Whada You Lookin' At

austinado16

Cracks me up how our single tails attack fresh fruit, so I thought I'd try and capture some of the fun. This is our original Comet, who started out as a 25cent feeder in a 1 gallon plastic "Fish-TV" type goldfish bowl. He's now close to 8". Below him is our other Comet, now about 6".

FishEatingLemonDec122010.jpg

Edited by austinado16

I made mine. It's one of those floating feeding rings that has a stick and suction cup to attach it to the side of the tank. I've attached that plastic clothes pin....I think it's actually for closing a potatoe chip bag....with a plastic tie-wrap.

They look really cute! I love the way the fish attacks the fruit :)

By the way, is that lemon?

And the other Comet below is like, WHAT ARE YOU DOING with my fruit?!

Edited by Dawn

• Supporter

great pic.. i'd be a tad worried with that spot of rust showing where the metal hits the plastic though. the veggie clips supplied/sold to aquarists are 100% plastic..

i have to try lime.. never thought they'd like it.. your guys seem to be having a ball with it.. :)

I'm impressed with how big they's gotten! I will have to try the fruit with Fluffy. He sure loves his fresh food - except for carrots. He pretty much ignores those.

:gcar:

You can probably find those potatoe chip bag clips at the dollar store, or craft store, or even the grocery store. I just happened to have a couple, and I already had the floating feeder hoop, so I just combined the 2. It's only in the water for a short period while they're eating the pulp out of the orange/lemon/lime/cucumber, so it's not hanging there 24/7.

Limes are really funny. They can't keep themselves from eating it, but when they get a mouthful they make the funniest face...and then come back for more. Like kids eating sweet tarts!

• Supporter

What a great shot! You really captured the moment :)

I picked up a suction clip from Pet*Smart... it was pretty inexpensive and has come in super handy!

Edited by amoonklein

This is a great photo! They really like lemons!?

Yes, like you wouldn't believe. Lemons, limes, oranges, avocado, the crushed garlic that comes in little glass jars (take a pinch, smash it a bit more with my finger, and then dump into the tank.....I follow garlic feedings with a slice of fruit), cucumber, canned organic pees (pinch the skin off and drop what's left of the pea right into the water. They love it all. BTW, their daily food is "Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flake." They get that once daily, in the morning, and have for almost a year now. I scoop up about a 1/4 cup or so of tank water, put a pinch of flakes into that, swish it around to get it wet and sinking, and then toss it all into the tank. It immediately sinks and the sharks feed. The spray bar and burried bubble wand produce a nice "down the glass" circulation, so the flakes stay in orbit nicely and the fish get to do their hunting thing.

Moonklein, your photos are gorgeous. What's your secret weapon? I've got a Canon 50D (not what I took this photo with)and a 50mm/1.4 lens and still struggle with getting consistanly good, detailed, crisp, shots. Even with my 28-70/2.8L it's a challenge. I only shoot in manual mode and have no problem tweaking the ISO/SS/F-stop, but still...Talk to me!

Edited by austinado16