Planaria

Guest danilykins

Guest danilykins

When I did a water change today, I noticed white specks floating in my tank, they were tiny to maybe a cm long. after some research and many different pictures off of google, it seems like I have a Planaria infestation. I read the cause and it makes since, I haven't been able to clean the gravel in a while, and have only been doing surface water changes. I do have a under gravel filter along with my external filter. My question is, will these Planaria hurt my Platy's?

They won't hurt your fish, they are just gross to look at.

You should probably take the under gravel filter out. Unless you are cleaning it regularly, it gets gunked up really quick and causes more harm than good.

Guest danilykins

hmmm.. ok, I just bought the filter about 3 weeks ago.

How do you clean the undergravel filter if I decide to keep it? isn't it just basically remove all the gunk under the under gravel filter??

how do I get rid of the Planaria?

To get rid of the planaria you need to feed less and do thorough gravel cleaning at every water change. Once their food supply is gone the planaria will disappear. :)