Whats Wrong W/ My Platy

Guest danilykins

Guest danilykins

I posted this on another forum but either they don't know whats wrong or they have nothing to say on the topic.

Water 10Gal 2platys

NitrAte: 5 (?)

NitrIte 0

Ammonia 0

Ph 7.8

temp 80

treatment ich solution (not sure it has ich though), some aquarium salt, no filter, melafix Fed in the AM small pinch for 2 fish

other fish shows NO sign of illness,lost a swordtail, and a snail.Sunset Platy just lays there. He swims up for food once in a while.

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

I think the problem might be no filtration. How often do you change the water? Can you answer all of these questions below?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Guest danilykins

No filtration?? I have two filters in the tank, an undergravel filter and an external one. for for 10gal tanks.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5 not sure why

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8 ph

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6,5 ph

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops API

[*]Water temperature? 80f

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?10gal running for about a year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aqueon 10gal and Aquatic Gardens under gravel filter 10gal

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? usually 1/week 10%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 sunset platy about 1 inch mickey platy about 1 inch (Ive had them both for about 3 months now)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? I treat with melafix and sometimes PH up if needed

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? flakes small pinch every morning

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no new fish

[*]Any medications added to the tank? thought the sunset platy had ich so I did a round of ich treatment, didn't improve. added aquarium salt to help with stress and some melafix

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? look at above photos.. mickey platy shows NO symptoms

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? listless, lays on bottom, limp body, will get like a burst of energy and swim to the top for about 10 seconds or so, then goes back to the bottom.

Guest danilykins

Just did a partial water change (about 25%) and there were these little white things floating in the water (after I started doing the gravel filter) they kinda looked "feathery" some were tiny others were somewhat large, maybe a cm long. its that just old food or some sort of parasite?

Guest danilykins

Ive answered your questions and nobody has any advice to give me? :( Poor guy is just laying there on the rocks looking pathetic and nobody has a thing to say :( thats sad

he has lost those scales that turned white, and now there are red areas underneath those scales. but he still just lays there, gotta tap the tank to see if he is still alive.

Edited by danilykins

So Sorry to hear this about your fish :( It does not look like ich to me so I wouldn't treat it for ich,and good clean water is always a good first start :) Do you have any live plants in this tank?the reason i ask is... if your tank is cycled most non planted tanks will have a reading of 10-20 in nitrates, and you only have 5 so i'm thinking your not completely cycled yet??do you have any air curtains or bubble wands,dashing to the surface seems to make me think not enough oxygen??have you recently changed gravel,or filter media recently?maybe you had a bump in your cycle??It could also be you brought a sick fish :( I do hope he feels better asap :)

Guest danilykins

The tank just finished re cycling due to a stupid mistake i made. The water is clear and testing just fine. No I have no live plants. I have a bubble wand in there along with the external filter. I have 3 guppies and a snail that is just fine, just this poor platy doesn't want to "perk up" for me.

fish.png

this is how he just lays there

Edited by danilykins

Guest danilykins

What it said on the box, 1 tablespoon/5gal, so I put in 2 for my 10gal tank. Water has been changed since then and so I added about 1 tablespoon when I did the water change. So since the water change, I have added conditioner, 1 tablespoon Asalt, and melafix. Today is another water change day, I will do it sometime today, not sure when though.

You only have the two platies? Have you noticed if the other platy is picking on it or chasing it around? Are the platies male or female?

When platies lose their scales like that it can also be from stress, for example if it is being chased a lot.

Guest danilykins

They are male, and I don't notice any chasing of any sort. The other one will kinda sit around him, like he knows he's sick. but there was never any nipping. He just lays there looking depressed. I increased the air hoping it would help a bit but no such luck. it seems to be a waiting game right now. the isn't showing any symptoms but the laying there on the gravel, and the missing scales. Im thinking that maybe he injured himself somehow, and the scales fell off, by would him recovering from the injury cause him to just lay around?

