Common Tank

jbo

Hi there,

A month or two ago, I mentioned that I had ended up with 19 common/comet goldfish (their tails are somewhere in between the two) in a 29 ga tank to save them. You'll be glad to know that 6 of them are now living in a tank with my girlfriend. The tank is only 10ga, but the ones she took were all 1-1.5 inches long while some of the ones that were left were closer to 3 or 4 inches. I think these must have had their growth stunted while they were in the pond the kept getting filled with chlorinated water. They never grew when I had them. They seemed very happy. If their fins got any more erect, they would tear off :-)

The 13 remaining fish in the 29ga tank were a bit morose at first. I think they missed their tankmates, but at least now I dont have to clean them every other day.. now it's more like every 3 :-p

I know they're still overcrowded, but well.. it's a little better :) I was looking at 300ga rubbermaid stock tanks the other day and drooling. I wish I had a place for one for these fish to live in :D

Jim

Aw I love commons and comets! I had originally planned to get all fancies when I got my 100 gallon but Ive now somehow ended up with just as many commons/comets as fancies! :P I love them all though and it makes me so happy to know Ive saved them from being feeders!

Its good that some were taken off your hands but they do sound awfully crowded still. They will be stunted if they have to stay there too long. :( Is there a possibility of getting say a couple different 20 gallon rubbermaid tubs? That way you could divide them all up a little more! Plus a lot of those tubs are nice and long so they could have lots of swimming room. :)

Hey you, I think it's really neat that you have some comet/common rescues. I'm in the same boat most all of my fish are comet/common rescues and right now we are a little overcrowded too. I'm starting to replace all my tanks but for now have to clean like crazy to stay on top of their water. Wow I did not know Rubbermaid made a 300 gallon tub. Woooow :happydance I hope you get the space you need and good luck with your little fish. Carrie :hi

Wow I did not know Rubbermaid made a 300 gallon tub.

They're actually stock tanks that they make for feeding cows and horses and such. You can order them through most feed stores for around $200 I think. They come with a neat little drainage hole near the bottom that you can hitch an external filter to :)

Jim

Its good that some were taken off your hands but they do sound awfully crowded still. They will be stunted if they have to stay there too long. :( Is there a possibility of getting say a couple different 20 gallon rubbermaid tubs? That way you could divide them all up a little more! Plus a lot of those tubs are nice and long so they could have lots of swimming room. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have room for such tubs. I may be moving this summer and am looking for a house with a heated/finished basement or a concrete pad so I can have some bigger tanks. The goldfish do fine and most of them are even growing well with 2-3 water changes a week. I'm more worried about my poor jack dempsey cichlid which is stuck in a 10ga tank (he should have a 55ga tank to himself ideally).

Jim

Guess what, at Canadian Tire I saw a pop up pool, all you do is unfold it and fill it with water....400 gallons for 24.99 Canadian :rofl

Wahoo!

But you said you did not have enough space, this pool is 8 feet in diameter, so it would not work for you. I mean, where would most people fit an 8 foot wide pool in their home heeheehee.

But if anyone else is looking....haahaa :lol

Jessica

Archived