouth (it really is tiny). I do have to go into work in an hour for an evening shift and I can try to get some tiny tweezers at the drug store on my way. I guess after this much time it really is coming down to the tweezers, huh?

Edith I was thinking of feeding something else too but not sure. I'll try pointing him down.

Your concerns are well appreciated, thanks guys!! :)

I just got home from work, picked up some pointy tweezers at the drug store, although I don't think I need them. I picked him up out of the water and he opened his mouth wide and I didnt see anything. Unless it went down further. He seems like he is still gulping but maybe because he doesnt feel good with dropsy.

I got my Metro meds so I think I will feed them soon.

Well I kind of jumped the gun on things are alright. Something is wrong with both of them. I kind of noticed Google was gulping quite a bit too. They both gulp alot and every now and then they look like they are trying to throw up (thats the only way I can explain it).

I fed them MM and they both got a pellet and that was it they can't get the food down. They just keep struggling to get something out. I cant see anything in either of their mouths.

Is krill usually hard for them to process? I bought the Sallys brand. They looked so big and when I cut them they were hard.

Can you get a video? I wonder if, instead of something wrong in their months, it is a gill issue? I think the look of constant 'chewing' indicates flukes???

How many prazi rounds have you done? I would send a PM to IMO best. Before we start mixing and matching meds in a bad way.

Jody, I'm glad to hear Peepers is no longer choking (but so sad to hear about Google :rip: ).

Honestly, I would never feed the krill again. Since they are freeze dried they are really meant for fish who can actually chew them. I know my puffer loves them, but he has a full beak.

If you want to use them (I mean you did pay for them!) I would try soaking them in hot water then adding them to a gel food mixture.

Hey Sarah, it's okay about Google things are getting better.

I bought the freezer frozen krill. They were quite large with little eyeballs, I would say about a quarter to a half an inch for just one. I thawed and cut them up thinking they would be okay. I am so scared to feed them now. I was thinking of blending them up in my mini food processer and adding to gell food.

O, they're frozen? How weird!

Maybe chopping them in a food processor is a good idea! I'm so surprised the frozen ones got stuck...

how strange. maybe next time look for 'fine krill' those are the ones I get - they tend to be smaller. :)

I feed my turtles Gammarus - and THOSE are big monsters :o

Peepers is doing much better. He seems himself the last couple of days. He does bottom sit from time to time but with work I am away most of the day so I don't see much of what he does then. I am only keeping lights on for 2-3 hours a day still since he is still recovering. When they are on he is active.