Ive answered your questions and nobody has any advice to give me? :( Poor guy is just laying there on the rocks looking pathetic and nobody has a thing to say :( thats sad

Probably most people are like me and don't have any good advice to give. Better to say nothing than to give bad advice that could cause more harm than good.

Was the platy listless before the ich treatment or did he get worse when you added the treatment? What treatment did you use? Sorry about all the questions but I'm trying to get a better picture of what might be wrong. :)

Guest danilykins

no worries, I don't mind. he was listless before treatment. I gave him Wardley Essentials Ick away. It treats, fungus and external parasites. He does seem to get a "boost" of energy after I give the melafix, but goes right back. I was watching him in the tank and the way he moves it looks like it hurts him to use the fin on the side that had the damaged scales. He almost scoots on the rocks to get where he wants, but if I try and put him in the net he moves and swims normally to the other side of the tank, then drops like a rock to the bottom on the other side of the tank. he can use all his fins and they are not clamped or anything. Just those red spots where he lost his scales. They look like they have some white that is going over the red spots, is it healing or can it be fungus?

I re-tested the water today.

PH 7.5 -7.8

AM 0

NI 0

NA 0 *yeah*

temp around 80

Guest danilykins

Probably most people are like me and don't have any good advice to give. Better to say nothing than to give bad advice that could cause more harm than good.

I understand and Im sorry Im frustrated. I just don't want the little guy to suffer.

Poor little guy. :( To be honest I think it is possible that he injured himself and since you were having some trouble with your cycle his injuries got infected. The Wardley Essentials Ick away is malachite green which is very strong and it probably affected your cycle even more. Have you completely removed the treatment from the tank? Either by a few big water changes or some carbon in your filter? Once you are sure the meds are out you could try using both melafix and pimafix. You can leave the salt in. You will probably need to do water changes every few days to make sure his water is perfect so he can heal.

I've had success using a combo of melafix/pimafix because then you treat both fungus and bacterial problems. Hopefully it isn't too late to help him get better. :)

Guest danilykins

I have removed the Wardleys stuff since I did the original post on the 19th. I have put the carbon filter back in when I did the water change this evening (about 25-30% gravel filtration) Ive never used pimafix before. I haven't replaced the salt since I initially put it in, since it killed my snail. I have since then replaced the snail. The lady at the fish store told me to dissolve the salt next time and it wont hurt the snail. But Im still leery of it. How long do you think he should start acting normal after I treat with melafix and pimafix? he has been like this a little over 2 weeks now. I just hope its not too late. Hubby is starting to call me Darla the fish killer :P

Usually the pimafix/melafix should work in a few days. 2 weeks is a long time poor little guy. Have you had him long. I know when I kept platies and mollies it was hard to get hardy ones. I lost quite a few before I got a full healthy tank.

When you use the melafix with the pimafix you use a complete dose of both meds. It will smell strong and probably foam quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Guest danilykins

Ok, I will try and run out and get some, but family is coming in today for the holidays *sigh* Ive had the platy for about 6 months now. its been a challenge with the platies. I always get a stray dead one where I cant figure out why they died. That happened to my swordtail about 3 weeks ago.So that is why Ive switched to guppies lol, try a different species. I used to do fancy goldfish (I was on this board a long time ago and it seems the board was reformed and all my old posts were deleted) and they were fun and easy (only issue I ever had was swim bladder problems) but with only 1 per 10gal they weren't much fun for my son. When we get a bigger tank (our goal is a 50gal) I may get a fancy goldfish again, I miss them.

Ok I well give the best advice I can.

Do a 80 percent water change. Add some salt according to the box. DO NOT add any other meds. Do the larger water changes every other day till the fish gets better and add salt each time.

When the fish gets well get rid of the underground filter. They cause more illnesses then they help. Or set it up for reverse flow. (No clue how that is done so you well have to do some research.)

Meds should NEVER be the first thing you do. Water changes should always be the first step when you have sick fish no matter what your readings are cause there are things we just don't test for and then add salt.

Medications should always be the last resort.