Help! Persistent Cloudiness In New Tank

Guest goldfishbklyn

Guest goldfishbklyn

I'm setting up a 75 gallon planted for my 2 comets. I used Flourite even though some people have complained about cloudiness because it looked like it's really good for plants, and some people didn't seem to have problems, as long as they washed the Flourite really well and took other precautions.

I washed each batch of Flourite VERY thoroughly, then filled the tank using a trickle of water with the hose on a plate, then planted about 25 plants about five days ago, then drained the tank again, then filled the tank again using VERY slowly flowing water on a plate. It was really cloudy at first, then less cloudy, but it seems stuck now, not getting any less cloudy. It doesn't look like a bacterial bloom to me, the haze is more tan than white. (I took a picture to show everyone but I can't figure out how to upload it.)

I'm got an Eheim Pro II going, I've added a 50 micron pad to the usual filter media. I've got the spray bar submerged and pointed at the back wall of the tank. When I emailed Seachem, they said to use filter floss, but I don't see how that would do anything different than the micron filter pad.

I'm about at the end of my rope! I really don't want to try to a flocculent. I'd like to move my fish into this tank, but I won't do it until the water is close to clear.

Any advice would be really great!

I had this happen with sand in my angel tank. Honestly, the only thing to get it to go away is constant water changes and letting the filter do the work. The water changes are important though. It could take weeks for it to clear up. Your fish will be fine in the cloudy water if you think that would be an issue.

Could you test your water parameters to see if it is bacteria bloom? Is this all a new setup? Filters, etc. If it is all new equipment then you wouldnt be ready for a bloom yet. Try the flourite in a seperate tub or spare tank by itself with a filter and see if it is the flourite. Is the tan color of the water match the color of the substrate? Agreed with ashlee18 's post. I think it is just your substrate.

Guest Mike and Linda

I just went throught this and my tank has been cycled for 1 1/2 years. My tank was so cloudy that you could barley see the fish and after it cleared up I went through 1 month of ammonia. I had to do 12 WC in Dec to keep the ammonia under .25 I also tested for Nitrites every day just in case because I have no salt in my tank.

I will go the extra mile just to keep my fish healthy. I don't care how much test kits I go through.

I would test for ammonia every couple of days for while.

I tried that stuff before I went with soil/gravel and never had any luck with it. And ya it well make the tank cloudy. Just keep doing the water changes it well settle down in time.

In the mean time keep doing lots of test to make sure nothing else is going on. And lots of water changes.

I also have a cloudy tank been like that for about 3 weeks now. Please help.

Tank has been cycled for 6 months now. I have 4 gold fish and 4 white cloud minnows.

Tank parameters are perfect 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. pH 7

I do 2x 40% water changes a week and my tank is 40 gallons.

The water seems almost greenish. The algae doesn't seem to be too out of control on the glass and rocks. I haven't added anything new to the tank since it was set up. Same substrate, same filter, same rocks and plants.

I clean my filter once a month with old tank water.

The fish behavior seems pretty normal, very active, very good appetite

Does anyone have any ideas?? :please I don't know what else I can do

Hi Stakos

What is green water?

How did it arise? and is there anything else I can do other than get a UV steraliser?

is the green water bad for the fish??

I've had many fish tanks in the past, and I've never had green water before, how come it happened now?

thanks Stakos

Thanks Stakos,

I've just done lots of google searches too, and I understand it much better now.

Im glad to report that Green algae isn't harmful for the fish, in fact may be even good for them. However just not as aesthetically pleasing.

I'm going to follow Hidr's advice from the other thread and have lights off completely for a few days and see if that at least helps the problem. and probably up my water changes a bit as well to reduce the number of free floating algae.

Thx again stakos for the diagnosis. Been testing water so much and getting actually annoyed that the water parameters keeps coming up normal. Least now I can stop testing my water.

• Supporter

i've been there too as i said.. i tried everything for about 3 weeks and nothing but the sterilizer worked.. hope you can work yours out without having to spend the money on a "unit".. mine's a display tank and although all the fish loved the green water, it was nasty to the human eye lol..

• 2 weeks later...

i've been there too as i said.. i tried everything for about 3 weeks and nothing but the sterilizer worked.. hope you can work yours out without having to spend the money on a "unit".. mine's a display tank and although all the fish loved the green water, it was nasty to the human eye lol..

Hi all, just an update for anyone else that might have had the same problem as me.

after the help from stakos, I switched off my aquarium light for 1 week, no light at all except during feedings. And also did 4 40% water changes in that week. Now the tank is all clear once again :thumbup2:

I now have my light on again, but I have reduced it to 6 hrs per day, whereas I previously had it for 12 hrs per day. Back to doing 2x water changes again. Hopefully the problem doesn't return.

I'm happy I didn't have to get a UV steraliser like stakos.

Yay