Something I Saw At A Local Chain Store

ashlee18

I've heard of these guys before but have never seen them. For the first time ever I saw a tattooed molly. I asked the fish guy about them because I know how controversial they are. He said, that even though he personally owns the store, it is still part of the chain meaning that he has to carry them. I also questioned the price, since the regular mollies there are 1.99 and they were 7.99. I've read about most places selling them for 4.99 tops. These mollies were actually tattooed in the US, which I assume is illegal, and not imported from china. The place that supplies these mollies supposedly uses an anesthetic which is why they were more expensive.

Don't shoot me for this, but I thought they were kinda cool looking. I hate it on goldies and parrot fish because it looks stupid but I didn't really think the same with the mollies. I honestly don't know if I would or wouldn't buy one though. I know it promotes the mutilated fish but I'll never say never.

Here is a pic that I snuck

871006422_photobucket_13802_.jpg

Now I do want to know what you all think. But keep it nice. And if I shouldn't be posting this, please delete or lock it.

Welllll, I really don't agree with it, but I can't say too much because I have "strawberry" and "blueberry" tetras which are injected with the colors, apparently. The pics you posted are kind of neat, I'm obviously wishy washy on the subject :D

I think it's definitely inhumane. I've heard a lot of bad things about the methods they use, and it is very hard on the fish. I think most of the fish that go through it actually die from it, but it depends on the particular method used.

But all that aside, I wouldn't buy them just because I think it looks dumb! A big heart drawn on the side of a fish? Really?! No thanks! lol I can see why little kids would love these though, and I would bet that's the majority of people who buy them.

• Supporter

this was posted before... they anesthetized for a few minutes whilst they are tattooed and then thrown into salty water whilst they are still asleep!.. yowch!.. i wouldn't buy one to promote this cruelty in a fit..

i htink it looks intresting i wouldnt buy them though i also get the mental image of some drugged up kid grabbing a molly out of his fish tank and jsut start tattooing it :rolleyes: people have gone from self-mutilating themselves to self mutilating fish and other animals ear piercing for pets is becoming more and more popular or so ive heard. cats and horses with little studs. i mean i like to use vegtable dye on my sisters poodle but but that wears off in less then a week and is not in any way harmful it wont cuase infection,it doesnt cuase scaring and its not painful and with a pet like a dog who just adores attention she just loves it becuase strangers who never noticed her before just run right up to pet her.

Well something funny. I just got an email from the fish guy. He took my questions to his supplier (That sounds weird) Anyway...the breeder is the one that did that to the fish. I can't imagine doing that to one of my bettas or angels. I put too much time and effort into them, it would be a shame to kill them for a novelty look.

Well not really funny...but funny that he emailed me right after I posted this.

Edited by ashlee18

No way these guys would even be sold in Switzerland with all the animal laws we have!

Besides, I agree with Sakura, they are pretty tacky!

Oh my! I have never heard of this before! :o

I have seen dye injected fish, but never tattood!

Stakos and I were just joking around the other day since I couldnt find a nice calico ryukin, we thought I could just tattoo myself one... but we were only mucking around.... I cant believe people actually do this! :o :o

Actually.... to be honest, nothing surprises me anymore...

I personally don't agree with this type of practice. I don't think it's good for the fish at all! I think, if you don't like the fish to begin with, you should not transform the look just to be interested in it. Buy them for there natural beauty, or don't buy them at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall hearing the death rates for dyed parrotfish cichlids (when wither dyed or tattooed) was 30% PLUS

Just to clarify terms here, by dyed I mean the process of stripping a fish's slime coat and dying it by submergence in a solution. "Jellybean fish" (Dyed parrotfish) are an example. Tattooing fish I'm assuming is done with a tatt gun as with any other tattoo.

I would assume higher rates for a smaller and more easily injured fish like these. ):

Not to mention dyed fish generally have shorter lifespans thanks to the toxins that leech from the dye for there entire life. I would assume the same for tattooed fish. Theres a place here that stocks 'blueberry' and 'strawberry' oscars, in reality just dyed lutinos. (And thats why I went to the extra expense to order Chacha, my oscar, in through the other much more ethical store) Blueberry oscars are dyed blue, strawberries a vibrant pink/red.

The process of strawberry oscars especially confuses me, since there's pink ones like Chacha naturally, and with selective breeding all red very vibrant oscars can be produced. However instead of investing in a good breeding program to produce attractive healthy specimens (because lets be honest, the majority of fish in petstores are mass produced sickly creatures to make money with little regard to there health, just look at the tanks crammed with common 'feeder' goldfish for example) , they would rather take the 'quick and easy' approach. :ill

I think they look cute in a tacky kind of way, but no way could I purchase such fish and support suck a horrid trade. ):

The worst thing is dyed fish look attractive, even natural so people buy them without even knowing the cruelty behind the trade

250x187x1_87432.jpg

(jellybean fish)

Wow. I had no idea! None. Why we mess with Mother Nature's perfection is beyond me.

I suppose if there were some way to communicate with fish, and one of mine had a burning desire to tattoo "Lola", "Jaws", or "Bad To The Bone" on his/her side....well then I'd take them to a reputable tattoo artist. But beyond that, I think it's sad and stupid.

But all that aside, I wouldn't buy them just because I think it looks dumb! A big heart drawn on the side of a fish? Really?!

I saw these recently (from that pic, looks like the same chain store) and half had a heart on them, while the other half had LOVE. It was shocking to see a fish swimming around with a word on it. My brain kept going "huh? A fish can't have a word on it!" I thought it looked dumb too, and a word written on the side of a live animal was creepy.

I suggest you read about the tattooing process and then you can decide for yourself if you want a tattooed fish. From what I've read I'd go with no.

These tattooed fish are not my "cup of tea" as they say. I think they could be pretty, it seems the tattoo work is sloppy. I have seen a tattooed fish I found pretty before. I have no issues with un-natural aquarium fish and if these modifications can be done humanly, I have no issues with it.