Filters For Goldfish

Breaking this out of my other thread since the topic has changed a bit.

I purchased a 55 gallon tank and stand (to replace my 30 gal). Working out the details on the hood (most likely getting a glass hood vs plastic, plus two lights for freshwater - that help grow plants). I plan on having the tank in a diff spot so it won't be getting as much direct sunlight. I was assured they were good lights and a better spectrum I just do not recall brand. The glass hoods seemed to look a little nicer.

Problem: Filters! So this one - http://www.amazon.co...5/dp/B0027J94EU - Eheim Pro 3, 330 gph... I asked the shop to order it for me vs using two filters (my 2213 and a a new 2215) but that combined is only 280gph. Anywho, the shop looked at me and acted like I was *INSANE* for wanting the Eheim Pro 3 for the 55gal tank I wanted. They also argued with me with the fact that I was buying a Nitrate tester. I understood their points (not really harming the fish per say) but I wasn't feeling like arguing about Goldfish when half of their goldfish there were all floaty.

I want to not spend a ton of $$$ (already down $300 due to the 30 gal that I will now need to sell). I do understand that HOB's are better here but I am set on canister, quietness is too important to me in my small little apt!

So basically, is the Eheim Pro 3 too much? Should I get a pro 2? Should I have two smaller filters like a 2213 and a 2215? What is best (for a canister?) --I do plan to stick with the ehiem brand.

Thank you SO much for your help everyone. Thanks to you all I am finally getting this down right.

• Admin

Well with that filter you would get the filtration you need, but personally having 2 canisters will be better in the long run. This way if one goes out you have a back up filter :)

Well with that filter you would get the filtration you need, but personally having 2 canisters will be better in the long run. This way if one goes out you have a back up filter :)

Is it really necessary to have a filter that powerful for a 55 gallon tank? A pro 3? I mean the girl at the store practically called me crazy.

They usually think all us goldfish lovers are crazy. At my lfs the guy said it was a waste that I was using my 180 for goldfish. They probably think you are getting unnecessary things, which you are not. I agree and say to get the smaller filter to use with your current one. But if you really don't want the two, go for the pro 3.

Don't worry about the people at petstores, they usually got no clue about goldfish keeping. After all they're selling people bowls for keeping goldfish in them, so what do you expect...

I have come across a few sorta knowledgeable people at petstores though.

• Admin

Oh yes you need alot of filtration with goldfish, there just so dirty and if you dont have enough current in the tank and you got ornaments or things like that you could have stagnate water if the filters arent strong enough hun.

Wow thank you soooo much it explains a whole lot. If I keep the 2213 and buy the 2215 and have two going... according to this forum that is not enough gph... or is that not a bad thing? Also, could I get away with the pro 2? Or is the pro 3 just the way to go here. Even I feel a little silly considering a filter that can go up to 160 gallons for a 55 gallon tank O_o

Zahhh this is a tough decision!

They look at YOU like you're crazy because THEY don't know about goldfish.

I have had employees try to interrogate me about whether I have enough tank space, especially when I get schooling fish. My response is that they will be going into a 10 gallon tank. When they start to say something, I explain my QT process. I like to see the sigh of relief.

When I am in the stores, I try to say as little as possible. :rolleyes:

Edited by Grace

If I keep the 2213 and buy the 2215 and have two going... according to this forum that is not enough gph... or is that not a bad thing?

Well if you are worried about the gph, get the pro 3 and add it to your current filter. That way you have both filters and closer gph. How many gph does the pro 3 do?

• Admin

So if this is the 55 gal tank you will need a filtration system of 550 GPH.... So if the pro 3 does 330 then you will need 220 more filtration to get to the min of the gph. :)

Now you could try with just the pro3 but you will find your self doing alot of water changes to keep the water good :(

Get the big filter and enjoy having crystal clear, clean water, silence, and peace of mind that your fish are going to remain healthy with minimal effort from now on.

I had a my Fluval 405 on my 30 long, and then used it on my 55G vintage tank, and now use it on my 70G vintage tank. It's 340gph and exits into the tank via a spray bar that's nearly full length running across the top rear of the tank at the water line. I have it loaded with about 3lbs of Fluval's BioMax ceramic cylinders, plus 2 micro polishing pads, and they're sharing space in a 2 trays (8 trays total in 4 baskets) with some denitrate granules.

I'm doing water changes about every 8 days and the water stays crystal clear. The Fluval is my only filter, however I do have a Rio400 pond pump at the opposite corner from the Fluval's pickup tube. I have a long pickup tube on the Rio and a duck bill fitting on it's outlet. It's job is simply to suck water out of that corner area of the tank and lift it out and above the water line at the top...for better oxygenation and circulation at that end of the tank.

I have 3 very large single tails; 2 in the 8" range and a 3rd about 6" now.

My advice is to just order all you stuff online at any of the various aquarium supplies, or Amazon, or even ebay. All the knowledge you could ever need regarding keeping goldfish is right here (I'm not including myself as I'm still learning) and there's really no need to wander into a local fish store and ask about anything. As you've found, it just turns into a big joke.

with goldfish you can never have too much filtration. It is one (if not the most) important part in a set up. In my 200Gal I have a pond filter for a 2000Gal pond - it turns 4000Gals an hour. In my other tanks I also have the 10x - 15x turnover.

Get the largest you can afford :)

I have a 32 gallon tank and use two AquaClear 50 filters. 200 gallons/hour each. So more that 10x gph. I like running 2 instead of, say one AC 110(500 gph)...because if one fails there is still one working, keeping my BBs alive!

Edited by Red

You guys are amazing.... Amazing amazing!

If my canisters ever fail, I would probably return it if it is under warranty, or buy a new one and swap the media.

Speaking of which. Would it be alright, once I get the 55gal tank and fill it, to hook up my 2213 and the new pro3... and for how long? The point of hooking my 2213 to the tank would be to jumpstart the cycle, making it able for me to put my goldie back in.

Edited by Auryn

Definately run your existing filter. In fact, I'd take some of the media out of your existing, and put it inside the canister, amongst the canister's new media. For example, if you're going to run several drawers full of media, put some of the existing media in each drawer.

IMO.....you're going to have so much water as compared to fish waste production that you'll have little to no problem with water paramaeters. You can dose with a Amquel Plus to better manage water params, and there are some excellent system jump starters out there if you want to go that route. Personally, I'd just tranfer all of the water from the 30 into the 55 (and gravel/decor), along with the HOB filter, add the fish, top off with fresh water...dosing with Amquel Plus, and enjoy.

If the canister doesn't come with micro polishing pads, I highly recommend them. The water will be beautiful.

I started off here not knowing much, when I thought I knew it! The Koko nuts straightened me right out, in a nice way of course. I am running 2 HOB filters that equal 730gph and a sponge filter that says it's for a 70gallon tank. I have learned you can almost never have too much filtration.

Unfortunately I cannot do a HOB filter, the sound drives me to drink and I have such a small apt that, well, I can't get away from the sound. Hence the reason why I am trying to get the most powerful canister filters I can afford lol.

LOL at koko nuts, I love it! :rofl

Yeah if the other two filters are already being used you can use them to jump start the next tank like "austinado16" said. i have started alot of tanks this way :)

I just have one filter in use, and am going to get more. I would hook my old filter to the new tank to jumpstart my cycle, and even add water from my old tank as austinado said.

Whew, this is excellent news! I wasn't sure how I was going to do this lol.

• Admin

Then if there is only one old filter hun, i would take some of the filter floss from the old one and put it in the new one, this will help that filter get the BB's it needs faster hun :)