Ph Drop And Crushed Coral

Our tap water is/was at about 7.3 - 7.4 so I am using crushed coral for a few months now to keep it at a nice, stable 7.6

I noticed lately though that the pH is dropping a bit, down to about 7.1, and the tank pH is 7.2, even with the bag of crushed coral in the filter. I have one 15" bubble bar and two air stones on full blast 24/7.

I thought crushed coral lasts for a while, or is there another reason? I recently rinsed it in tank water again to get some gunk out.

My fish don't seem affected by the lower pH at all (chain store survivors seem to be so hardy compared to the ones that were raised in perfect conditions!), and honestly I'm more worrying about the tropical tank and the snails in there.

I know tropicals like it more acidic, but I did a lot of googling about the types of fish we got and found that they all can be kept in up to 7.8 pH with no problems. I lost my first snail due to shell corrosion months ago, I'd really like to avoid something like that, and try to keep the pH at about 7.5 plus offer the snails a cuttlefish bone to get some extra minerals and calcium.

Is there a rule of thumb of how much crushed coral will affect so much water a certain degree? I don't want to put too much in there and end up raising the pH to 9 or something like that (I'm exaggerating here).

The tropical tank gets only 25% weekly water change, so with 7.1 tap and 7.5 tank there should be only a very insignificant fluctuation in pH of 0.1 difference. 0.2 at the most if the water change is a bit bigger.

I'm not sure if I want to get into changing the pH in the goldfish tank too much, as I am changing at least 75% of the water about twice a week. I'd have to age more than 40 gallons of water twice a week, I have no room for tubs for that. Plus that would be a disaster with my water loving cat and my almost blind dog. :doh11:

I am not sure what the rule of thumb is for crushed coral. I think it would depend on how fine the coral is crushed, gph of filter and water parameters to begin with. For my ph problems it was trial and error until I finally found something that worked. I now use Nutrifin PH Stabalizer to get my 7.0 tap to 7.6 before a wc and I maintain the ph during the week with crushed coral. I use about 1.5 cups of coral per 27 gallons. I did a lot of bucket testing to figure it out what worked. I hear many members use Buff it UP.

• Admin

Since you have snails they are taking up all the KH in the water making the PH drop down hun.... some times Coral cant keep it up there if the minerals are being taking away to fast.... in a situation like this I would advise BIU hun, this way it will stay stable on the KH and PH side :)

Since you have snails they are taking up all the KH in the water making the PH drop down hun.... some times Coral cant keep it up there if the minerals are being taking away to fast.... in a situation like this I would advise BIU hun, this way it will stay stable on the KH and PH side :)

The lower pH is not only in the tropical tank with the snails, but also the goldi tank and the tap water. Anyway, I added some crushed coral today, and the goldi tank is now at 7.5 and the tropical at 7.3 I will test again later tonight in case it goes up much higher, so I can remove some so I don't get a pH spike over night. :)